WWII-Japanese Internment Camps

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

WWII-Japanese Internment Camps

Postby ohioboy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm

I know this is a shot in the dark, but it is a better one than asking around here.

I am a US History teacher in Montgomery County, Maryland (that is how we split them up around here). I am currently teaching World War Two, and would be interested in someone sharing with me a picture, maybe more if possible, of a family member or friend that was sent to the Internment Camps during the war. I am assuming emailing a scanned picture would be the easiest way.

Before you say "Google it!", I can do that, but that does not leave the same impression that a personal picture with a story will.

So, if you have one, I would love for you to shoot me a PM. Thanks.

ohioboy (ryan)
ohioboy
hunter

Re: WWII-Japanese Internment Camps

Postby Butta boom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Before you ask for pictures of the interned Japanese, how many pictures of the eighteen year old boys that were serving their country, that were killed in a sneak attack on pearl harbor, are being used in the class.

Interned Japanese had weeks warning before they were interned, we would have enjoyed that same lead time. The interned Japanese that had property were treated well by their neighbors. The farmers in my area took care of those farms, and in many cases were returned to them after the war.

If the purpose of your curriculum is to dishonor our behavior in the second world war, you should be removed from any contact with our youth, let alone be a teacher.

For those of us that lost family in that war, the wounds are healed, but the distortion of history is intolerable.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Oh good gawd...this person is a history teacher...there is no reason to pick and choose which parts of history we teach. All aspects of the war are important to learn about....

Or maybe we should burn all the books that reference Japanese internment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Butta boom wrote:Before you ask for pictures of the interned Japanese, how many pictures of the eighteen year old boys that were serving their country, that were killed in a sneak attack on pearl harbor, are being used in the class.

Interned Japanese had weeks warning before they were interned, we would have enjoyed that same lead time. The interned Japanese that had property were treated well by their neighbors. The farmers in my area took care of those farms, and in many cases were returned to them after the war.

If the purpose of your curriculum is to dishonor our behavior in the second world war, you should be removed from any contact with our youth, let alone be a teacher.

For those of us that lost family in that war, the wounds are healed, but the distortion of history is intolerable.

You are such an A**hole!
Tiler_J
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
Butta boom wrote:Before you ask for pictures of the interned Japanese, how many pictures of the eighteen year old boys that were serving their country, that were killed in a sneak attack on pearl harbor, are being used in the class.

You are such an A**hole!

^. This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Tiler_J wrote:

You are such an A**hole!

That is greatly understating it.

“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:20 pm

quack-attack wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:

You are such an A**hole!

That is greatly understating it.

I was trying to get my point across and be polite as possible.
Tiler_J
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 pm

I stopped in at Manzanar in December
They do a great job in their little interpretive center'
...learned a little too

Sorry no unpublished photos to send you
but the Manzanar site is a good resource...
Maybe you can find something useful here:
http://www.nps.gov/manz/photosmultimedi ... allery.htm

If you cannot find what you need
try calling the Interpretive Center directly
there are some very nice and knowledgeable people working there who I'm sure would point you in the right direction

Thank You for your hard work educating our kids :bow:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 pm

ditchbanker wrote:I stopped in at Manzanar in December
They do a great job in their little interpretive center'
...learned a little too

Sorry no unpublished photos to send you
but the Manzanar site is a good resource...
Maybe you can find something useful here:
http://www.nps.gov/manz/photosmultimedi ... allery.htm

If you cannot find what you need
try calling the Interpretive Center directly
there are some very nice and knowledgeable people working there who I'm sure would point you in the right direction

Thank You for your hard work educating our kids :bow:

Great post Ditch! :thumbsup:
Tiler_J
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:34 pm

I met a couple ex members from butta boom's club this season parked near my blind. Seemed like nice guys but it was all I could do to keep from asking them if the owner was as big a know it all *** in person as he is on the interwebs.

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 pm

You may also contact Merced County Historical Society in Merced ,California as one of these camps was here , it is part
of our history , here in the valley ! Good People (Friends) Contained , for no reason , in my eyes !

Wish you luck as everyone needs to know , WHY !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 pm

3200 man wrote:You may also contact Merced County Historical Society in Merced ,California as one of these camps was here , it is part
of our history , here in the valley ! Good People (Friends) Contained , for no reason , in my eyes !

Wish you luck as everyone needs to know , WHY !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tiler_J
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Tora Tora Tora

How soon we forget

Twenty years from now we will likely memorialize the Fort Hood Shooter

We declared war against Japan, any actions we undertook we're justifiable under that declaration.

A Kamikaze is not just a drink.

While our acts may have been regrettable now, they should not make us afraid to wage war if necessary in the future.

If you don't believe me learn to speak Chinese.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

WOW...unbelievable. Yeah that's what happened they all went back to their farms homes and businesses that were kept safe and waiting for them and lived happily ever after. Sounds like someone could use a history lesson or two of their own. I have friends who's parents were interned, I don't even know how I would even begin to broach the subject...or even could.

These defenders of the constitution have some "funny" ways of rationalizing and expressing their attitudes. I am not even going to ask someone's opinion on how indentured servitude morphed into chattel slavery and what one might think of slavery's blight on our history. The best way to tell history is to tell it warts and all.

Just take a look at the pictures of the two cities where the Nuclear bombs were dropped. Many of the areas were occupied by citizens who much like us were pawns of government aggression and intervention. Over 200,000 people were killed by vaporization or slow deaths associated with radiation. War sucked for everyone...no revisionist history needed.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/51e.asp

I'm not detecting any regret from you just more latent racist drivel coming to the surface.
Last edited by marsh-mello on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:48 pm

what the hell does this post have to do with cali duck hunting?? :huh:
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:52 pm

kyle916 wrote:what the hell does this post have to do with cali duck hunting?? :huh:

There was an internment camp in tule lake. People hunt in tule lake. Better now?

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 pm

It was the democrats that voted to intern the Japenese.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Butta boom wrote:It was the democrats that voted to intern the Japenese.

Oh OK I see, that makes your statements, attitude and now your finger pointing all OK now. :no:

WOW.....That was an understatement.
Last edited by marsh-mello on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Butta boom wrote:Tora Tora Tora

How soon we forget

Twenty years from now we will likely memorialize the Fort Hood Shooter

We declared war against Japan, any actions we undertook we're justifiable under that declaration.

A Kamikaze is not just a drink.

While our acts may have been regrettable now, they should not make us afraid to wage war if necessary in the future.

If you don't believe me learn to speak Chinese.

Damn, how soon we forget?! Really?! No one is saying anything about what happened in the war with Japan. We are talking about what our country did to AMERICANS! People living here who had their rights taken away because of their ethnicity. Get it?!
Tiler_J
hunter

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Who gives a crap!
Tiler_J
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:03 pm

No crap! Roosevelt was a democrat and I'm sure most of America wanted the japs locked up at that time. I get why they wanted them locked up but that doesn't make it right. You are suppose to learn from history, good and bad. Internment is just as necessary for kids to learn as the attack on Pearl Harbor or the holocaust.

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:05 pm

Butta, do you not understand that the internment of American citizens is a part of our history and is a story that should be passed on to the next generation? The teach didn't come on here trying to rally for some kind of movement. He's teaching history. That's all.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Tiler_J wrote:[ We are talking about what our country did to AMERICANS! People living here who had their rights taken away because of their ethnicity. Get it?!

:thumbsup:
friedcoot
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:37 pm

I think Tiller and Boot should be interred along with Butta
AKPirate
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 pm

never mind... look like this was already mentioned. Guess I should read the entire thread before posting.
Last edited by High Sierras on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Sierras
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting