Snow Goose Calls

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Snow Goose Calls

Postby FowlChase » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 pm

I've always used a Sean Mann Whiteout Express with great results and have been looking into the Red Bone snow calls. Anyone out there ever used one? Pro's or con's. What is your favorite or most productive snow call?
FowlChase
hunter

Re: Snow Goose Calls

Postby JonD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Stick with the sean mann. I have a redbone buzzard that was given to me and it's really nothing special except that it doubles as a honker call. Snow geese don't respond well enough to a call to justify spending $200 on one anyway. Just use the call you have and use the money you were going to spend on that redbone for some more decoys.
JonD
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:33 pm

JonD wrote:Stick with the sean mann. I have a redbone buzzard that was given to me and it's really nothing special except that it doubles as a honker call. Snow geese don't respond well enough to a call to justify spending $200 on one anyway. Just use the call you have and use the money you were going to spend on that redbone for some more decoys.

I will always use the Mann call. I'm just looking to add different sounds to the spread. Thanks for the tip on the Red Bone. Your not the first to tell me that same thing.
FowlChase
hunter

Postby JonD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:07 pm

Well if you are set on getting another snow goose call I really like the basin white devil
JonD
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Is the white devil better than the snowman?

Because I bought the snowman sight unseen and not only can I drive away geese, it works great as a car alarm, rape whistle and all around attention getter in movie theaters.

I keep thinking that I should tape a can of compressed air to it. Then I won't actually have to touch it.

Seriously, I've had that call for years and have never managed to call in a single snow with it.. Maybe I can tape it to a golf club and beat a rat to death with it. At least I could say I bagged something.

Basin does make great calls... But the Snowman is not my favorite.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Quacksalot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:20 pm

If you can find one Herters Numara goose call .Most productive snow call I have ever used
Quacksalot
hunter

Postby JonD » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:19 pm

slowshooter wrote:Is the white devil better than the snowman?

Because I bought the snowman sight unseen and not only can I drive away geese, it works great as a car alarm, rape whistle and all around attention getter in movie theaters.

I keep thinking that I should tape a can of compressed air to it. Then I won't actually have to touch it.

Seriously, I've had that call for years and have never managed to call in a single snow with it.. Maybe I can tape it to a golf club and beat a rat to death with it. At least I could say I bagged something.

Basin does make great calls... But the Snowman is not my favorite.

I personally never used the snowman call so can't really comment on it but I have used the white devil for several seasons and in my opinion it is a good call. I find it really hard to judge a snow goose call because snow geese behave so much differently than specks or honkers. Really the only time I use a call is if the geese are already in range and need a little coaxing to fly over the blind or to bring in "lost" snows in thick fog. When I do use a call I rarely use barks I usually just use "ground talk". Most days I find it better just to shut up stay hidden and let the decoys do the work. Hopefully one day California decides to let us use electronic callers for snow geese cause that's really the only effective way of calling them in.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
JonD
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Wait...people CALL snows?...on purpose? :biggrin:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby Quacksalot » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 am

ditchbanker wrote:Wait...people CALL snows?...on purpose? :biggrin:

Yes sir people do! I do,I shoot them on purpose,cook and eat them on purpose as well!
Quacksalot
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:41 am

What did he say ? Was it long distance ? :huh:
3200 man
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Quacksalot wrote:
ditchbanker wrote:Wait...people CALL snows?...on purpose? :biggrin:

Yes sir people do! I do,I shoot them on purpose,cook and eat them on purpose as well!

Me too. Brined and wrapped (bacon, banana leaves, whatevs) and tossed onto a grill they taste better than most ducks. Also, if you like a stir fry you can do them up with a citrus sauce that will make your significant others clothes fall off faster than tequila.

Cooking. You eat every day so if you can't cook at least 5 things well - then you have wasted your life. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Quacksalot wrote:If you can find one Herters Numara goose call .Most productive snow call I have ever used

Great call.....but they are by far the hardest call ever made to keep in tune.
Also the hardest call to get to sound like a goose...........you won't be able to tune this call without lots of practice. :no:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Duckrig » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 pm

White Devil has worked for me with good success
Duckrig
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:12 pm

callinfowl wrote:
Quacksalot wrote:If you can find one Herters Numara goose call .Most productive snow call I have ever used

Great call.....but they are by far the hardest call ever made to keep in tune.
Also the hardest call to get to sound like a goose...........you won't be able to tune this call without lots of practice. :no:

I hear there's a guide in the sac valley that makes his own reeds/guts for the Numara calls and there supposed to be the ticket. Anyone know who he is?
FowlChase
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting