New Pup: Training Recommendations for CA

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun May 18, 2014 9:00 am

Hey Guys/Gals,

So I have been lucky enough to receive my buddies pick of litter as a gift. The pup will be available for early September pick up. I have trained dogs in the past and will train this pup until it is about 6 months old on basic obedience(sit,place,heel,etc.), retrieves, water introduction/swimming, and anything else she will be willing to try. I would like to take her to a puppy training/head start program and then a gun dog training as well.

My questions are:

1) Is it worth it?
2) What are your recommended trainers in CA?
3) Do you have previous experience with this trainer before? Have any video of your pup performing before and after?

Thank you for your help!

-RR4L
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Re: New Pup: Training Recommendations for CA

Postby California Sprig » Sun May 18, 2014 1:31 pm

I see you are a CWA member. You should therefore be familiar with Jan Burkholder of Stonewall Retrievers as she writes articles in each issue of CWA magazine. She is also an ardent CWA supporter. You should look into her training your dog. I got my current dog Sprig from her , she was both the breeder and the trainer of Sprig. He is the best retriever I have ever had and the best trained retriever I ever had. He went through her obedience , upland hunting and waterfowl hunting program. When I picked him up from he was instant hunting dog. He is a great waterfowl dog and an awesome pheasant dog. He is 6 now ,spoiled but still retains his training. I don't have any videos but if you have access to old CWA magazines from about 5 years ago he was featured in 5 or 6 training articles with pictures.
Professional training is worth every penny. I have had dogs that I have trained and they have been very good hunting dogs but the 2 I had trained by pro's were superior. My prior lab was trained by Dustin Retrievers. I am not sure if they are still in business as the owner Shawn Dustin moved to Montana, he is a great trainer though.
I work long hours and really don't have the time to train so for me a pro is the only way to go.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun May 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Cali Sprig,

Thanks for the post! I will look into her and I have seen her articles. Much appreciated my friend.

I'll keep you in the loop with her training and how she does!

Cheers

-RR4L
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Mark L » Sun May 18, 2014 10:13 pm

RR4L,

Congrats on the new pup.

You ask some great questions, but here are a few to get you thinking about what is best for you.

What are your goals with your dog. Hunting dog, hunt tests, field trials, all of it?
How much time do you have to work with the dog outside of time with the trainer?
Do get the joy of having a great dog or being able to be the guy who trained your dog?
Have you thought about doing the training yourself and working with a pro to keep you on track?
And if course the all important... How much do you want to spend?

Again those are just some things to think about. For me it is more about me training and working the dogs instead of having a pro train them. I'm sure they both would be way further then they are with my limited training abilities, if they went to a pro but I can honestly say I have gotten WAY more compliments then complaints when hunting.

Whatever you do, just remember to enjoy the ride because they bring so much joy to the hunt.

Mark
Mark L
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue May 20, 2014 9:10 am

Hey Mark,

Thank you for your response and congratulating me on the pup! I am certainly one happy guy right now(other than dealing with the terrible twos this morning from my little boy :lol3: ) and I look forward to having a hunting companion as well as the new addition to the family. I am a full time business man but will have mornings, lunches, and after work to tend to the dogs exercise and training. It is not as much as I would like to have, but it is what it is. For this reason, I feel it would be best to get the dog over to a trainer for the first 8 weeks to be place and crate trained as well as working on other basic obedience. I do not expect the dog to ever be perfect. The imperfection is what will make this a wonderfully memorable experience. As far as the joy from training vs. having a great dog goes, I can always improve upon what the trainer has started(hand signals, double retrieves, etc) and get pure joy from it. Since I did get the dog as a gift I can budget anywhere from 1500-3000 for the training.

All in all, I am confident that I can train the pup but would like for myself and my wife to be on the same page with consistent use of commands and rewards/reinforcements. I think the trainer would be an integral part of helping my wife understand as she would most likely rather listen to anyone but ME. lol

Again, Mark, thank you for getting me to think about these things. I have slightly prior to this conversation but I had not thought about it enough to jot down what I really feel.

I will keep you in the loop on what I end up doing with Remmy and how she progresses.

Thanks!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:37 am

We'll lets see the monster. Both of our pups are getting ready to go off in a few weeks.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue May 20, 2014 8:09 pm

I pick her up the last week in august. Did you ever pick up that book I suggested Sgt?
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:43 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:I pick her up the last week in august. Did you ever pick up that book I suggested Sgt?

Water dog, game dog and bird dog. They are a great read.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue May 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Nice! I have Water Dog and The Wildrose Way Book. Tons of great info in both. How are your pups doing?
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Wed May 21, 2014 7:53 am

What kind of money do the trainers cost?

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed May 21, 2014 8:10 am

My Duck dog spent 10 months with a professional trainer as I picked her up 2 weeks before Dove season , even though
I was with her 2 days a week while she was being trained . This gave me the opportunity to understand my trainers method
of handling my dog in the field , along with the knowledge of continuing her training once she was home to stay !
I did read Lardy's , Grahams and Wildrose's method of training to have a balance in my continued training and I can offer
this advise .

Good duck Dogs are priceless but , love to work hard everyday , even after the season has closed so , to keep your dog
in shape and doing what he/she has been trained for , takes time everyday ! Be committed and you will be rewarded
by your dogs performance this season , AS I Have !

Good Hunting
3200 man
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed May 21, 2014 8:17 am

Bill I have seen them range from 450 a month up to 900 a month. They all recommend 3-6 months for a full gun dog training program. I most likely will not do a full program but rather a puppy head-start program. The one I am most interested in is at Top Dog Retrievers. They run it from 8 to 16 weeks old and get them clicking on all cylinders for basic obedience, potty training, crate and bed training. This is 600 a month.
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed May 21, 2014 8:20 am

3200 man wrote:My Duck dog spent 10 months with a professional trainer

Hey 3200,

How old was your dog when it arrived with the trainer?

Thanks
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:54 am

RefugeRat4Life wrote:Nice! I have Water Dog and The Wildrose Way Book. Tons of great info in both. How are your pups doing?

They are great. My dad's is a smart bastard. I can tell him to kennel and he will hold until I release him. He has hand signs somewhat down. I am working on multiple retrieves right now. He is doing awesome. I wish I could post a video. He will even fetch my news paper for me. Oh yeah he is only 5+ mo old.
Last edited by Sgtstadanko707 on Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed May 21, 2014 2:20 pm

RefugeRat

I purchased my pup with the help of my trainer in choosing , with him buying the whole litter . The agreement was , in
3 months , I could change my mind , ether one of the others or none at all , depending on the pups progress .
Once I decided ( which I did on a BLK female ) he continued training her for another 7 1/2 months .
She is as close to a Finished Duck Dog as I need , with a great nose , marking abilities , powerful fast swimmer , double
retrieves , whistle and hand-signal trained . It was a long process from start to finish as I also had to be schooled on how
to manage her , as with all my other Duch Dogs , I trained them myself . I had some very good dogs over the years but ,
I can tell you this , to bad some of them weren't trained by a professional trainer ! It is a JOY to a Waterfowler to have
a trained dog , that is like operating a remote controlled Car and she loves working as a team , with me !

With my tight-ass as far as spending money , It was money well spent , for me !

Good Luck with your Pup , ask questions and be patient , learn along with your Pup.....it pays dividends :grooving:

Talk to Jeff Torrey at Buckshot Kennels , he's close by you !
3200 man
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed May 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks 3200! Couldnt have sold me any better. I will reach out to Buckshot. Cheers brother
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed May 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
RefugeRat4Life wrote:Nice! I have Water Dog and The Wildrose Way Book. Tons of great info in both. How are your pups doing?

They are great. My dad's is a smart bastard. I can tell him to kennel and he will hold until I release him. He has hand signs somewhat down. I am working on multiple retrieves right now. He is doing awesome. I wish I could post a video. He will even fetch my news paper for me. Oh yeah he is only 5+ mo old.

Man that is great! at 5 mo that is really promising. How about your dog though?? :wink:
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:11 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

Man that is great! at 5 mo that is really promising. How about your dog though?? :wink:

It's mine and my dads. His dog passé last year so I paid for him
And he gets to keep him most of the year. I will have him all hunting season. I have 3 dogs already couldn't do 4 full time. My inlaw has the female from the same litter. She is loopy but smart. She is going to school in Reno somewhere. My inlaw has had 3 other labs from there with great results. I will ask him what it's called.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby retired » Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 am

I would take your dog to Jarod Rocha in Turlock. Great guy. I got my Y.M. from him and the dog is in his last couple months of training now. Jarod really loves dogs and does a great job of training them. If you want his ph # send me a PM and I will give you his number. You can also ask 3200 on this website he has one of Jarod dogs also. You will not be disappointed.
retired
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Thu May 22, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks, Retired. That name sounds really familiar.

Cheers
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Look in the CWA magazine Jared Rocha's Retrievers , You won't be disappointed ! :thumbsup:

With you being a refuge RAT , He knows what you want / need in a Dog !

He's just outside of Modesto
3200 man
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Easton the dark male and Avery the lighter female.
Attachments
image.jpg
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Mon May 26, 2014 10:21 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:Easton the dark male and Avery the lighter female.

Nice!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Mark L » Mon May 26, 2014 10:05 pm

RRFL,

Sounds like you have done a good job thinking about everything.

I was just asking about your time availability because it's important to be able to training regularly to keep the dog in shape and sharp. I know with mine I only get out a few times a week, but early on it was every day. All a lot of dogs need is about 15 minutes a day as long as it is consistent. Longer sessions a few times a week help. Just be careful if you get involved it hunt tests. They are addictive and $$$. Field trials are even worse I hear.

I would have to second, or third, Jared Rocha. I've worked with him a few times and he is a good guy with a lot of knowledge.

Mark
Mark L
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue May 27, 2014 9:57 am

Good post Mark !

I can also understand why a fella would want to train his/her dog themselves but , if you're inexperienced at knowing
how , reading training book does help , if you understand the techniques ? I had trouble reading my New pup , this is what
a good trainer does , helps you understand , when and Where this is to be enforced . Unless you have a training table and
all the gear ( lead-ropes large and small ,bumpers soft and hard , stands ,boats ,birds big and small and the TIME ?

It's money well spent........IF.......you keep them in shape ? I love it ( her ) :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting