JR reports

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

JR reports

Postby calikid » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Any stories??pictures??how'd they do out there today?
calikid
hunter

Re: JR reports

Postby sutterduckhunter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Took my boy, his first season. Went to Yolo and saw tons of birds. He ended up with one, sailed two. 1000's of teal but he was having a tough time connecting. He was happy to be out there so that makes it worthwhile!
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Four juniors at Dota. These boys were shooters! 8 bull sprig, 5 green wing, 2 cinn.,11 widgeon and 5 specks. :hammer:
FowlChase
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Hunted Yolo today, absolutely incredible, thousands of birds flooded the hunt area 1/2 hour before LST, they were lighting and cartwheeling everywhere all over the blind in the decoys like we weren't even there! Truly amazing and beautiful, my son a 5th year shooter had one of his best days ever with a 15 minute limit, 2 bull sprig, 1 drake Gaddy, 1 drake gwt,1 drake cinny,1 drake spoon and 1 one drake bluie. Certainly a life time memory for my son and I, a 4th generation waterfowler it was his day, set the dekes, pushed the cart, camoed the mound and identified each bird before the shot, I could not have been more pleased with his progression into a respectable knowledgeable honest hunter.
after the hunt we spent half an hour picking up shells and trash on the mound out of the blinds and on the trail back to the truck, filled two plastic grocery bags, at the parking lot my son says, dad......thank you for doin Wut you do and bring in me out like this, best day in the field since the very last time I hunted with my ol man before he passed, that day we bagged 9 birds and I remember every second of it I was 19 and just like my son told me I told my dad thank you for passing your knowledge patience and respect of the outdoors on to me and being my hero, little did I know that later that year would the last time I got to hunt with him.proud to be an outdoorsman, thankful for the privilege, take nothing for granted and pass it on!
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Nice post duxnbass sounds like your doing it right :thumbsup: Tell your son congrats
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Took my friend's little cousin out to the Lodge on a ressi in the 80's and it was like sitting in the closed zone 10 minutes before LST. I've never been in a pond with that many birds on it. He had two mallards and two wigeon within the first 20 minutes, it slowed down a bit and he missed a few opportunities but after another 30-45 minutes or so he shot a sweet double on the wigeon. We decided to hold off on everything but sprig or mallards for his last bird, but the sprig really wanted the pond next to us and the mallards were paired up and call shy. Finally at about nine he decided to finish it on a wigeon. His first limit and his last Jr. hunt, and man did he make me proud :thumbsup: I let him choose the spot, gave him freedom with decoy placement and had him help me call, and let me tell you, he passed all my tests! Awesome day. Didn't hurt that everyone around us was making good ethical shots and gave us a good wide berth. It was the way a duck hunt was supposed to be (although he did try a few high birds early in all the excitement, but we corrected that behavior pretty quick). Absolutely my best memory of this season!
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby blugoose » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Xlnt day. My grandson took 5 wig and 2 pins in an hour. Only limit out of the blind. Plus 2 bonus snow geese. Fantastic way to end the season. Bring on the rain!
blugoose
hunter

Postby calikid » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Awesome you guys!keep them coming
calikid
hunter

Postby ycduckhunter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Walked on at sutter around 9 am with my little cousin. He just got his license this year and had been out once with me before but couldnt connect. We got set up in a spot where i saw about 10 mallards jump out of when we got close. Wasnt hot and rapid by any means but boy did those mallards come back wanting into that pond. Most ive seen during a single hunt. He couldnt connect on any of the mallards at 20 yards but he shot a gadwall as his first bird and also shot his first goose (nice fat speck). He ran out of his 25 shells around 3:45 and we called it a day with the 2 birds. He had a great time and cant stop talking about it...
ycduckhunter
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am

Went out with the blind partner kid and my buddies little sister. Limits for both yesterday with a speck and 14 widgion today. The 2 of the jrs shot more ducks in 2 days then we did all season in the rice. :fingerhead:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby calikid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Awesome Sgt!

More stories people!
calikid
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:Went out with the blind partner kid and my buddies little sister. Limits for both yesterday with a speck and 14 widgion today. The 2 of the jrs shot more ducks in 2 days then we did all season in the rice. :fingerhead:

Good to hear the Jr's got some good shooting opportunities, that sucks about your lack of birds this year in the rice. What a difference a couple weeks makes huh?
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby silverbands707 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:44 pm

took my little brother to delevan on sat and refilled blind 4 for the afternoon hunt. the kid was a rockstar he shot 7 ducks and 10 geese...
"pround commity member of the petaluma ducks unlimited chapter!"
silverbands707
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:50 pm

silverbands707 wrote:took my little brother to delevan on sat and refilled blind 4 for the afternoon hunt. the kid was a rockstar he shot 7 ducks and 10 geese...

I've hunted that blind. It's a great spot
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby blugoose » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Back out this morning with grandson. 5 more wig and 2 pins. I'm amazed at the birds hanging in the rice. Might be something to that 3 day shoot for everyone. Would be tough to take on those days the birds are flying. Always next year. Great way to end the season though and so nice to see the rain.
blugoose
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:23 pm

ericwjennings wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:Went out with the blind partner kid and my buddies little sister. Limits for both yesterday with a speck and 14 widgion today. The 2 of the jrs shot more ducks in 2 days then we did all season in the rice. :fingerhead:

Good to hear the Jr's got some good shooting opportunities, that sucks about your lack of birds this year in the rice. What a difference a couple weeks makes huh?

Yep. They are stacked up out there now. I could drive out and take 1 shot and shoot a limit out of every goose spread out there. Picked up the last of my duck stuff yesterday. They were laughing all day at me.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby calikid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Any kids get into some goose action??
calikid
hunter

Postby meatslayer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:11 am

Mdota. 2 kids, 1 spoonie, 1widgeon, 2 bull sprig, 9 mallards, 3 specks... 11 year old tripled on the specks with his 20 gauge. His brothers gun misfired! Lol. Other then the first duck of the morning everything was shot 15-25 yrds cupped over the decoys. Best day of waterfowl hunting I've had. Alway fun to get out, but yesterday was just one of them days!
meatslayer
hunter

Postby Hntn Dux » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 am

Great reports guys! My son ended up with 4 gads, 2 sprig, 1 green head, 3 specks and 2 snows on Saturday. His shooting really went downhill in the afternoon for geese and could of easily limited on snows. He was so frustrated with himself, couldn't figure out what he was doing wrong. Well, on Sunday he figured it out and got his limit of 2 sprig, 2 mallards, 1 gad, 1 spoon and 1 ringneck with only 10 shots! I gotta say I think I like going on these jr hunts better than myself hunting.
Matt opener 2014.jpg
Saturday
Attachments
Matt Del 2014.jpg
Sunday
Hntn Dux
hunter

Postby retired » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Took Grandson and His Friend Saturday to are club. Best shoot all year. They ended with 4 sprig 4 greenheads 1 drake spoony. Went back Sunday and only kill 2 sprig for two juniors. We had thousand of ducks in are club both days. Best I have seen in years. Good way to end a poor season. Also the grandson shot a banded greenhead. Retired
retired
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Went to Sac Saturday morning tons of birds but my daughters shooting was off , had to keep calm when she missed two specs at about 15 yards away. We went to delevan in afternoon where she got a Snow and a Spec which really made her whole weekend first geese for her. Went back to Delevan on sunday it was like a ghost town , maybe a quarter of the reservations showed up. not as many birds flying my daughter got two spoonies but I did see some other kids get quite limits or close to it.

I have to say the Junior hunts are my favorite weekend of the year. All the kids are excited and everyone is friendly. I never hunted Delevan before and lot of people helped me on where to go. Its fun to watch all the kids talk with each other about their experience at the end of the day. My daughter has 3 more Junior hunts in her. After that i will be looking for other jrs to take.

The best thing about it this weekend is the quality time we spent together we made a pact that neither of us were going to look at our phones while out in the field. We had some great conversations, one of the funniest and interesting ones was when my daughter said that when she gets married the wedding ring will be a duck band.
Noobhunter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting