Duck Hunting Forum banner

mendota

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Silver Wings 
#1 ·
any advice on Mendota as far as what to expect n how crowded it is, never been duck hunting before. do I need waders or can u just retrieve with a fishing rod? I will be hunting with my boys who are younger, so im getting ready now by having them do skeet and trap up till next season. plan on hunting wedsdays as im hoping it wont be as crowded as on tha weekend. do I need a stationary blind or am I good if I just cammo out? thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
It gets busy sometimes. But wednesday is usually the best days to go out. Yes you will need waders and yes you can wade in the ponds. Most of them arent to deep...but you will notice almost all of them are deep for the first 10-15 feet as you enter a pond. so dont get discouraged they will get shallower lol and as far as blinds you wont need to bring a blinds. just bring tule seats and hunker down in some tules. good luck

#8 ·
A 4 and 6 year old introduced to shotgunning are not going to be ready. Start them out with a rimfire. The 8 year old will get a bit punched but should do fine if your using light 20ga. loads.

#10 ·
good idea, first wedsday of next season go out at noon and get a feel for the area, then hunker down alone and well away from others for evening shoot, I don't expect to get anything my first few times out especially with young kids, but well have fun just being out... took me quite awhile when I first moved here to adjust my fishing style from the gulf coast to California streams, I expect hunting will be tha same..... gonna start out this summer with pidgeon hunting on some friends dairyies to build tha kiddos confidence and fill tha freezer...lotsa pdgeons out there....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.