President of our F&G Commission – Legal Hunting and Poaching

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Postby DuckFan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:42 pm

http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=526%3Amichael-sutton-fgc-president-calls-hunting-not-sustainable&Itemid=69

Michael Sutton, FGC president, calls hunting not sustainable
From Outdoor News Service

Michael Sutton, the president of the state Fish and Game Commission, in an online web conference organized by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) about poaching, said this week that California's wildlife face other threats in addition to poaching, saying he believed that legal hunting or harvesting of wildlife may cause greater overall problems.

"I actually believe legal hunting that's not sustainable may be a more pervasive problem in California," said Sutton during the web conference, according to a story on KCET's web site.

Sutton is president of the Commission that sets hunting and fishing seasons annually, and it would be the Commission's responsibility NOT to set any seasons that were NOT sustainable. So is Sutton saying the Department of Fish and Game is providing the Commission with scientific data that is flawed to maintain hunting? Is he saying no hunting seasons are sustainable? Does he believe that legal hunting is causing problems for populations of wildlife? What proof does he have? Or is he pandering to the Humane Society?

Sutton who is again facing serious conflict of interest charges (link of story) over his paid involvement in writing the statewide lead ammunition ban that passed the California legislature this past year dodged a similar complaint (link to story) over the Marine Life Protection Act in 2009, when an investigation suddenly and unexplainably was dropped.

Sportsmen need to call their state representative and demand that Sutton be removed from the Fish and Game Commission because of his clear anti-hunting bias and his ongoing conflict of interest that should have sent him packing years ago. The state Department of Fish and Wildlife staff, pointedly the director Chuck Bonham, needs to confront Sutton on his comments about which DFW recommended hunting program is detrimental to wildlife and ask him for the scientific data to back up those charges. I'm not holding my breath on Bonham doing anything but cowering, but sportsmen can and will start howling to their state legislators over this insanity.

I am alarmed by the comments. I have just written the Commission and particularly Mr. Sutton, asking for answers.

I did tell them in my message that I was specifically looking for a response, and that my message was not merely to be considered as a "comment'.

I requested his response.

I certainly think all concerned hunters and fishermen need to voice their concerns. If the anti hunting community can get a commissioner ousted for a legal hunt of a mountain lion, then hunting organizations can certainly have our say in this issue - and request answers....and then decide what steps need to occur going forward.

Perhaps if enough of us write courteous messages asking for him to clarify, define etc his comments - then maybe the commission will take this seriously and provide a response.

Commission:

e mail: fgc@fgc.ca.gov

US Mail:
California Fish and Game Commission
P.O. Box 944209
Sacramento, CA 94244-2090

Phone: (916) 653-4899
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Re: President of our F&G Commission – Legal Hunting and Poac

Postby DuckFan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:27 pm

Looks like he is getting some letters

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/public/notices/St ... Sutton.pdf
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:32 pm

I have a red hand print on my forehead from slapping it so darn hard.

Time to give this guy the boot.

Thanks for posting that DuckFan!
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Huntsprig » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Huntsprig
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks Duckfan But what about every hunting organization in California ? Hopefully , this has been addressed to
them as well ?

This should tell us something being he was appointed by the Governor , shouldn't he know ?....Better :mad:
3200 man
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 am

I sent an email but that is not enough. We (hunters) need to show in force and demand his resignation. This is not acceptable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:27 pm

My disappointment is that his message does not say he was misquoted for his statement. Instead he tries to "Clarify” his position.

Why did he say it in the first place?

I am not satisfied...and I am afraid others will be and let it go.

Everyone needs to send a message to him so he knows we are watching, and making a remark as he did is wrong. Don't apologize for our 'confusion'. Apologize for what he said, that we all understood clearly....and explain the statement he made
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:58 pm

What the.....? In his original statement he says that he is worried about non sustainable legal hunting being a problem, but in the letter to his boss he says that he doesn't know of any non sustainable legal hunting going on in Ca.. Sooooo.....what was he worried about then? :huh:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby bugman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:03 pm

I wrote and complained to both the F&G commission and the governor. Contact both with your complaints.
bugman
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:45 am

clampdaddy wrote:What the.....? In his original statement he says that he is worried about non sustainable legal hunting being a problem, but in the letter to his boss he says that he doesn't know of any non sustainable legal hunting going on in Ca.. Sooooo.....what was he worried about then? :huh:

The best way for him to clarify is his message is to admit that he's a glad-handing panderer.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:10 am

You know they run in packs , don't you ? :yes: :mad:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 am

slowshooter wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:What the.....? In his original statement he says that he is worried about non sustainable legal hunting being a problem, but in the letter to his boss he says that he doesn't know of any non sustainable legal hunting going on in Ca.. Sooooo.....what was he worried about then? :huh:

The best way for him to clarify is his message is to admit that he's a glad-handing panderer.

Yup. :thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:01 pm

At this pointt, he feels he responded and it will die and go away

Please send letters and emails. He has to know that thousands of us are not satisfied and demand an accounting for his statements..... Not to tell us we have been confused

Tell your Friends too
Last edited by DuckFan on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Western Outdoors News perspective on this:

http://www.wonews.com/t-Perspective_Mik ... 21414.aspx

So far 2,165 "Likes"
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Everyone who hunts in California should be sending letters to the governor and the FandG Commission. Anything less than his removal is not acceptable to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby speczilla » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:33 am

Thanks Rick for bringing this up and staying on top of it. The best thing to do is write/email/call BOTH the governor AND your local state senator as they have the ability to put pressure and call a hearing to get to the bottom of this. Do it enough and they will have to take action.
speczilla
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 am

Remember this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=231986
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:55 am

Mallards Only wrote:Remember this thread?

Yeah. We're still hunting. Some of us refuse to give up, some would rather turn tail. What's your point?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:30 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Mallards Only wrote:Remember this thread?

Yeah. We're still hunting. Some of us refuse to give up, some would rather turn tail. What's your point?

That it's gonna suck to be right.

Believe what you want. The writing is on the wall. Fight all you want but unless you get rid of the liberal administration in place, it's like trying to get guys like SS and DB to accept fact and common sense, not to mention the Constitution.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Well, since we won't be needing any hunting gear in a few years, can I have your calls?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Tommyo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks for the address - I look forward to tearing into this situation this week. Certainly at least copy to the Governor as well.
Find a way when there is no way.
Tommyo
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:13 am

clampdaddy wrote:Well, since we won't be needing any hunting gear in a few years, can I have your calls?

Nope. I'll need 'em in the state I'm relocating to.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby bugman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 pm

After a couple letters to the the State F&G Commission, I got a very nice reply from Sherrie Fonbuena, of the F&GC. She pointed out that the commissioners are appointed by the gov and confirmed by the senate. They can only be removed by a concurrent resolution of the state legislature. Thus, she said we should direct requests for Mr. Sutton's dismissal to the California legislature. I do not know where or how to get to the "California legislature" as a whole unless we contact our personal representatives and senators. I don't know about yours, but my reps and senators have not been receptive to my requests for their help regarding anything involving hunting or guns. HSUS has us screwed. But they have done their level best to get people in agencies controlling our activities. Hunters and fishers now need to do the same. Obviously they have more co-ordination than we do - a lesson to be learned.
bugman
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Mallards Only wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Well, since we won't be needing any hunting gear in a few years, can I have your calls?

Nope. I'll need 'em in the state I'm relocating to.

I recommend Alabama. It's a State rated so poorly that it's the rare opportunity for you to make two states better when you leave California.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Why Them ? You could pick a state in the top 2.......in football.......can't you ? That has Ducks , too ! :yes:

I already have kindling on this pile so , lighter up boys ! :lol:
3200 man
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting