New to hunting and this site!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

New to hunting and this site!

Postby Passion for Ducks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi everyone! I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jack and I'm 16(turning 17 in 3 days!), and I'm from northern California! Hunting and fishing are my passion, I have been fishing since I was 5 and I am relatively new to hunting. The 2013/2014 waterfowl season was my first! I shot my first goose but no ducks :sad:. And after that season I realized that duck and goose hunting is my true passion! I would just like to say that I didn't join this forum to cyber scout or steal anyone's hunting spot I just want to talk to everyone about hunting.

I was also wondering if there is anyone in Northern California that duck hunts? I'm looking for a hunting buddy and would love to have someone show me the ropes! I am serious about hunting and will go every weekend if I can. the only problem is that I don't have a spot to hunt for next season. I was just thinking about doing some guided duck hunts and maybe find some public land to hunt on since I don't feel I have the experience or money to join a club or lease a blind yet. And was trying to find someone to tag along. But if there is someone out there that is willing to sort of show me the ropes and do some serious hunting next season I would be more than willing to pay for whatever you have to offer.

Any information or techniques you have to offer are greatly appreciated. I am eager to learn.

Feel free to pm me if you feel more comfortable doing that instead of replying.

Happy Hunting :smile:
Passion for Ducks
hunter

Re: New to hunting and this site!

Postby bugman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi Jack -

There is a DF&G advanced hunter ed class on waterfowl hunting August 16 in Solano Co. To sign up, go to the DF&G website, select hunting activities, then look for the hunter education classes topic. Click on it and go to the advanced classes. It is a 1-day class, all day on a Saturday. Last year it cost $65 so it should be nearly the same this year. You will get to learn about lots of things about duck and goose hunting. I've duck hunted 50+ years and still learned some things.
bugman
hunter

Postby Passion for Ducks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:59 pm

bugman wrote:Hi Jack -

There is a DF&G advanced hunter ed class on waterfowl hunting August 16 in Solano Co. To sign up, go to the DF&G website, select hunting activities, then look for the hunter education classes topic. Click on it and go to the advanced classes. It is a 1-day class, all day on a Saturday. Last year it cost $65 so it should be nearly the same this year. You will get to learn about lots of things about duck and goose hunting. I've duck hunted 50+ years and still learned some things.

Thank you for telling me about this! I will definitely check it out.
Passion for Ducks
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 pm

:welcome:
Sorry not much help but maybe look into how the refuge systems work and try that next year. I have never done it but i know it take's a lot to learn what spots work. Good luck :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby awc16 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Where in northern California are you located?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
awc16
hunter

Postby Passion for Ducks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:15 pm

awc16 wrote:Where in northern California are you located?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Danville
Passion for Ducks
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 am

Put in for reservations in the NVRs or Los banos. If you can drive yourself, start saving for a season pass and hunt 4 different fuges or different parking lots utilzing your season pass. Saturday AM here, saturday PM there, repeat on sunday. Good luck! Start saving your money for the fall, you'll need it living in Danville just for gas. :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Passion for Ducks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:10 am

AJCsurf wrote:Put in for reservations in the NVRs or Los banos. If you can drive yourself, start saving for a season pass and hunt 4 different fuges or different parking lots utilzing your season pass. Saturday AM here, saturday PM there, repeat on sunday. Good luck! Start saving your money for the fall, you'll need it living in Danville just for gas. :thumbsup:

I sure will! Thanks for the info I'll look into it.
Passion for Ducks
hunter

Postby mylabisbetterthanme » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:50 am

Very funny, I grew up in Danville. Went to Monte Vista, my wife went to San Ramon.

I agree with AJC's comments regarding hunting various refuges. That is what I have been up to for the past 5 or 6 years and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. I have also learned lots. Many folks don't like the public refuge system, but for me it works great. I don't live near you now, or else I would offer to show you a few things. Best of luck for the coming season, but if you really want to be able to hunt it, pray for rain!
mylabisbetterthanme
hunter

Postby dukgtr187 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Gotta hook up for you. My lil brother hunts all public and did pretty good this year. Pm if you want his info.
dukgtr187
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Welcome aboard. It's a lot of fun to get out to the refuges. Hope you get into the geese and ducks next season!
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting