New guy!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

New guy!

Postby VAgooser » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:00 am

Hey guys!
I'm moving out to monterey and I was hoping to find some one in the area who can give me the down on the hunting in the area? I'm active duty military so I'm not sure if any of the bases in the area have any blinds or anything like that. Pretty much just looking for any info I can get! I've only ever hunted the Atlantic flyway so I think the pacific flyway is probably a different ball game! What kinda hunting is common? Marshes or river or what? I'm used to hunting Canada's mallards and ringnecks so I'm sure that'll be different too.
Any details you have!
VAgooser
hunter

Re: New guy!

Postby LeakyW8ers » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:22 am

Thank you for your service, first and foremost.

Second, I know that AJCSurf lives in that area and might be able to help you identify anything local for public hunting. Not sure any of the bases in that area have any duck hunting on them to be honest.

Your first stop should be the Department of Fish and Game... ...oops Wildlife website. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ They publish the Regs and hunting on Public Lands information on their website every year. You can look at what's there for the 2013 and 2014 season for that detail, but I imagine we might be seeing some wholesale changes based on our drought situation here in CA. But that's a starting point.

You will not be too far from the grasslands which is the area around Los Banos, CA. There are a number of public access (Type A) areas both California Wildlife Areas and National Wildlife Refuges in the grasslands. The regs/public land book will have info one all of those in the state. These areas are a mix of blinds and free roam area. Depends on the refuge. You need a one-day, 2-day, or season pass to access them, and these are not sold at the refuges. You can apply for reservations for each of these areas that guarantee access for the day, plus there are lotteries for each, as well as first-come-first served access. Reservations enter first, then lottery if there is still available space, then first-come-first served (sweatline) if there is still space available. Each area has quotas as to how many hunters are allowed on the area at one time, and they refill until 3:00 PM each hunt day. Hunt days are Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

As I said, details can be obtained from the dfg website, that's just a quick summary for you.

As far as birds to expect, I'd expect to see lots of Northern Shovelors for the most part. They are our most plentiful duck, but you can get almost every species here in CA, even Mallards, if you work hard, and find them where they hide. Good luck!
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Welcome!

Hey I know what the first three letters of your handle stand for... But what's an "ooser"? :lol3: :lol3:

(edit: all in good fun man!)
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Forget fowl. Focus on some different game that you won't find on East Coast. Ducks are pretty much something you'll find within driving distance where ever you finally hang your hat. Monterey County is no longer habitat friendly in the Monterey/Salinas region. Not trying to burn your buzz but fish the bay or hunt the highlands in the National Forest. With military pass, you could get some decent shoots and possibly an elk tag here. Good Luck and thanks for your service!

http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/hunting.asp
friedcoot
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 am

slowshooter wrote:Welcome!

Hey I know what the first three letters of your handle stand for... But what's an "ooser"? :lol3: :lol3:

(edit: all in good fun man!)
hahaha that's great!
I have no intentions of forgetting about fowl! Although I definitely plan on taking advantage if the big game opportunities out there. Problem is, I'm gonna be living in a barracks type setting so storing large quantities of meat will be hard... Unless any of you guys take donations lol! I appreciate the info, I'll begin my research!
VAgooser
hunter

Postby dukgtr187 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:21 pm

I use to clean ducks in my barracks room on pendlleton until i found a buddy i went to mos school with and would bring all the ducks there after i hunted saturday and sunday. If you make it further south hit me up.
dukgtr187
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:03 pm

dukgtr187 wrote:I use to clean ducks in my barracks room on pendlleton until i found a buddy i went to mos school with and would bring all the ducks there after i hunted saturday and sunday. If you make it further south hit me up.

That's what I had planned on doing haha, at some point I may head south cause I got friends in the area around Pendleton, I'll pm you!

how often are the specks and snows in the area? Ive never killed either, actually Ive never even seen either where I lived in VA, id love to get a crack at some of them! any chance?
VAgooser
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Good luck to you on here man :)

Just when yo uthink you have read it all ther eis a new thread to be read and man it gets better every day :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby sutterduckhunter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:57 pm

J Hook; it must be a J Hook!

Decoy patterns at the fuge... :yes:
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Here is the closest fowling hole to your base. Not much. I heard a guy bagged a lost snow goose there in 1979 during a series of storms but it was a story and I never saw the goose. Your nearest real refuge is about a 2 hour drive East. Still think you should try game you won't find in other parts of Country and take advantage of your service access. You will like the base recreational rentals for dive gear and boats. Scroll out and you will see what I mean by lack of habitat. Cold crop farmers don't like places that harbor pests so everything is sprayed with round-up.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Salinas+ ... s,+CA&z=14
friedcoot
hunter

Postby dukgtr187 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

So far i've managed to kill few snows, a speck and a honker down south. i've Never had to try that hard for geese. it just seems to come natural. especially when i hunt the sac valley. idk about your barracks policies but we couldnt even have hot plates in our rooms. Since my first year in the marines i am married now. I do bbq some venison when i have to stand duty at the barracks on the bbqs
didnt hunt this past season due to me currently being deployed. i do have a few plans for honkers this coming season
dukgtr187
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting