Coming soon. Dicks in Fremont.

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: Coming soon. Dicks in Fremont.

Postby friedcoot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:56 pm

slowshooter wrote:
QuackerSmacker498 wrote:Morgan Hill or south San Jose????? Commercial land values are less and its only a few more minutes south. Make it a stand alone attraction and the others will follow. Just my own two cents!!!

Too far from Los Altos and Palo Alto. Their bike and yoga pants sales would fall. :lol3:

What do you mean slow?, we order all we need on line and have it delivered overnight. If were desperate, we send someone down to go get it for us.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 pm

What was the name of that big sporting goods store that was in Fremont for years that actually had some decent stuff in the 80's and 90's? It also sold outdoor furniture. Reminded me of a Bass Pro without all the live fish, food, and crap you really don't need like a talking bear toilet paper dispenser.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:12 pm

friedcoot wrote:What was the name of that big sporting goods store that was in Fremont for years that actually had some decent stuff in the 80's and 90's? It also sold outdoor furniture. Reminded me of a Bass Pro without all the live fish, food, and crap you really don't need like a talking bear toilet paper dispenser.

Big 5

JUST KIDDING.....I have no clue :wink:
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 pm

DuckFan wrote:
friedcoot wrote:What was the name of that big sporting goods store that was in Fremont for years that actually had some decent stuff in the 80's and 90's? It also sold outdoor furniture. Reminded me of a Bass Pro without all the live fish, food, and crap you really don't need like a talking bear toilet paper dispenser.

Big 5

JUST KIDDING.....I have no clue :wink:

Sometimes if they have a decent manager and knowledgable guy who orders, they have some good stuff. That is rare though. I think they know that if your in dire need, you'll buy the crap even though it's not exactly what you wanted.

No, it was a pretty cool store. It was off 680 and looked like a giant warehouse or former grocery store with a huge parking lot.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:55 pm

Tri valley sports? They were the best place for camping gear.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Tri- City sporting goods.......they were primarily a "Close Out" store. This means a significant percentage of their inventory is out of date products that were typically over produced and they purchase at significantly lower price because the item is out dated or a generic copy of a brand name product. "Close out Buys" are large quantities of last years products which are then sold about fifteen percent below previous years market value. Its the same concept Big 5 has been running for years, hence most of the items on BIG 5's shelves is crap.

Just a little marketing knowledge of sporting good retailers for those of you that may have been wondering.

Cabelas and Bass Pro are on the other end of the spectrum and would prefer to sell more of the new products. But again many of their bread and butter items, clothing, low end shoes,and generally speaking most low end products are mostly "Close out Buys."
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 am

That was the place. It was like going into a thrift store. If you found something good then you had to buy it right then. Because you would never see it again. We got some pretty good tents there and an outstanding back pack.

It was the Grocery Outlet of sporting good stores.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:16 am

Yes that was it Tri-city. Well it may of been close outs but I purchased some great firearms, ammo, reloading equipment and
fishing tackle there. I thought they were pretty well stocked in the hunting and fishing department.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:35 am

friedcoot wrote:Yes that was it Tri-city. Well it may of been close outs but I purchased some great firearms, ammo, reloading equipment and
fishing tackle there. I thought they were pretty well stocked in the hunting and fishing department.

For some reason I remember the most beautiful willowy blonde working there. Maybe confusing her with a gal from Any Mountain... Either way I remember her decades later. Stunning.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 pm

slowshooter wrote:Dicks will be inserting themselves into a retail space in Fremont. Considering what's happened with Bass Pro in a couple of places I just hope that Dicks doesn't pull out early. It would be a shame to see them make a mess of a good thing.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Dicks. Mainly because they really need to work on their gun selection. The last time I went to Dicks it was clear that their gun buyers really preferred pumping. Not many over and unders either. I would think that having a little over and under action might be cool - since dropping a couple of loads into both chambers always sounds fun. Of course, there are always going to those that prefer rimfire, but hey, that's what makes America great. The ability to shoot the way you want.

See you guys at the grand opening.

:grooving: :grooving:

Ah hell...this is awesome!
Willie
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting