Rice farmers flooding up

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Rice farmers flooding up

Postby fishin444 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Went to train north of Marysville with a friend today. Got on the 99 North from Sac. and looks like most of the rice is being flooded or soon to be on both sides of the road all the way to Marysville. Saw a couple of spray planes down around the Elverta exit. Not sure but thought I read that there would be no irrigation water this year. With all those fields getting ready or already flooded it would seem some one has water.
fishin444
hunter

Re: Rice farmers flooding up

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:35 pm

fishin444 wrote:Went to train north of Marysville with a friend today. Got on the 99 North from Sac. and looks like most of the rice is being flooded or soon to be on both sides of the road all the way to Marysville. Saw a couple of spray planes down around the Elverta exit. Not sure but thought I read that there would be no irrigation water this year. With all those fields getting ready or already flooded it would seem some one has water.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday driving to Tahoe. We were on woodruff and everything was flooded with lots more tractors preparing fields. Tons of mallards buzzing around to.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun May 11, 2014 7:44 am

Maybe you fellas seen 50% of what it should be ? Deep well pumping does have its effects later on as , the summer goes on .
With our Gov, dragging its feet and not monitoring how much is being pumped.......we could be in for the worst , yet ?
With not much surface water to go around it appears some will have enough to plant and maintain a crop but , once it's
harvested......NO More Water .
There is a fear , by August , that there won't be enough water to flush toilets in the surrounding areas of rice fields :huh:

But , Rocky Mountain Water in a can will still be available at the store ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 10:18 am

3200 man wrote: .......But , Rocky Mountain Water in a can will still be available at the store ! :yes:

I think I'd rather drink the toilet water. At least it would have some sort of flavor to it. :tongue:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun May 11, 2014 8:30 pm

I know what you're saying Clamp but , Rice farmers are fans of C--Rs as it's good business , you know ?

When there's no toilet water , well-------------I won't get into that ! :yes: :lol3: :crying:
3200 man
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sun May 11, 2014 9:25 pm

your wrong 3200, rice farmers need to drink budweiser as it's brewed with rice (30% ), not barley. Several Anheiser brands use rice as their fermenting base. Pretty sure coors only uses barley.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Sun May 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Most of the water districts in Butte County I think got around 85% of their water or more. West side of the valley over by willows I heard were between 5% and 50% depending on what water district you are in.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun May 11, 2014 10:19 pm

You know Coot , you could be right ! i don't drink ether of them as I prefer Miller Draft in a bottle....... :yes:

And all Beers take a back seat when JD shows-up.......... :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 pm

friedcoot wrote:your wrong 3200, rice farmers need to drink budweiser as it's brewed with rice (30% ), not barley.......

Rice and barley actually, as per the "This is the famous Budweiser beer" slogan printed on very can and bottle. :thumbsup: Miller Fortune has been my first choice in beers lately.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon May 12, 2014 6:44 am

Eric

So what is it ? 85 % water for 50 % of the ground they normally plant or 40% water for all their fields :huh: ?

With some only getting 5 % surface water and pumping 95 % , it won't take long for this to be a really dry summer ,

that we may never recover from ! Lets hope and pray , common sense conservation over-comes profits in farming

and the Powers That Be , regulate with Science and not Campaign Donations !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Mon May 12, 2014 8:37 am

Having water now is a lot different than having water during the season. I'm hoping the El Nino dudes are right and we have a long, wet winter. If we don't we'll be in dust bowl conditions throughout the state.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Mon May 12, 2014 10:21 pm

For the districts that are giving farmers 85% of their allotments, there is a reduced acreage planted obviously, but they generally planted more acres than they were forecasting earlier. The issue is also convoluted because a lot of the guys ended up selling their water this year, along with a fair number of farmers with pumps that are not relying on the water district allotments. As Gene said, you think it's bad now, wait until next year if we have a repeat of this past winter. The west side of the valley is all over the map as I said some are getting up to 50% and some are getting 5%. So their acreage estimates are more of a rough number.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon May 12, 2014 10:39 pm

You know Larry, I'm not expert but I'd bet that there is a huge abundance of ground water sitting beneath all of that rice land. Years worth of flood irrigation should have those aquifers pretty well stocked. Now, pumping it and then letting it run off to the delta would be a waste but if it were allowed to filter back down, I don't think there'd be any problem with that.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 13, 2014 7:14 am

From what I understand , our aquifers are replenished at a higher elevation with run-off ? Polluting our waterways with
drained rice field decaying water , doesn't help the conservation of clean water down stream for others . Now , for what your
saying about the rice water staying in the field until it's absorbed by the earth , I like that but , the stink would tell us where
it's coming from along with the farmers not being able to get in their fields early enough for spring planting ( kind of like a
really wet winter ) . With no decomp water this year , it looks to be a good year for rice straw as our air is protected ( I think )
with no burning and with the dry hot summer that's predicted , the ground will be getting hard fast so , we'll see how this plays
out ?

Now if they use the rice water to drain into their fallow fields for future use......that would seem helpful ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue May 13, 2014 12:15 pm

3200 says and I quote, " with no decomp water this year"....
Where do you get your information? This blanket statement isn't true and further shows your lack of water issue knowledge.
We ARE getting decomp water from our district as well many others are too. I'm not talking pumping here. Please let us all know where you get this info...
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 13, 2014 1:49 pm

duckdoa

Wake-up and see what's happening around you , if you haven't heard , there have been thousands and thousands of Almond
trees planted in the valley . This has put more ground in production that was only Dry Farmed just a few years ago , with this ,
more water than ever is needed , and with this drought we are at our lowest level of surface water in many many years !
Do you or anyone else think , the powers that be , care about decomp water at this stage ? You better get down on your knees
( like us )and pray because , there are a lot of issues to be addressed before wasting water on rice stubble .

Let's hope you are right .....and.....I am wrong ? .........It sure doesn't look that way , so far !

With water selling for over $500 a acre/foot , some districts need to be better managed , I guess ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue May 13, 2014 2:37 pm

3200.. Once again you have failed to answer the simple question I asked sincerely of you. I am an information slut and only wish to find out credible source facts. This isn't surprising since so many others have also asked you where you come up with your facts and you have failed miserably at being a stand up person answering with fact or proving your point in any shape, form or fashion. Yak yak yak is all I hear. Wake up and smell the coffee burning PLEASE.
I can tell you exactly when our water district met ( 4 weeks ago Monday) how much allotment we get for our rice, 95% and the same for decomp. I know who is on the board and have done my homework so I'm going back to sleep...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Like I said , I hope you're right and I'm wrong !

We'll just have to wait and see , What Mother Nature has in her plans......at this point and time water is starting to
be , very scares and the big fish eat the little fish in farming .

Public Free information is available on what surface water is available in storage , don't kid yourself , there's not enough
to go around when Summer Temps hit 100 plus and our fall season doesn't start until December or later !

Let's wait and see or regulate pumping now , is the question ? :huh:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Tue May 13, 2014 8:42 pm

The water that is nourishing rice around the valley may not translate to gun clubs or habitat this year. It depends on the on the districts source of water. The Yuba, 100% supply and lots of duck water. The Natomas area, 75% supply but maybe no duck water.

Go figure, a lot has yet to be determined because Moonbeam has stuck his nose in it.

He will build his tunnels, construct a major railroad in the state without conscripted Chinese labor. And he will screw up our water supply in the Sac. Valley forever. What a legacy.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 am

Butta boom

That's the way I see it also ! With Big Fish ( Paramount Farms ) filling the Dems pockets with campaign donations
our (surface/pump) water will go south , we'll have to wait and see ? With all the NEW trees being planted and the
price of Almonds at a all-time high , other crops will take a back-seat for the almighty dollar and Wildlife will suffer
in this state . We are in for a Big Agriculture commodity change with the water issues we're facing , like it or not !

And , all we can do is Vote , for more sandbagging , on the take , politicians ? I guess so ?

While our Golden State turns to Dust ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby 7mllrds » Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 am

How will we raise all those salmon without the decomp water? :huh:
7mllrds
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Wed May 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Paramount Farms sits a top it's own "little" aquifer which holds nearly 2 million acre ft. and possibly more.
If I were in "the business", I'd try to find and secure me a postage sized piece of land anywhere near their big spread. It'd only have to be big enough to accommodate something like an Ideco 3000 sling-shot swing-up rig. I'd then slant-drill the bitch and drink Paramounts milkshake.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby Nabs » Wed May 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Their is so much water stolen that should go out the delta and feed our ocean that the food chain that sustains the habitat has been damaged (maybe beyond repair). The nutrients that stolen water carries has taken the bottom of the food chain awayfrom the ecosystem, can we expect anything less than catastrophic declines in the pacific ocean?
Nabs
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Wed May 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Where is water to be had? One of the worlds largest aquifers is right here in California. We just have to tap into it. There might be a few naysayers though. What's another pipeline? Any guesses?
duckdoa
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed May 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Nabs wrote:Their is so much water stolen that should go out the delta and feed our ocean that the food chain that sustains the habitat has been damaged (maybe beyond repair). The nutrients that stolen water carries has taken the bottom of the food chain awayfrom the ecosystem, can we expect anything less than catastrophic declines in the pacific ocean?

But once upon a time, before year round controlled water releases from man made dams, there were parts of the year when streams and rivers dried up and left little to no water flowing out of the delta and salt water backflowed inland. To allow that now would be deemed catastrophic, but affecting a different ecosystem. Point is, no matter what we do, someone is going to say that we're :censored: ing up.
clampdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting