Legal Solo Hunting Age?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Legal Solo Hunting Age?

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:46 pm

What is the legal age to hunt alone? I've heard every answer there is. I've also recently found this, does that mean I'm good to hunt by myself, since I'm 16, if my parent loans me the gun?
27505. (a) No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or
transfer a firearm to a minor, nor sell a handgun to an individual
under 21 years of age.
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to or affect the following
circumstances:...
(2) The transfer or loan of a firearm, other than a handgun, to a
minor by the minor's parent or legal guardian.
Last edited by ducks~n~bucks on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Re: Legal Hunting Age?

Postby pork4life » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Its 16........ I am aloud to go solo on wildlife area and I'm 16
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Re: Legal Solo Hunting Age?

Postby DuckFan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:27 pm

Pork4life is correct- 16

Special Note:
Persons 16 or 17 years of age in possession of a valid resident or nonresident hunting license will be issued entry permits and may hunt by themselves, but may not be accompanied by junior hunters.

BUT, you must have an adult license...not have purchased a junior license and then turn 16 during the season. In that case, if you still had purchased the junior license because you had not yet turned 16 as of July 1st, AND you turn 16 after July 1st, you can NOT hunt alone. The license you will have is a junior license, and under the authority of a junior license, even if 16 - you cannot hunt alone.

Those that are 16 or 17 with a "valid resident license" can hunt alone. However, the rule and law equates a 'valid resident' license as those for people older than 16 on July 1st....so you have to have an adult license.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby blugoose » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 pm

For a refuge 16 is correct. Just to hunt private property no age limit.
blugoose
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 pm

DuckFan wrote:Pork4life is correct- 16

Special Note:
Persons 16 or 17 years of age in possession of a valid resident or nonresident hunting license will be issued entry permits and may hunt by themselves, but may not be accompanied by junior hunters.

BUT, you must have an adult license...not have purchased a junior license and then turn 16 during the season. In that case, if you still had purchased the junior license because you had not yet turned 16 as of July 1st, AND you turn 16 after July 1st, you can NOT hunt alone. The license you will have is a junior license, and under the authority of a junior license, even if 16 - you cannot hunt alone.

Those that are 16 or 17 with a valid resident license can hunt alone. However, the rule and law equates a 'valid resident' license as those for people older than 16 on July 1st....so you have to have an adult license.

Can I get a link to where it says that? That means that I won't be able to hunt by myself this turkey season, but I'm good next deer season and duck season!
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby DuckFan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:01 am

This is direct information from conversations I have had with Glenn Underwood at DFG license branch, after a rule change to junior licenses a few years back

Feel free to contact him there if you want
(916) 928-5805

Good luck hunting
Last edited by DuckFan on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby quackattack77 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:03 am

I started hunting alone at 14 and encountered game wardens that had no problem with it, unless it's the junior hunt then as long as you got a license, shells, and gun you should be good
quackattack77
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:15 am

DuckFan wrote:This is direct information from conversations I have had with Glenn Underwood at DFG license branch, after a rule change to junior licenses a few years back

Feel free to contact him there if you want
(916) 928-5805

Good luck hunting

Thanks!
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby pork4life » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Special Note:

Those that are 16 or 17 with a "valid resident license" can hunt alone. However, the rule and law equates a 'valid resident' license as those for people older than 16 on July 1st....so you have to have an adult license.

Question......... I want to hunt by myself because school will be let out early and stuff like that, so can I just go get an adult license and all the stamps and crap or am I stuck like this.
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 pm

There are laws about driving between 11p.m. and 5a.m. if you are under 18. Also, there are laws about having a firearm in vehicle if you are under 18. These laws were not around when I was a kid but the gun laws and driving times were passed due to "gang violence". There might be exemptions to these laws that I am unaware of as I am by no means an expert. I hope there is. If not, it's time to write your Representative and hope he never heard this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeWC59FJqGc
friedcoot
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:56 pm

pork4life wrote:

Special Note:

Question......... I want to hunt by myself because school will be let out early and stuff like that, so can I just go get an adult license and all the stamps and crap or am I stuck like this.

My understanding is that if you have a valid junior license that is good til July 1, 2014 - then the system will not allow you to purchase an adult license as well.

You also can check with The license branch at the number I gave above
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting