Salmon brine

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Salmon brine

Postby FireTeal » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:10 pm

Anyone have a good smoked salmon brine recipe? I'm in the mood to try something new. I'll be using a little chief. Let's hear some good recipes....
FireTeal
hunter

Re: Salmon brine

Postby steelheadmike » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 pm

Dry brine.
steelheadmike
hunter

Postby fishenmitch » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 pm

2 qts water 2cups lite brown sugar, 1 cup non iodized salt, stir real good and in a glass or plastic container ( no metal) soak over night. In the morning rinse fish off with clean water pat dry. Let the fish air dry for a couple of hours then brush on maple syrup and be generous with some course ground pepper (only use coarse ground). Smoke until done, I use about 4 pans of alder chips and length of time depends on the thickness and the lower racks tend to finish faster. The syrup does not make it to sweet.
fishenmitch
hunter

Postby JacksDad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Little Chief smokers usually get too hot and almost cook the salmon. Try raising the lid a little with clothes pins or something to let most of the heat escape out the top, but still allowing the smoke to pass by the fillets. You'll get a fully preserved, but much moister, locks-like salmon — the cold-smoke way the native americans did it.
JacksDad
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391509533.515158.jpg

Try this it's been great for me in my big chef smoker, I add bay leaves and based the salmon every hour with maple syrup. I normally smoke for 3 to 5 hours depending on the temperature outside. IE summer or winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting