youth camp

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

youth camp

Postby quigby979 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:41 am

I just finished watching on one of the hunting/fishing channels a woodie duck camp given to new young hunters. It was classroom to teach about the conservation, ID, habitat. Their was outdoor teaching about duck hunting blinds, decoys, setups and planning a hunt. The kids also shot clays and safety. At the end they went on a actual hunt. It was done in Minnesota. Pretty cool event. Is their anything like that in California? Could be done the week before the JR hunt weekend.
quigby979
hunter

Re: youth camp

Postby bugman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:31 am

This type of class is offered in the advanced hunter education classes on waterfowl hunting. See my previous post on these classes. They are great, but they are not just for juniors. There are also classes on other game hunting - turkey, deer, pig, upland birds and other topics. Look at the CA F&G website under hunting and then under hunter education classes. Try them, you'll like them.
bugman
hunter

Postby Run&Gun » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:27 am

we have something close to this, we are based out of Fresno but usually hold our banquets in Kingsburg at the Kingsburg Gun Club. our non-profit Organization is called MAD Outdoors. (Make A Difference) we take wounded vets, active military members, & kids with disabilities. For an example we had a hunting license class held for 5 hours had over 15 kids show up, both disabled and non-disabled. took the safety hunting class received their hunting license then went out to shoot trap and learn first hand. next weekend one of our members took these 15 individuals and their family members to the Madera field archers and shot bows all day long. Then to sum it up out took a selected few to a squirrel hunt that was donated to us and the kids & parents had a blast! we are small, but growing rapidly as a non-profit team.
Run&Gun
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 am

http://www.calwaterfowl.org/camps-clinics

CWA does camps like this year round. There are a number during duck season itself and culminates in a duck hunt for the attendees.

If you want to get involved I suggest contacting George Oberstadt. His contact information is on the volunteer page of the CWA website.

If you want to sign your kids up, the info is on the camps/clinics page.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:50 am

LeakyW8ers wrote:http://www.calwaterfowl.org/camps-clinics

CWA does camps like this year round. There are a number during duck season itself and culminates in a duck hunt for the attendees.

If you want to get involved I suggest contacting George Oberstadt. His contact information is on the volunteer page of the CWA website.

If you want to sign your kids up, the info is on the camps/clinics page.

great programs
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info, Those sound like some great programs. I wish my kids had the hunting bug but unfortunately they did not. I took them several times and have some great memories. But, it just wasn't a interest they shared.
Run&Gun, if you ever need some adult help or volunteers please pm me and I will try to help.
quigby979
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting