Gear setup for next year

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

Gear setup for next year

Postby Noobhunter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Last year I hunted with some guys that had some flocked Mallards, I was impressed on how great they looked. they also used a slotted bag to keep them in good shape. My mallards after one year are looking pretty sad so Im thinking of throwing some money down and getting some flocked dekes and a similiar setup of a Slotted decoy bag and sled.

the flocked dekes are pretty damn expensive compared to others , are they worth the money , do they really fool the ducks or just me?
Noobhunter
hunter

Re: Gear setup for next year

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Go to Michaels craft store or any craft store and you can make your old decoys look pretty good with your own flocking kit for about $20.00.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:03 am

Here's a question no one has ever answered. With all the improvements in gear why haven't the duck numbers for hunters gone up on average?

From guns, paint, shells and dekes. If the past 20 years of ads were all rolled into one we should have ducks flying into our blinds, putting themselves on the strap, grabbing our guns and shooting themselves in la cabeza.

If you like flocking I say go for it but it might be better to work on calling and shooting - and provided there are ducks in the air next season - the benefits will be apparent and immediate in the blind.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:31 am

Oh boy, the flocked decoys make all the difference. I don't know what my duck numbers would look like right now if I didn't have my flocked Dakota Decoy mallards. Using those in combination with my mojo mallards, my Echo DRT to call em in and 3 1/2" BB Blindside out of my Benelli Supervinci w/ a polychoke to finish em off the birds may as well put themselves on my strap, cause I can pick em off out to 70 yards. Not like they'd ever see me anyway, on account of my drake jacket.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby hntndux » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:23 am

How about a couple thousand gas cannons in all those un-hunted rice fields?? Im thinking that would help too!!!
hntndux
hunter

Postby straightsixes » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:54 am

Put me in the category of those who like the look of a flocked greenhead decoy (head/tail).

I ran those on refuges for a couple years prior to switching over to rice etc. The kits are pretty easy to do and are a fun offseason project.

With that being said I never ran them in the rice because I didn't want them to get ruined.

At the same time I can't give anyone data that they actually ever pulled birds closer when they were being used.

It made me feel confident that they were as realistic looking a as I could afford but that's about it.

At this point I put my efforts towards maximum concealment and shotgunning skill.

Would I recommend paying lots of $$ for flocked decoys . No. Would it be an interesting and fun summer project on decoys I already own... yes.
straightsixes
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 am

Normally I am a cheap bastard and always going the DIY way. I did this with my first set of dekes a couple years ago spent $30 for a dozen mallard which were wrecked after 8 times out then I spent another $30 in paint for them and some old plasti duck sprigs someone gave me and the mallards looked like crap after 4 times out with them. Ive decided in investing in some quality dekes and definitely go with a slotted bag to keep them in good shape. Last year I was stupid and spent dough on a huge decoy bag that held my shotgun as well, I was all gung ho thinking that it would be no problem packing it since I regularly workout. I did one hike with 2 dozen dekes, my gun and mojos from Blind 41 at sac and said I'll never carry dekes again.

I also plan on investing some time and money on calls and shooting skills. Would love to get a semiauto to replace my supernova but theirs no way i can justify that with my wife. Its eaiser for me to invest in duck dinners and raffles to win a semiauto. thats how I got my SuperNova and a sweet Berreta 40 cal. :thumbsup:

basically i get about 8 day passes from the boss to go hunting usually with my daughter so I need every edge i can get. Im thinking it wouldn't hurt to have some good looking dekes to give me an edge or make me feel like Im doing the right thing.

do the flocked ducks hold up if taken care of?
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:14 am

Noobhunter wrote:do the flocked ducks hold up if taken care of?

Slotted bags help. Individually bagging then putting in slotted bags are better. Be careful of the material the bags are made of as anything with any "grip" will damage flocking, more so that fabrics with "slip" if that makes any sense. Nylon/polyester bags will be better than canvas cotton duck bags. No mesh bags since that will tear up flocking.

That's my $0.02.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:43 am

hntndux wrote:How about a couple thousand gas cannons in all those un-hunted rice fields?? Im thinking that would help too!!!

You mean next to this.
My cannon will be the only one going off into that this weekend 5-10k geese sitting across from
My pit. . It's gross how many ducks are out there now.

Flocked decoys look good but i would not spend the money on new ones. I have hunted with them
And got skunked. I have hunted with them and shot limits. Is it the decoys. :huh:
Attachments
image.jpg
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:Oh boy, the flocked decoys make all the difference. I don't know what my duck numbers would look like right now if I didn't have my flocked Dakota Decoy mallards. Using those in combination with my mojo mallards, my Echo DRT to call em in and 3 1/2" BB Blindside out of my Benelli Supervinci w/ a polychoke to finish em off the birds may as well put themselves on my strap, cause I can pick em off out to 70 yards. Not like they'd ever see me anyway, on account of my drake jacket.

You forgot the top of line dd face paint. Rookie.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:52 pm

I have a six pack of Greenhead Gear full body mallards, and the flocked heads for the drakes. I have a spot where I put them out on a levee, and have used them surrounding a refuge blind as well.

They have held up very well, and are kept in a 6 slot bag. They are put out and taken in for each hunt. They don’t sit out in the elements. I have had them for 8 plus years. I have replaced the flocked heads once. ($15).

• They definitely helped me this year on several occasions. One specific time...4 mallards were somewhat coming my way. I did not call. The group was about to turn away from my spot, and the lead hen snapped her neck around and keyed on the full bodies. She brought the others with her and they came direct to those dekes. I tripled on them.

Can they work, yes. Do you need them? That’s up to you.

Good luck

P>S. I have used a flocking kit also for other dekes. Works fine if you follow the instructions.
Last edited by DuckFan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:51 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:Oh boy, the flocked decoys make all the difference. I don't know what my duck numbers would look like right now if I didn't have my flocked Dakota Decoy mallards. Using those in combination with my mojo mallards, my Echo DRT to call em in and 3 1/2" BB Blindside out of my Benelli Supervinci w/ a polychoke to finish em off the birds may as well put themselves on my strap, cause I can pick em off out to 70 yards. Not like they'd ever see me anyway, on account of my drake jacket.

I dont care who you are that's funny right there :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:35 pm

Hunted private property for honkers one year and had competion with another group of guys about 300 yards away. they had 2 dozen fully flocked stander decoys....we had 8 full body tanglefrees and a dozen cheap shells. they had the fancy coffin blinds. we layed in the mud with a super mag laying across our legs and camo netting covering our faces. we shot birds. they didnt. It made them very upset haha :) I dont beleive in flocked dekes what so ever.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Jeezzzz, what a bunch of grumpy bastards. Must not have shot that well this year. The guy asked about flocked decoys, so I gave him alternative to spending a $130.00 for a dozen. You don't have to sink his ship about the decoys. Rough crowd!!! I forgot about all you haters , who think you are all so perfect. Maybe you use a ton dekes or only a few. Maybe your calling really sucks, but you think its great. What ever "your thing" is, its probably different than the next guy out hunting trying to enjoy the outdoors. If he wants opinions on flocked decoys and their effectiveness, this is a good place to get opinions. Unfortunately, he will get some of those opinions he is looking for, but there's always an idiot who has to bash the guy for asking a question.

If you think you are the Messiah of waterfowling, I challenge you to take 7 shells, a single shot 20 guage , milk jugs for decoys, and a willow reed for a duck call, better yet collapse the lung of the first duck you kill for a duck call. Trying hunting like this and we will see if you haven't upgraded your equipment. You all have upgraded your equipment from the time you started hunting! Anyone who says not is a liar.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:14 pm

DuckFan wrote:I have a six pack of Greenhead Gear full body mallards, and the flocked heads for the drakes. I have a spot where I put them out on a levee, and have used them surrounding a refuge blind as well.

They have held up very well, and are kept in a 6 slot bag. They are put out and taken in for each hunt. They don’t sit out in the elements. I have had them for 8 plus years. I have replaced the flocked heads once. ($15).

• They definitely helped me this year on several occasions. One specific time...4 mallards were somewhat coming my way. I did not call. The group was about to turn away from my spot, and the lead hen snapped her neck around and keyed on the fill bodies. She brought the others with her and they came direct to those dekes. I tripled on them.

Can they work, yes. Do you need them? That’s up to you.

Good luck

P>S. I have used a flocking kit also for other dekes. Works fine if you follow the instructions.

I have had the same set for probably the same amount of time. Was out with Rel (bless his heart) and the flocked heads worked really well. Storing them is a little tough but mine have lasted years. I don't break them out as often as I used to but I have no doubt they would still help a bit over the dekes I'm using now - which look like they were used as doormats.
Last edited by slowshooter on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Noob hunter, I have a dozen Dakota mallards. They are the first generation, about 3/4 years old now. They still look pretty good. I mix them in with other high quality decoys and use them as the focal point of where I think or want the birds to work directly over. I only use at max 18 decoys with maybe 2 or 3 flocked birds where I want them to land. I also use a 12 slot bag, and secure the weights around the keel, not the neck.

My only complaint is the century style hen decoy is top heavy and I hunt in current where the decoys are constantly moving. So she falls over often. Don't know why, its just the Susie with the long neck.

In my opinion they are a nice addition to a small spread, I doubt it makes a difference with more than 30-40 decoys. The flocked decoys will just get lost in the numbers. They stand out to the naked at 100 yds from ground level over other decoys. Overall, I like the product, and will continue to use them.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Noob,

It's good that you are planning ahead and as Quacker pointed out, it's easy to take comments here negatively. Some guys here are a little sarcastic but all of us want you to succeed.

Once you get your dekes in order. I really do recommend you get to a local shooting establishment and work on the toughest part of the game. Which is hitting what you point at.

If you spend money on dekes, and can't close the deal that would be a bummer.

Good luck,
Slow
slowshooter
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 pm

slowshooter wrote:Here's a question no one has ever answered. With all the improvements in gear why haven't the duck numbers for hunters gone up on average?

From guns, paint, shells and dekes. If the past 20 years of ads were all rolled into one we should have ducks flying into our blinds, putting themselves on the strap, grabbing our guns and shooting themselves in la cabeza.

We're all just trying to keep up with skybusting. If you can think of a way to stop that, you should package it and sell it, because it would be 10x more effective than all the new equipment on the market put together. These ducks are becoming more educated every year, as more people crowd the refuges to pass shoot at ducks and geese.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 pm

PaulyQuackers wrote:We're all just trying to keep up with skybusting. If you can think of a way to stop that, you should package it and sell it, because it would be 10x more effective than all the new equipment on the market put together. These ducks are becoming more educated every year, as more people crowd the refuges to pass shoot at ducks and geese.

I've got it! Rubber band shells. They have an elastic band attached to every pellet. Those bands allow for a maximum of 40 yards then they snap back. If you shoot over 40 yards at a bird the shot comes "back atcha". Maybe that would do it? lol Heck automatic retrieves too, the birds would come right back to you.

Ooh, better yet, pellets similar to fireworks that travel so far and then fizzle into nothing but smoke? With the "so far" being 40 yards. The plus to this is you get a perfectly roasted duck when you connect.

Che*tongue*ek
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:08 pm

I've found out food,low hunting pressure and wind works best.
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Is shooting ducks at 70 yards really bragging about how well your decoys work? I don't take many shots over 45 yd I added 3 dozen blue collar fullbodys to my floater spread this year I like the blue collars they have a 3 year paint warranty and I was able to purchase 36" stakes for the 20"of water I hunt over. Seemed to work well. On a really poor weather season there was only 1 saturday hunt led I didn't limit. I usually have a 5 year old and 7 year old with me. Hours in the blind are usually limited to 4 in the morning. I tried 6 quality flocked full bodies not really a feasible thing to leave out all season. But if your picking up every hunt absolutely every bit of an edge you can get. On top of that you won't be sitting there wondering if I had flocked deeks could I have sucked those birds in 20 more yards and had a good shot. Meaning less than 70yds! Haha

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Post of the year. :lol3: :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:14 pm

AJCsurf wrote:

Post of the year. :lol3: :thumbsup:

There's still room to mention your vacuum therma max double walled Thermos, your Under Armor Coldgear boot socks, the Streamlight scorpion X flashlight and the 2014 model Chevrolet 4x4 Silverado with the new improved ignition system.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:46 pm

slowshooter wrote:Here's a question no one has ever answered. With all the improvements in gear why haven't the duck numbers for hunters gone up on average?.......

I've often wondered if we over estimate our quarry. You can have the best camo on the market, a well brushed blind, be careful not to make any sudden moves or show your face too much and birds will still cut wide, but you step out of the blind to take a piss you will get buzzed by a flock at 20 yards. Go figure. :huh:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:36 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
slowshooter wrote:Here's a question no one has ever answered. With all the improvements in gear why haven't the duck numbers for hunters gone up on average?.......

I've often wondered if we over estimate our quarry. You can have the best camo on the market, a well brushed blind, be careful not to make any sudden moves or show your face too much and birds will still cut wide, but you step out of the blind to take a piss you will get buzzed by a flock at 20 yards. Go figure. :huh:

Well that is why baiting is illegal. Pull the duck bait out and in they come.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting