Rice farmers flooding up

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: Rice farmers flooding up

Postby Nabs » Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Nabs wrote:Their is so much water stolen that should go out the delta and feed our ocean that the food chain that sustains the habitat has been damaged (maybe beyond repair). The nutrients that stolen water carries has taken the bottom of the food chain awayfrom the ecosystem, can we expect anything less than catastrophic declines in the pacific ocean?

But once upon a time, before year round controlled water releases from man made dams, there were parts of the year when streams and rivers dried up and left little to no water flowing out of the delta and salt water backflowed inland. To allow that now would be deemed catastrophic, but affecting a different ecosystem. Point is, no matter what we do, someone is going to say that we're :censored: ing up.

And once upon a time the flood waters raged and flushed the delta and pushed the saltwater out carrying with it huge quantities of nutrients that fed plankton and built the foundation for the green belt that formed outside the bay. The only reason the backflow is now so devastating is the fact the delta has not had a flush in decades, 1986 IIRC.
Nabs
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Thu May 15, 2014 7:24 am

The older I get, the better I was. Stop living the past. Restoration is just a way of spending tax dollars, getting tax write offs, making jobs for unemployed college grads and justifying closures as well as government rules. Sure ,there are exceptions but I have yet to see a "project" that was nothing more than a mitigated deal or "feel good" landscape modification.
Last edited by friedcoot on Thu May 15, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 15, 2014 7:56 am

Nabs

About 25 years ago I talked with a Oldtimer in French camp , he said he was 94 years old and lived in the area all his life .
He told me , as a young boy he hunted Muskrats in the marsh around town , which is today Stockton Airport . I keep thinking
what is better for mankind and our environment , that we pass along for the future generations to come ? With this being
called the Golden State of prosperity or the state that made China the World Leader ? Bullet trains for jobs , Tunnels for Jobs
when Reservoirs , Lakes and river maintenance is needed more in this State , than ever before ? :huh:

i'm Lost for Words.....But , I can think of a few names , for the powers that make these decisions ! :mad:
3200 man
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:28 am

Nabs wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Nabs wrote:Their is so much water stolen that should go out the delta and feed our ocean that the food chain that sustains the habitat has been damaged (maybe beyond repair). The nutrients that stolen water carries has taken the bottom of the food chain awayfrom the ecosystem, can we expect anything less than catastrophic declines in the pacific ocean?

But once upon a time, before year round controlled water releases from man made dams, there were parts of the year when streams and rivers dried up and left little to no water flowing out of the delta and salt water backflowed inland. To allow that now would be deemed catastrophic, but affecting a different ecosystem. Point is, no matter what we do, someone is going to say that we're :censored: ing up.

And once upon a time the flood waters raged and flushed the delta and pushed the saltwater out carrying with it huge quantities of nutrients that fed plankton and built the foundation for the green belt that formed outside the bay. The only reason the backflow is now so devastating is the fact the delta has not had a flush in decades, 1986 IIRC.

I imagine it got an even better flush around1996-7 (?) When el nino kicked our butts and had every river running wild. Simply put, allow rivers to dry up and just watch how many environmentalists freak out. Different sects have different goals. You worry about the pacific, others worry about native fresh water fish, some worry about the current critter of the day. There is no way we can run this state by letting water freely flow as it wishes.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 15, 2014 2:40 pm

XX :thumbsup:

But , Trains and Tunnels......... :huh:
3200 man
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting