Rimfire ammo recall

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Rimfire ammo recall

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:32 pm

All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Rimfire ammo recall

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:50 am

I still have rim fire from the early 80's. I think I paid around $8 a brick for the hollowpoints. Wonder how many ammo hoarders are affected.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:20 am

I wonder if the guys will give it up or if they'll just repackage to sell. Hoarders suck.
Can't wait until at some point the hoarders get stuck with a bunch of crap they can't sell without losing money. Because Justice.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:36 am

slowshooter wrote: Hoarders suck.

A few months back I walked into a shop called "The Tackle Box" in Salinas and the guy had a 50 round box of basic .22 under the glass top counter with a $9.00 price tag on it. Maybe it was a joke but I saw nothing funny about price gouging.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

As hard as that is to come by, do they really think anyone will send it back?
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:50 am

friedcoot wrote:

A few months back I walked into a shop called "The Tackle Box" in Salinas and the guy had a 50 round box of basic .22 under the glass top counter with a $9.00 price tag on it. Maybe it was a joke but I saw nothing funny about price gouging.

I have seen reloads at the range for 10 per 50. It's almost cheaper to shoot .223 instead.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:

I have seen reloads at the range for 10 per 50. It's almost cheaper to shoot .223 instead.

How the hell and why the hell would someone want to reload .22 ammo? Maybe you thought I missed a 2?
friedcoot
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

friedcoot wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:

How the hell and why the hell would someone want to reload .22 ammo? Maybe you thought I missed a 2?

I've heard it's possible using pulverized match heads for primers. A quick google search found a few topics on other forums, and folks claiming that multiple strikes on the rim was proof of reloading. Although dud shells could have multiple strikes on the rim as well.

Not sure I'd trust a reload that I didn't do myself, and don't think I'd ever try to reload a .22. But it is possible, in theory.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

LeakyW8ers wrote:
friedcoot wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:

I've heard it's possible using pulverized match heads for primers. A quick google search found a few topics on other forums, and folks claiming that multiple strikes on the rim was proof of reloading. Although dud shells could have multiple strikes on the rim as well.

Not sure I'd trust a reload that I didn't do myself, and don't think I'd ever try to reload a .22. But it is possible, in theory.

It kinda made me scratch my head when I saw it.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Dang, it's tough to shoot it all knowing I paid less than ten bucks for a promo pack. Sticker shock is going to kill me when I finally buy more.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm pretty much set. I purchased a lot of it when I was in my teens. Loved dispatching ground squirrels on some local cattle ranches. Now, they are all in berries and any squirrels that did survive the habitat change were killed with poison. In a couple years, we won't be able to use lead based ammo other than at a range anyway. I can get the same feeling shooting an air soft in back yard plinking empty starbucks cups (without the range fee).
friedcoot
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting