Recent articles in the Sac Bee on water

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Recent articles in the Sac Bee on water

Postby Butta boom » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 pm

I view the recent, front page article in the Sac Bee as being informative, and important for Sac Valley hunters to read. The current drought as it relates to the law here in California for the few Sac River users that pre-date the Shasta Dam, is important to understand the legal use of our water here in Nor Cal.

Most of us know who GCID, Princeton Codora Glen, Rd. 108, Sutter Mutual, are. They have been providing the water for what is our current duck hunting regime. The priority of their water rights will protect more hunting for more hunters than any other regulatory scheme.

The Oroville districts are also at risk because if the Fed ignores its contracts, the state will follow. So please read the Sac Bee front page, yeah front page this is historic, article. As the rice water goes in our valley, so goes the hunting.
Butta boom
hunter

Re: Recent articles in the Sac Bee on water

Postby Traditional » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:44 am

I hunt duck a club in Colusa County and the club is still requesting deposits to hold the blind for next year. But with everything I'm reading and hearing is there will be no water for duck clubs next year? If that is the case, why are clubs still accepting deposits?
Traditional
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:56 am

Traditional wrote:I hunt duck a club in Colusa County and the club is still requesting deposits to hold the blind for next year. But with everything I'm reading and hearing is there will be no water for duck clubs next year? If that is the case, why are clubs still accepting deposits?

Because you are saving your goose pit.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Traditional » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm not paying $2000.00 for hole in a dry goose pit? That was my next question: Do you think the farmers and clubs will reduce their fees for goose pits? It seems like that would be a smart move to get "some" money for their blinds, then none. It would also help the communities with hunters buying gas, hotel rooms, food, etc, etc.
Traditional
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:22 pm

On the flip side of the coin, it could be a good opportunity for a new guy to get into a good blind on a club. Instead of getting "that one blind" that many clubs have, (you know, the one that shoots crappy and has a new guy in it every season), if members drop out it opens up some opportunities. Yeah, you may be screwed this year, but next year you may be set up real nice. That being said, if we don't get water, I'm out.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Traditional » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:51 pm

The real question is this a one year drought or a multi year drought?
Traditional
hunter

Postby hntndux » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

Man I wouldn't give anyone a deposit in this mess, unless they are willing to return it?? There are usually 2-3 people in line( owner, rancher, duck club guy), whose the money going to? I have a buddy that has been in a field for 8 years? near sac metro, never got flooded this year, oh and his money is being held for next year?? come on, that's BS. Unless your willing/able to afford losing it, be careful.
hntndux
hunter

Postby Traditional » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:23 am

hntndux wrote:Man I wouldn't give anyone a deposit in this mess, unless they are willing to return it?? There are usually 2-3 people in line( owner, rancher, duck club guy), whose the money going to? I have a buddy that has been in a field for 8 years? near sac metro, never got flooded this year, oh and his money is being held for next year?? come on, that's BS. Unless your willing/able to afford losing it, be careful.

The Club Manager says he will return the deposits this spring once he knows positively we are not getting water. He is hoping for some big spring rains. I thought it was a little weird when I heard no other clubs were accepting deposits? He has a reputation of a man with high ethics and honesty.
Traditional
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 am

Traditional wrote:
hntndux wrote:Man I wouldn't give anyone a deposit in this mess, unless they are willing to return it?? There are usually 2-3 people in line( owner, rancher, duck club guy), whose the money going to? I have a buddy that has been in a field for 8 years? near sac metro, never got flooded this year, oh and his money is being held for next year?? come on, that's BS. Unless your willing/able to afford losing it, be careful.

The Club Manager says he will return the deposits this spring once he knows positively we are not getting water. He is hoping for some big spring rains. I thought it was a little weird when I heard no other clubs were accepting deposits? He has a reputation of a man with high ethics and honesty.

No other duck clubs taking deposits? I would check your facts on that. They are begging for them right now.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
Traditional wrote:

No other duck clubs taking deposits? I would check your facts on that. They are begging for them right now.

He's not wrong. Some are not taking deposits until they know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby Traditional » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 am

The reason I asked the question was the week before the season closed I was in Williams eating and spoke with several guys that said their clubs were not accepting deposits? I heard the same thing through friends since. I'm sure there are some clubs that are accepting deposits, even though they know they are not getting water this year?
Traditional
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:40 pm

HOWDY MEN.......LETS TALK ABOUT DEPOSITS,FOR RICE FIELD DUCK CLUBS ,FOR THIS YEAR.....

ON OUR CLUBS,[ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE RIVER,IN STATE WATER DISTS.>OROVILLE WATER]EACH BLIND HAS A DEPOSIT DUE ON THIER BLINDS,THE DAY AFTER THE SEASON CLOSES,IF YOU HAVENT PAID BY THE 15TH OF FEB. YOUR BLIND IS SOLD TO SOMEONE ON THE WAITINGLIST........YOUR DEPOSIT DEPENTS ON WITCH FIELD YOUR HUNTING>>>A1>600$ DEPOSIT,THEN HALF DUE APRIL
1ST>3000$,2ND HALF DUE SEPT.1ST>3000$=6600$....A2>600+3250+3250=7100..B FIELDS..>1000$ DOWN+3000+3000$=7000$....
MY BLIND WITCH IS IN THE BEST LOCATION AND THE MOST ACRAGE IS 6000$ DUE FEB. 15 & 6000$ DUE SEPT. 1ST.........

THERES ONLY BEEN ONE BLIND REFILLED IN THE PAST THREE YEARS........

NOW JUST THE FACTS,ALL THESE FIELDS ARE FARMED BY TWO DIFFERANT FARMERS,WHO BETWEEN THEM HAVE 5 WELLS THAT WILL ALLOW THEM TO GROW RICE EVEN IF NO WATER FROM THE WATER DISTS. IS AVAILABLE,THEN HAVE BOTH AGREED WITH TWO OTHER BIG FARMERS,THAT ARE OUR NIEBORS TO THE WEST & EAST TO HAVE BOTH RICE AND DUCK WATER.......

HERES THE ONLY CATCH>>>>> IF THOSE PUMPS HAVE TO RUN,TO PUMP DUCK WATER,ITS GOING TO BE A EXTRA CHARGE OF 6 DOLLARS A ACRE FOOT,PAID BY EACH BLIND,PER ACRES FLOODED.....[THAT MEANS>100 ACRES X 6.00$=600$ AND SO ON PER ACRES FLOODED]...........THIS WAS ALL TOLD UP FRONT BY THE FARMERS ,TO ALL THE MEMBERS,VIA PHONE CALL,TO EACH OF THE BLIND CAPTAINS......THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE,CAUSE NO ONE LIKES SUPRISES,WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR DUCK BLIND.

NOW MY TWO CENTS WORTH......I WAS AT A FUND RAISER IN MAXWELL THIS LAST SATURDAY [WITH LOTS OF THOSE RICH REP.RICE FARMERS,THAT DRIVE AROUND IN NEW TRUCKS,AND HANG OUT AT THE MAXWELL INN]FOR THE MAXWELL LITTLE LEAGUE,AND MOST OF THESE GUYS ARE HOPING FOR LOTS OF RAIN,OTHERWISE THERES GOING TO BE LOTS OF NON FARMED FIELDS.......SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A DUCK BLIND,THAT IS WEST OF THE SAC. RIVER,OR SOUTH OF THE SUTTER BUTTES,THATS ALL FED. WATER AND ITS NOT LOOKING GOOD THIS YEAR SO BE CAREFULL ,DO YOUR HOMEWORK.........

.......................AS ALLWAYS ........YOUR FRIEND..............DUCKSUY................................
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Can someone interpret that last post for me in English?
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:59 pm

I think it means "I can't find my caps unlock key".

:lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby 34 grains of Herco » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:10 pm

means "I've got mine...the rest of y'all cover your ass"...spoken in a very loud voice :wink:
34 grains of Herco
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:25 am

Thanks for the update, this is what I heard too from various sources. Hopefully we get lots more rain, Shasta is at 39% to CAP-acity last I saw...I see the well diggers cashing in this year. I sure like the idea of 275 thousand acres of rice instead of 580 thousand! Time will tell. Now it's time for trout, bass and turkey mixed in with a few Hasting Island pheasant hunts for my Flattie.
It took her 2 full years to figure out not to get excited over coots and seagulls. Picked up goose decoys last weekend and the geese are gone but pins and mallards thick as fleas. The flocks looked like swarming blackbirds. Can't wait till next year and maybe hunt the South Bay as they pounded them this year. See more of the same next year..
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 am

Mallards Only wrote:Can someone interpret that last post for me in English?

This is what it's like for me:

http://youtu.be/ss2hULhXf04
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting