Rimfire ammo recall

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Rimfire ammo recall

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:32 pm

All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA


Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:50 am

I still have rim fire from the early 80's. I think I paid around $8 a brick for the hollowpoints. Wonder how many ammo hoarders are affected.
User avatar
friedcoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Behind a laptop

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:20 am

I wonder if the guys will give it up or if they'll just repackage to sell. Hoarders suck.
Can't wait until at some point the hoarders get stuck with a bunch of crap they can't sell without losing money. Because Justice.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:36 am

slowshooter wrote: Hoarders suck.


A few months back I walked into a shop called "The Tackle Box" in Salinas and the guy had a 50 round box of basic .22 under the glass top counter with a $9.00 price tag on it. Maybe it was a joke but I saw nothing funny about price gouging.
User avatar
friedcoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Behind a laptop

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

As hard as that is to come by, do they really think anyone will send it back?
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:50 am

friedcoot wrote:
slowshooter wrote: Hoarders suck.


A few months back I walked into a shop called "The Tackle Box" in Salinas and the guy had a 50 round box of basic .22 under the glass top counter with a $9.00 price tag on it. Maybe it was a joke but I saw nothing funny about price gouging.


I have seen reloads at the range for 10 per 50. It's almost cheaper to shoot .223 instead.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
User avatar
Sgtstadanko707
hunter
 
Posts: 1671
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 pm
Location: Chico ca

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:
slowshooter wrote: Hoarders suck.


A few months back I walked into a shop called "The Tackle Box" in Salinas and the guy had a 50 round box of basic .22 under the glass top counter with a $9.00 price tag on it. Maybe it was a joke but I saw nothing funny about price gouging.


I have seen reloads at the range for 10 per 50. It's almost cheaper to shoot .223 instead.


How the hell and why the hell would someone want to reload .22 ammo? Maybe you thought I missed a 2?
User avatar
friedcoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Behind a laptop

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby LeakyW8ers » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

friedcoot wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:
slowshooter wrote: Hoarders suck.


A few months back I walked into a shop called "The Tackle Box" in Salinas and the guy had a 50 round box of basic .22 under the glass top counter with a $9.00 price tag on it. Maybe it was a joke but I saw nothing funny about price gouging.


I have seen reloads at the range for 10 per 50. It's almost cheaper to shoot .223 instead.


How the hell and why the hell would someone want to reload .22 ammo? Maybe you thought I missed a 2?


I've heard it's possible using pulverized match heads for primers. A quick google search found a few topics on other forums, and folks claiming that multiple strikes on the rim was proof of reloading. Although dud shells could have multiple strikes on the rim as well.

Not sure I'd trust a reload that I didn't do myself, and don't think I'd ever try to reload a .22. But it is possible, in theory.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
User avatar
LeakyW8ers
hunter
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

LeakyW8ers wrote:
friedcoot wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:
slowshooter wrote: Hoarders suck.


A few months back I walked into a shop called "The Tackle Box" in Salinas and the guy had a 50 round box of basic .22 under the glass top counter with a $9.00 price tag on it. Maybe it was a joke but I saw nothing funny about price gouging.


I have seen reloads at the range for 10 per 50. It's almost cheaper to shoot .223 instead.


How the hell and why the hell would someone want to reload .22 ammo? Maybe you thought I missed a 2?


I've heard it's possible using pulverized match heads for primers. A quick google search found a few topics on other forums, and folks claiming that multiple strikes on the rim was proof of reloading. Although dud shells could have multiple strikes on the rim as well.

Not sure I'd trust a reload that I didn't do myself, and don't think I'd ever try to reload a .22. But it is possible, in theory.


It kinda made me scratch my head when I saw it.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
User avatar
Sgtstadanko707
hunter
 
Posts: 1671
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 pm
Location: Chico ca

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Dang, it's tough to shoot it all knowing I paid less than ten bucks for a promo pack. Sticker shock is going to kill me when I finally buy more.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm pretty much set. I purchased a lot of it when I was in my teens. Loved dispatching ground squirrels on some local cattle ranches. Now, they are all in berries and any squirrels that did survive the habitat change were killed with poison. In a couple years, we won't be able to use lead based ammo other than at a range anyway. I can get the same feeling shooting an air soft in back yard plinking empty starbucks cups (without the range fee).
User avatar
friedcoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Behind a laptop


Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: David O and 23 guests