Duck Hunting Forum banner

aleutian geese reports ?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  friedcoot 
#1 ·
Wondering if any decent results this season for anyone ?

#2 ·
Statewide refuges reported 69 total Aleutians shot. Up from 38 the prior year.

Mendota had 14 of them and Yolo 8. 13 from Grizzly island. 10 from Twitchel island

Others taken here and there

#4 ·
Got it. You were talking about The North Coast special season.

What might also be interesting as well is how many Specks will be taken starting today, over the next 5 days n the NE zone special hunt

:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Sorry I was not very clear. Typical move. Got a invite for the white necklaces but kinda reluctant to blow the whole weekend if the reports are slow. Of course location is key and if an area has been pounded, chances are the geese found another spot. I'm sure guys will do very well with the specks.

#8 ·
I still have a lot of friends and family in Humboldt County and I haven't heard much good. A couple friends went out a got six or seven between three of them a few days ago and another did manage to get a collared Aleutian out of a jump shoot, but even then, if it weren't for the collar it would have still been an average day at best. I'm sure there's people doing well, but all of my people have been pretty disappointed, a lot have just sat the season out this year. Maybe this rain will have greened up the grass which could improve hunting, but if it were me I would probably pass.

#10 ·
I skipped it this year because the numbers were low and I was on to other things but the reports I've gotten have not been good. Two friends went out to our club yesterday and scratched just four birds. The club hadn't been hunted since duck season closed.
The migration seems late or else they bypassed us. Aleutians just plain annoy me, they fly around my house all spring and won't go to the fields I can hunt.

#11 ·
Thanks to those who shared. It was pretty much a waste of time (like most my trips this year) for harvesting some feathered fowl.
The dairy I shot had been hunted a few days before (well actually pounded by a group of 10). Saw some big flights a few fields over but could not get permission. (Some hobby farmers actually don't mind the geese...) Took 4 shots for 3 hunts with 1 goose. Did see a bunch of mallards paired up and plenty of Wilson snipe.
On another note, (I did note ask the farmer who's property I shot) but how do you suppose one becomes accustom to the ripe smell of a dairy farm ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.