I need a duck dog

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

I need a duck dog

Postby redsled600 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 pm

It's time to get a new dog but I have no idea where to start..... Any help?!
Contact info, recommendations, numbers, anything is helpful.
I'm only 20 tryin to spend no more than 1,000 but less would be great. College kid on a budget
Thanks guys
redsled600
hunter

Re: I need a duck dog

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 pm

You wanting a Lab,Cheesie, or other breed? Meat dog or a trial dog? May have to give a little more info,but these guys can help out a lot
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby bellabitch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 pm

get a chessie. find a breeder that breeds for good temperament. they are great dogs. indestructible.
bellabitch
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:51 am

DO NOT get a dog. Save your money. Get one at graduation.

Actually if you are in college I doubt you have the time to properly train a dog.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby AJCsurf » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:29 am

TomKat wrote:DO NOT get a dog. Save your money. Get one at graduation.

Actually if you are in college I doubt you have the time to properly train a dog.

Don't listen to this. I trained both my labs during college.

If you have the training ground nearby you can just out in between classes any day of the week. I was able to go out two times a day almost 7 days a week when I was heavy duty into it.

Heck, The most hunting and most dog training I did was when I was in college. Now I can't even get my dogs out after work any day of the week because of a new baby boy, a commute to work, and it not being light enough when I get home.

And this was all around about 20 units per semester, a tutoring job, lifeguard job, and undergrad degree and a masters degree later on.

It can be done. Do it before you are worrying about house remodels, your newborn baby, a mortgage, 9-5 job, commuter traffic..etc...:thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:50 am

AJCsurf wrote:
TomKat wrote:DO NOT get a dog. Save your money. Get one at graduation.

Don't listen to this. I trained both my labs during college.

If you have the training ground nearby you can just out in between classes any day of the week. I was able to go out two times a day almost 7 days a week when I was heavy duty into it.

Heck, The most hunting and most dog training I did was when I was in college. Now I can't even get my dogs out after work any day of the week because of a new baby boy, a commute to work, and it not being light enough when I get home.

And this was all around about 20 units per semester, a tutoring job, lifeguard job, and undergrad degree and a masters degree later on.

It can be done. Do it before you are worrying about house remodels, your newborn baby, a mortgage, 9-5 job, commuter traffic..etc...:thumbsup:

Dont listen to this.
Your education comes first. The dog deserves your full attention. The amount of time they need is surprising.

Also you will want a break from the real world of adult life later and a dog and hunting is the perfect escape.

Two different opinions. Its up to you to make a choice.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby fishin444 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

Sent you a PM
fishin444
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 pm

TomKat wrote:
Dont listen to this.
Your education comes first. The dog deserves your full attention. The amount of time they need is surprising.

Also you will want a break from the real world of adult life later and a dog and hunting is the perfect escape.

Two different opinions. Its up to you to make a choice.

I'll re-iterate this again, I had more free time during college than after. In college, with 20 units (more than most to get out in 4 years), you aren't in class 40 hours a week and you usually don't have a commute or any other adult life BS. 5 Classes puts in you at about 20+ hrs a week. Sprinkle in a few hours at night time doing homework or working then you have lots of free time during the day.

A break from adult life? Buying a dog and going hunting should not be an excuse to get away from life, (i.e. family and obligations with your job). I've hunted more than 50% less since I entered "adult life."

Bottom line, It is do-able if you set your mind to it and don't let college deter you. If you have a good head on your shoulders and organize your time you can train more than most people with day jobs could with the amount of daylight there is each day.

My case is probably unique but My dogs sit in their pen from sun up to sun down mon-fri with no chance of training until the time change and the sun starts going down around 6:30-7. Any day of the week I could have went out to train the dog before classes, in between classes, and before dark while In school.

Agree to disagree I guess? :beer:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:28 pm

I agree with AJ and BellaBitch. Best dog I ever had was a smiling Chessie. I would go with a stud before a bitch. But every one has their own reasons for breed and sex choice. Just make sure you expose them to lots of people and other dogs when they are young.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Another vote for Chessies. The one in my pic has been the easiest dog I've ever trained. Also the easiest to get along with. He's definitely made me a lifetime fan of the real brown duck dog

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby redsled600 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:28 pm

OP here I'm kinda lookin for a black or yellow lab. Times not an issue I can figure that out between work and school. I make time to hunt 4 days a week I can get my dog out plenty.
Never thought about a chessie......
redsled600
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:52 am

Well I have a yellow lab now and he is great. no big complaints. But, my Chessie was one great dog. The lab came from Diamond P.
So far, no issues. I would suggest a long legged lab over the shorter English ones. You want a "tule buster" if your going to be focused on waterfowl.
http://www.diamondplabs.com/
friedcoot
hunter

Postby NurseMan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:15 pm

I love my chessie! she is by far the smartest dog I have ever owned transitions great from waterfowl to upland and back. BUT you definitely need to look for a breeder that breeds for temperment. even show chessies still have the instinct. not like labs. Have fun with it. I formally trained almost everyday for at least an hour.

DISCLAIMER: Chessies are not "an everyones" dog. They own a single human. (maybe a family if everyone is the alpha dog) They tend to be indifferent to strangers if not protective.
Dustin's Artemis of the Wildlands

"First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns. Next thing you know, you're shaving your beard and wearing capri pants. It's a sissy spiral."
NurseMan
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:44 pm

Olive Hills kennels. Call them.

In the meantime, get yourself educated on training.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:38 am

I like most dogs more than people
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:02 am

OGblackcloud wrote:I like most dogs more than people

They are more reliable and loyal than most people
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby berdnird » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 am

friedcoot wrote:Well I have a yellow lab now and he is great. no big complaints. But, my Chessie was one great dog. The lab came from Diamond P.
So far, no issues. I would suggest a long legged lab over the shorter English ones. You want a "tule buster" if your going to be focused on waterfowl.
http://www.diamondplabs.com/

How old is your yellow lab from Diamond P? My yellow lab, also from Diamond P, is just over one year. Couldn't be happier with my dog.
berdnird
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Get a yellow lab puppy while you are in college...for about 7 months you will have the greatest female attractor short of a small child...walk your dog near campus, parks, etc. girls that have no business talking to you will flock to you...if your dog retrieves ducks too it is just a bonus.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:39 pm

quack-attack wrote:Get a yellow lab puppy while you are in college...for about 7 months you will have the greatest female attractor short of a small child...walk your dog near campus, parks, etc. girls that have no business talking to you will flock to you...if your dog retrieves ducks too it is just a bonus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxLYp_TFv8
friedcoot
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:17 pm

I have a chocolate lab one year old that needs a good home...Interested?
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby redsled600 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Got one good lead for some puppies I'm waiting to see but the Dam is too small for my liking
After all the help I think I've decided I'm looking for a black lab preferably male.

Anymore help would be great!
redsled600
hunter

Postby bellabitch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 pm

redsled600 wrote:It's time to get a new dog but I have no idea where to start..... Any help?!<br abp="1259">Contact info, recommendations, numbers, anything is helpful. <br abp="1260">I'm only 20 tryin to spend no more than 1,000 but less would be great. College kid on a budget <br abp="1261">Thanks guys

good luck with that. I still recommend a chessie. female, medium size - about 70 pounds.
bellabitch
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting