Ab Season is Almost Here!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Re: Ab Season is Almost Here!

Postby ASteve » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 pm

[/quote]
People not measuring abs right isn't as big of a problem as the hmongs that go out and pick sacks full of them at a time.[/quote]

Really! It makes me SICK how many divers pop abs first and then measure. You measure then take the ab if you want it, but NEVER put an iron under an ab without measuring it first! You cut the ab it dies...simple. There are WAY TOO many weekend warriors / once a year so called ab divers out there that do a lot of damage to the populations by not measuring. Respect the resource period! No excuses...Sorry I'm just passionate about this subject as I put many hours each year diving for my beloved snail...

Carry on gents... :beer:

SC
ASteve
Newb

Postby Huck » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Amen to that Asteve. My rule is if I touch it with the iron it is mine no 'trade ups'. I typically find the first big one of the morning isn't really that big. Only take it if it looks huge, you will find it is average once at surface. Otherwise buy a 9" gauge if your under water judgement is bad (that is finally what I did).
Huck
hunter

Postby berdnird » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Huck wrote:Amen to that Asteve. My rule is if I touch it with the iron it is mine no 'trade ups'. I typically find the first big one of the morning isn't really that big. Only take it if it looks huge, you will find it is average once at surface. Otherwise buy a 9" gauge if your under water judgement is bad (that is finally what I did).

I always say that abs get smaller the closer you get to the surface. It always seems like each ab is a new world record, then as you start ascending it looks a little smaller, and when you go to measure it at the surface.....it's a clinker.
berdnird
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting