Odds and Ends

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Nabs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 pm

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/03/overhauling-the-farm-bill-the-real-beneficiaries-of-subsidies/254422/

try reading that, there is some good info, I do no know how to stop the abuse of megafarms
Nabs
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Easy, Slow. Not all farmers are eligible for subsidies.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jun/10 ... -subsidy10

That's why I didn't say all farmers. :huh: Not trying to pillory every guy out there. Some of them genuinely need help but they can't get it - because the guys that don't need it won't get out of the way.

I can see how farmers that aren't moochers and are genuinely working & dealing with the pain of a free market would not want to be associated with those that are still working the very same nipple that was extended them during the Great Depression.

Seems to me that the reason that the nipple-latched hate Detroit welfare queens is that they fear they might get pulled away with a loud *POP!* and someone that doesn't suck on it for 70 years may be put in their place.
Last edited by slowshooter on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:20 pm

slowshooter wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Easy, Slow. Not all farmers are eligible for subsidies.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jun/10 ... -subsidy10

That's why I didn't say all farmers. :huh: Not trying to pillory every guy out there. Some of them genuinely need help but they can't get it - because the guys that don't need it won't get out of the way.

I can see how farmers that aren't moochers and are genuinely working and dealing with the pain of a free market would not want to be associated with those that are are still working the very same nipple that was extended them during the Great Depression.

Seems to me that the reason that the nipple-latched hate Detroit welfare queens is that they fear they might get pulled away with a loud *POP!* and someone that doesn't suck on it for 70 years may be put in their place.

Ok. Maybe I read more into this quote than you really meant. My bad.

slowshooter wrote:Hey, there's no point in being a welfare momma if it costs you personal capital. Most people would just stop.

Not the Farmers - they just go keep that taxpayer support on the down low......
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:50 pm

No problem man. I'm hot under the collar because there is ZERO reason for farming interests to be relying on handouts meant to save dustbowl farmers living in the 1930s.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:08 am

slowshooter wrote:No problem man. I'm hot under the collar because there is ZERO reason for farming interests to be relying on handouts meant to save dustbowl farmers living in the 1930s.

What is amazing is that the fruit crop farmers don't get subsidies and they also have to produce a product at a price point that is inline with fruits brought in from other countries.
I'd be curious to see what a gallon of milk would cost in a straight market.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:19 am

clampdaddy wrote:
slowshooter wrote:No problem man. I'm hot under the collar because there is ZERO reason for farming interests to be relying on handouts meant to save dustbowl farmers living in the 1930s.

What is amazing is that the fruit crop farmers don't get subsidies and they also have to produce a product at a price point that is inline with fruits brought in from other countries.

IIRC those price supports are also from the 30s and we pay approximately twice as much as we should for milk. The thing is, not all dairy farmers are supported at the same level.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:26 am

slowshooter wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

IIRC those price supports are also from the 30s and we pay approximately twice as much as we should for milk. The thing is, not all dairy farmers are supported at the same level.

The dairy industry is strange that way. I have some family that does well with it, but most of them have sold all of their cows and went into almond or walnut trees.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 am

Not sure why but the walnuts in California are prized in Europe. Especially by the Middle Eastern expats.
A buddy of mine has to send them back to his Persian mom every year or she will give him a stern talking to - and she means business!

Sounds like they made a good choice!
slowshooter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:06 am

slowshooter wrote:Not sure why but the walnuts in California are prized in Europe. Especially by the Middle Eastern expats.
A buddy of mine has to send them back to his Persian mom every year or she will give him a stern talking to - and she means business!

Sounds like they made a good choice!

Thing is, almonds and walnuts aren't staple foods. They're luxury food crops that we sell to other countries (the biggest buyers being counties or areas that we often have shaky relations with). If we ever get into a bad enough pissing match with China that they decide to quit buying our almonds, it'll hurt really bad. But hey, maybe if the Chinese call our debt and we can't pay them in real money, maybe they'll take almonds. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Most of the middle east seems to live on lamb, goat and poultry. Pigs are out. And beef is pretty pricey. So many supplant animal proteins eating a diet of legume and nuts. Keeps you alive and is cheaper than raising critters for slaughter.

Dang it. Now you gone and made me think of one of my dream vacations. Hunting ducks in the marshes out there would be awesome. Mallards from the Cradle of Civilization would be great.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 pm

So did Butta and MOe drop out of this thread? Or just flat out run oft. O.F.T. Oft.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32 pm

slowshooter wrote:Most of the middle east seems to live on lamb, goat and poultry. Pigs are out. And beef is pretty pricey. So many supplant animal proteins eating a diet of legume and nuts. Keeps you alive and is cheaper than raising critters for slaughter.

Dang it. Now you gone and made me think of one of my dream vacations. Hunting ducks in the marshes out there would be awesome. Mallards from the Cradle of Civilization would be great.

The ducks in the Tigris Euphrates system are long gone because there is not enough water to support a wetland habitat, human needs in a dry climate caused that swamp to be drained. The diets of the middle east is dominated by rice, most of it from California, except in Egypt where they still grow enough rice to feed themselves. As we speak a good portion of this years crop is on board vessels bound for various ports over there. The lucky few that can afford meat at all do indeed choose from the menu you listed.

Like dux in the Sac Valley the Arabs depend on Calrose rice for their nutrition.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:52 am

Butta boom wrote:
slowshooter wrote:Most of the middle east seems to live on lamb, goat and poultry. Pigs are out. And beef is pretty pricey. So many supplant animal proteins eating a diet of legume and nuts. Keeps you alive and is cheaper than raising critters for slaughter.

The ducks in the Tigris Euphrates system are long gone because there is not enough water to support a wetland habitat, human needs in a dry climate caused that swamp to be drained. The diets of the middle east is dominated by rice, most of it from California, except in Egypt where they still grow enough rice to feed themselves. As we speak a good portion of this years crop is on board vessels bound for various ports over there. The lucky few that can afford meat at all do indeed choose from the menu you listed.

Like dux in the Sac Valley the Arabs depend on Calrose rice for their nutrition.

True! Rice is a primary staple there. That pilaf doesn't make itself.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 am

You would think with the all the rice grown in Egypt they would have at least one person there to champion the architecture of all those rice wetlands to save the ducks? Slow perhaps there is a chance for you to play Adam or "Eve" yet?

http://www.greenprophet.com/2011/03/res ... arshlands/
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:03 am

slowshooter wrote:Most of the middle east seems to live on lamb, goat and poultry. Pigs are out. And beef is pretty pricey. So many supplant animal proteins eating a diet of legume and nuts. Keeps you alive and is cheaper than raising critters for slaughter.....

That's a good point that I hadn't really thought about. Foods that will keep for a long time and not need refrigeration could actually be a staple food in places with limited access to electricity.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:15 am

I know because i look like an arab. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 am

marsh-mello wrote:You would think with the all the rice grown in Egypt they would have at least one person there to champion the architecture of all those rice wetlands to save the ducks? Slow perhaps there is a chance for you to play Adam or "Eve" yet?

http://www.greenprophet.com/2011/03/res ... arshlands/

Honestly? I would go there for a hunt.
slowshooter
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting