Duck Hunting Forum banner

New products in the world of processed food?

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  clampdaddy 
#1 ·
It's 2014 boys and girls, in the old days we'd get Quisp and Quake or funyuns to keep us going in the field. Certainly food scientists have made things better...

What's you're favorite blind snack?

I need to know so I can hoard it just like the dufi that hoard reloading components. :lol3:

#2 ·
I usually take out a large bag of teriyaki beef jerky, a few pouches of fruit snacks and a couple water bottles. Don't have to haul a small ice chest out there with me with this kind of stuff. I'll eat "real food" on the way home.

#6 ·
Depends who was invited to go out in my boat blind, but we have had prosciutto and swiss wraps, hot wax peppers, meat ball sandwiches, salami wraps, duck wraps, smoked oysters in the can, Togo's sandwiches.......sorry, no granola eaters on my boat.

Most important item, Copenhagen, Skoal, and or Grizzly.

#7 ·
Butta boom said:
Recently the innovations that have made Mylar type pouches that are micro-waveable for rice and other products have made slow food fast, about 90 seconds to prepare.
Even my best blind did not have a microwave. I think a generator would flare the birds too. Although, on slow days it would of kept me up.

I'm still a chocolate bar, coffee and dried beef guy.

#10 ·
Slow,

You could always try making your own... Get your hands on a chunk of really lean beef like london broil (or a chunk of deer or elk if you have any) slice it up, either as thin as you can with the grain, or ~1/8" thick across the grain -- in my experience, going with the grain makes for a 'chewier' jerky, going cross grain makes for easier eating, but it can fall apart if it's too dried out. Try making a half a dozen different concotions with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, red wine, fresh garlic... use your imagination.

Put your concoctions in gallon ziplock baggies and write the recipie on the bag. Put a half pound of thinly sliced meat in each flavor, marinate overnight in the fridge and run them through the dehydrator. If you don't have a dehydrator, you could do what my friend down in Sacramento does - he strings it up on fishline and criss crosses the garage with it. Whenever he gets a deer his entire garage becomes a cobweb of drying venison. BTW, my friend only uses table salt & lots of cracked black pepper, but that's because that's how his dad did it for years.

When your jerky is dried, start sampling. When you find one you like, you're set. The varieties you don't like can always be chopped up and used in a stew, you should be able to season out whatever you didn't like along with the carrots, celery, onions and potatoes.

#11 ·
High Sierras said:
Slow,

You could always try making your own... Get your hands on a chunk of really lean beef like london broil (or a chunk of deer or elk if you have any) slice it up, either as thin as you can with the grain, or ~1/8" thick across the grain -- in my experience, going with the grain makes for a 'chewier' jerky, going cross grain makes for easier eating, but it can fall apart if it's too dried out. Try making a half a dozen different concotions with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, red wine, fresh garlic... use your imagination.

Put your concoctions in gallon ziplock baggies and write the recipie on the bag. Put a half pound of thinly sliced meat in each flavor, marinate overnight in the fridge and run them through the dehydrator. If you don't have a dehydrator, you could do what my friend down in Sacramento does - he strings it up on fishline and criss crosses the garage with it. Whenever he gets a deer his entire garage becomes a cobweb of drying venison. BTW, my friend only uses table salt & lots of cracked black pepper, but that's because that's how his dad did it for years.

When your jerky is dried, start sampling. When you find one you like, you're set. The varieties you don't like can always be chopped up and used in a stew, you should be able to season out whatever you didn't like along with the carrots, celery, onions and potatoes.
This I will do! I have a pretty big dehydrator that my wife asked for and used a few times. She hopefully will let me use it. Would be great to put together a bunch and see what works best. Thanks for the advice!

#13 ·
I like the dehydrator that Alton Brown used on Good Eats. Furnace Filters and a box fan. Put it a window blowing outside.

If you make spicy enough jerky it might act like mace if there's enough capsicum in the pepper you use. Keep the solicitors from your front step. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
The Asian markets (Ranch 99) have great beef prices and the butchers will thin slice the London Broil for you. You can watch the live fish in the tanks while you wait and try to figure out what kind of animals and fish are sitting on ice. I use eye of round. When I need a large amount of beef for a party and want fresh, I hit the Ranch 99 in Mountain View or Milpitas.

#16 ·
friedcoot said:
The Asian markets (Ranch 99) have great beef prices and the butchers will thin slice the London Broil for you. You can watch the live fish in the tanks while you wait and try to figure out what kind of animals and fish are sitting on ice. I use eye of round. When I need a large amount of beef for a party and want fresh, I hit the Ranch 99 in Mountain View or Milpitas.
The last time I went to R99 in Milpitas some Chinese lady didn't take kindly to me walking by so she bared her teeth and hissed at me.

No joke. :eek:

#18 ·
slowshooter said:
friedcoot said:
The last time I went to R99 in Milpitas some Chinese lady didn't take kindly to me walking by so she bared her teeth and hissed at me.

Well stop staring at her eldest daughter.

#19 ·
friedcoot said:
slowshooter said:
friedcoot said:

Heck, she was alone. Maybe she thought I was going to steal the dehydrated mushrooms right out of her tiny little hands.

#20 ·
slowshooter said:
friedcoot said:
slowshooter said:
friedcoot said:
Heck, she was alone. Maybe she thought I was going to steal the dehydrated mushrooms right out of her tiny little hands.
I seem to recall the whole "hissing with dried mushrooms in hand" thing was a come-on in parts of Asia. And I'll bet she was baring her teeth to show you she wasn't from Stockton.

She probably had the hots for you...

#22 ·
High Sierras said:
I seem to recall the whole "hissing with dried mushrooms in hand" thing was a come-on in parts of Asia. And I'll bet she was baring her teeth to show you she wasn't from Stockton.

She probably had the hots for you...
That's true! We all know that the folks from Stockton do too much crack to have chompers. (Don't shoot me Stockton people! It was a joke!)

I admit she was kinda pretty... Even hissing!

#24 ·
Hey ! that had to be mushroom Annie ? Was she 4'11" 100 lbs and looked to wear a size 9 1/2 hat ?

hissing is her way of warning , before she rips off all her clothes and puts a toothless smooch on you 1

At least , that's what I've been told by wine-o's hanging around the tracks at night !

I got'ta go , it's getting dark . :help: :help: :lol:

#25 ·
3200 man said:
Hey ! that had to be mushroom Annie ? Was she 4'11" 100 lbs and looked to wear a size 9 1/2 hat ?

hissing is her way of warning , before she rips off all her clothes and puts a toothless smooch on you 1

At least , that's what I've been told by wine-o's hanging around the tracks at night !

I got'ta go , it's getting dark . :help: :help: :lol:
Haa haa! I bet she smells like vodka and taco bell.

Wait... That's hot. :lol3: :lol3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.