New products in the world of processed food?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

New products in the world of processed food?

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 am

It's 2014 boys and girls, in the old days we'd get Quisp and Quake or funyuns to keep us going in the field. Certainly food scientists have made things better...

What's you're favorite blind snack?

I need to know so I can hoard it just like the dufi that hoard reloading components. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: New products in the world of processed food?

Postby fish dog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 am

I usually take out a large bag of teriyaki beef jerky, a few pouches of fruit snacks and a couple water bottles. Don't have to haul a small ice chest out there with me with this kind of stuff. I'll eat "real food" on the way home.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby Jcleland » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 am

Jerky and trail mix
Jcleland
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Jerky, trail mix, and good ole' blueberry muffins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:42 pm

I have a food dehydrator and need to find a decent jerky recipe that isn't slathered in 14 different kinds of sugar. Anyone got one?
slowshooter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Depends who was invited to go out in my boat blind, but we have had prosciutto and swiss wraps, hot wax peppers, meat ball sandwiches, salami wraps, duck wraps, smoked oysters in the can, Togo's sandwiches.......sorry, no granola eaters on my boat.

Most important item, Copenhagen, Skoal, and or Grizzly.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Food scientists have indeed made things better, not by what we eat, but how it is packaged. For a century the standard has been the tin can. Actually made of steel, the vessel costs more than the food inside. Wether it was canned salmon, sardines, peaches, tomatoes, or you name it, the can was more expensive than the goods. The energy to prepare these goods was also an added expense to the consumers of these goods.

Recently the innovations that have made Mylar type pouches that are micro-waveable for rice and other products have made slow food fast, about 90 seconds to prepare. The plastic containers for tomato products are lowering the cost of the product by lowering the cost of the container. The large food giants are much maligned, but their efforts at preserving our food, making it easier to prepare, and keeping it affordable, are responsible for some of our greatest accomplishments as a society.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Butta boom wrote:Recently the innovations that have made Mylar type pouches that are micro-waveable for rice and other products have made slow food fast, about 90 seconds to prepare.

Even my best blind did not have a microwave. I think a generator would flare the birds too. Although, on slow days it would of kept me up.

I'm still a chocolate bar, coffee and dried beef guy.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:39 pm

Beef jerky and trail mix.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:00 pm

I sorta like beef jerky but it always tastes candied. I want an unsweetened, spicy hot burn a hole in my gut beef jerky.

And it has to be cheap. :hammer:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Slow,

You could always try making your own... Get your hands on a chunk of really lean beef like london broil (or a chunk of deer or elk if you have any) slice it up, either as thin as you can with the grain, or ~1/8" thick across the grain -- in my experience, going with the grain makes for a 'chewier' jerky, going cross grain makes for easier eating, but it can fall apart if it's too dried out. Try making a half a dozen different concotions with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, red wine, fresh garlic... use your imagination.

Put your concoctions in gallon ziplock baggies and write the recipie on the bag. Put a half pound of thinly sliced meat in each flavor, marinate overnight in the fridge and run them through the dehydrator. If you don't have a dehydrator, you could do what my friend down in Sacramento does - he strings it up on fishline and criss crosses the garage with it. Whenever he gets a deer his entire garage becomes a cobweb of drying venison. BTW, my friend only uses table salt & lots of cracked black pepper, but that's because that's how his dad did it for years.

When your jerky is dried, start sampling. When you find one you like, you're set. The varieties you don't like can always be chopped up and used in a stew, you should be able to season out whatever you didn't like along with the carrots, celery, onions and potatoes.
High Sierras
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:07 am

High Sierras wrote:Slow,

You could always try making your own... Get your hands on a chunk of really lean beef like london broil (or a chunk of deer or elk if you have any) slice it up, either as thin as you can with the grain, or ~1/8" thick across the grain -- in my experience, going with the grain makes for a 'chewier' jerky, going cross grain makes for easier eating, but it can fall apart if it's too dried out. Try making a half a dozen different concotions with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, red wine, fresh garlic... use your imagination.

Put your concoctions in gallon ziplock baggies and write the recipie on the bag. Put a half pound of thinly sliced meat in each flavor, marinate overnight in the fridge and run them through the dehydrator. If you don't have a dehydrator, you could do what my friend down in Sacramento does - he strings it up on fishline and criss crosses the garage with it. Whenever he gets a deer his entire garage becomes a cobweb of drying venison. BTW, my friend only uses table salt & lots of cracked black pepper, but that's because that's how his dad did it for years.

When your jerky is dried, start sampling. When you find one you like, you're set. The varieties you don't like can always be chopped up and used in a stew, you should be able to season out whatever you didn't like along with the carrots, celery, onions and potatoes.

This I will do! I have a pretty big dehydrator that my wife asked for and used a few times. She hopefully will let me use it. Would be great to put together a bunch and see what works best. Thanks for the advice!
slowshooter
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18 pm

One word of caution... if you dehydrate your jerky samples in the kitchen, you're house will be surrounded by every stray dog in the neighborhood. And your clothes will smell faintly of Jerky for days. The aroma is wonderful!
High Sierras
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:47 pm

I like the dehydrator that Alton Brown used on Good Eats. Furnace Filters and a box fan. Put it a window blowing outside.

If you make spicy enough jerky it might act like mace if there's enough capsicum in the pepper you use. Keep the solicitors from your front step. :thumbsup:
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 pm

The Asian markets (Ranch 99) have great beef prices and the butchers will thin slice the London Broil for you. You can watch the live fish in the tanks while you wait and try to figure out what kind of animals and fish are sitting on ice. I use eye of round. When I need a large amount of beef for a party and want fresh, I hit the Ranch 99 in Mountain View or Milpitas.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Home-made goose jerky and Lundberg rice cakes made in California! Got to keep those Cali rice farmers in the money... :wink:
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:34 pm

friedcoot wrote:The Asian markets (Ranch 99) have great beef prices and the butchers will thin slice the London Broil for you. You can watch the live fish in the tanks while you wait and try to figure out what kind of animals and fish are sitting on ice. I use eye of round. When I need a large amount of beef for a party and want fresh, I hit the Ranch 99 in Mountain View or Milpitas.

The last time I went to R99 in Milpitas some Chinese lady didn't take kindly to me walking by so she bared her teeth and hissed at me.

No joke. :eek:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 pm

goosehappy wrote:Home-made goose jerky and Lundberg rice cakes made in California! Got to keep those Cali rice farmers in the money... :wink:

Lol! Anyone get corn subdidies around here? We need to call them on the carpet as well.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:19 pm

slowshooter wrote:
friedcoot wrote:The Asian markets (Ranch 99) have great beef prices and the butchers will thin slice the London Broil for you. You can watch the live fish in the tanks while you wait and try to figure out what kind of animals and fish are sitting on ice. I use eye of round. When I need a large amount of beef for a party and want fresh, I hit the Ranch 99 in Mountain View or Milpitas.

The last time I went to R99 in Milpitas some Chinese lady didn't take kindly to me walking by so she bared her teeth and hissed at me.

Well stop staring at her eldest daughter.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:42 am

friedcoot wrote:
slowshooter wrote:

Heck, she was alone. Maybe she thought I was going to steal the dehydrated mushrooms right out of her tiny little hands.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:55 pm

slowshooter wrote:
friedcoot wrote:
slowshooter wrote:

Heck, she was alone. Maybe she thought I was going to steal the dehydrated mushrooms right out of her tiny little hands.

I seem to recall the whole "hissing with dried mushrooms in hand" thing was a come-on in parts of Asia. And I'll bet she was baring her teeth to show you she wasn't from Stockton.

She probably had the hots for you...
High Sierras
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:56 pm

Slow....

She wasn't hissing. She, "Gots to know".........
blackdog58
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:58 am

High Sierras wrote:
I seem to recall the whole "hissing with dried mushrooms in hand" thing was a come-on in parts of Asia. And I'll bet she was baring her teeth to show you she wasn't from Stockton.

She probably had the hots for you...

That's true! We all know that the folks from Stockton do too much crack to have chompers. (Don't shoot me Stockton people! It was a joke!)

I admit she was kinda pretty... Even hissing!
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:59 am

blackdog58 wrote:Slow....

She wasn't hissing. She, "Gots to know".........

Thanks for making me laugh when I'm sick. I laughed, saw spots and coughed up a lung.... :lol3: :help:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Hey ! that had to be mushroom Annie ? Was she 4'11" 100 lbs and looked to wear a size 9 1/2 hat ?

hissing is her way of warning , before she rips off all her clothes and puts a toothless smooch on you 1

At least , that's what I've been told by wine-o's hanging around the tracks at night !

I got'ta go , it's getting dark . :help: :help: :lol:
3200 man
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting