Information on the Featherstone Duck Club

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Information on the Featherstone Duck Club

Postby Run&Gun » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:01 pm

Afternoon Guys & Gals

Few of us are looking at the Featherstone Duck club, couple of us already lease another club in the grasslands but want to hunt together on the same club. We have most info on the featherstone club already except looking to see if anyone has ever shot it, been a member of it, or has had a friend hunt it, just looking for first person or second person info before completely jumping in. Thank you for taking the time in reading and hope to hear back from some of you! please PM if you wish, thank you JD
Run&Gun
hunter

Re: Information on the Featherstone Duck Club

Postby duckshooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:16 am

I was a member at this club a couple years ago. Pretty decent, high-density club. Fixed blinds means that you will probably be stuck in one of the worst blinds the first year as the "new guy". The members get after it almost every night before the shoot. I don't think half the guys actually wake up for the hunt the next morning. I enjoyed the scene as a young single guy but I wouldn't have felt comfortable bringing a young child out to the campground the night before (some guys do though, so to each his own). You'll shoot mostly spoons and teal with an occasional pintail, mallard, widgeon or can. We also got into the snows pretty good once or twice on late afternoon hunts late in the season. The access in and out was easy with easy walks out to the blinds. I don't know what it costs these days but at the time it was a mid-range to low price club with mid-range results.
duckshooter
hunter

Postby Run&Gun » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:53 am

duckshooter,

Thank you very much for your response and appreciate the info given. thank you for the heads up about the night before activities, there are three of us and the fourth being a 12 year old girl looking to lease this club. everything you mentioned was spot on from what we've heard from pulling intel. were happy with the club were at now, but this now allows us to hunt together when time permits for all four. enjoy your off season duckshooter and goodluck on the 14/15 season! JD
Run&Gun
hunter

Postby Calikev » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:27 pm

I had a friend that was a member there one year. They only shot a handful of birds there all year as they got a really lousy blind.

The complaints were they didn't rotate the blinds, there are blinds too close together, the habitat is weak for the most part and some of the guys on the club are skybusters. Part of that might come from there only being a few good blinds and everyone else is stuck with the shots they get.

He said it could be a good club (location) if it had a fraction of the members, they got rid of the known skybusters, and they rotated their blinds (had a drawing each night before the hunt).

I wouldn't join it unless you are in it for the long haul. It might take many years to move up to a good blind.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:20 pm

My uncle has been a member there for years. I've been an on again-off again member as funds allow. We kill quite a few birds. The front pond we hunt is big water so we very rarely shoot any greenheads but we do pretty well on most other species. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about a specific blind.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby dkhuntr25 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:56 pm

There is definitely a blind that sky scrapes the crap out of the front pond they r in the middle close to a road I have hunted it when it's hot and when it's not but overall it's a decent club
dkhuntr25
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting