New Pup: Training Recommendations for CA

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: New Pup: Training Recommendations for CA

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed May 28, 2014 12:04 am

Mark L wrote:RRFL,

Sounds like you have done a good job thinking about everything.

I was just asking about your time availability because it's important to be able to training regularly to keep the dog in shape and sharp. I know with mine I only get out a few times a week, but early on it was every day. All a lot of dogs need is about 15 minutes a day as long as it is consistent. Longer sessions a few times a week help. Just be careful if you get involved it hunt tests. They are addictive and $$$. Field trials are even worse I hear.

I would have to second, or third, Jared Rocha. I've worked with him a few times and he is a good guy with a lot of knowledge.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I can work with the dog more than 30 a day. I would start out with 5-10 per day for a couple of weeks and slowly progress to 10-15. The rest of the time will be general exercise and socializing. Other than that she will be kennel/crate trained until she is free from accidents. I sent Jared an email already and will be setting up a time to go out and meet him.

Thanks!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 am

So I get to finally go and make my pick next weekend and then will be taking my little lady home a week after that. So stoked!

Wish me luck on picking the very best :)
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:08 am

I am working with Jared Rocha now, I'm doing the one on one with him and may send my dog out in Oct, he is very helpful and will teach not only the dog but you also on what and how to train your dog. I did the one on one classes because I really wanted to say I trained my dog and seeing your pup put everything together and acually do what u have been working on is very rewarding. Good lucky!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am

RefugeRat4Life wrote:So I get to finally go and make my pick next weekend and then will be taking my little lady home a week after that. So stoked!

We are getting our female back the weekend of dove opener. Can't wait. Been driving to Reno every weeknd to work with the trainer and my dad. Can't belive it's almost been 3 mo now.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:22 pm

lt1chevelle wrote:I am working with Jared Rocha now, I'm doing the one on one with him and may send my dog out in Oct, he is very helpful and will teach not only the dog but you also on what and how to train your dog. I did the one on one classes because I really wanted to say I trained my dog and seeing your pup put everything together and acually do what u have been working on is very rewarding. Good lucky!

Awesome, I sent Jared an email. She wont be ready for him until next spring.

Let me know how your training goes!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
RefugeRat4Life wrote:So I get to finally go and make my pick next weekend and then will be taking my little lady home a week after that. So stoked!

We are getting our female back the weekend of dove opener. Can't wait. Been driving to Reno every weeknd to work with the trainer and my dad. Can't belive it's almost been 3 mo now.

How is she doing?!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:40 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

How is she doing?!

Awesome. I wish I could upload videos.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:52 pm

YouTube bud

lt1chevelle
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:20 pm

youtube! :)
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:27 pm

I have tried. I won't let me upload them. It says it takes like 5+ hrs to upload a few min clip.
I will try with my phone next time it might fit. I used my gropro to record while
We are out there.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Damn well maybe when I get out to hunt those geese in the field with ya I can see her work first hand.

:thumbsup:
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Here she is! My little Tessa.

She was definitely the best girl in the litter for drive, interest in what I was doing vs. being distracted by blades of grass, wasn't whining like the rest of the dogs, but when she saw the wing I had in front of her on a string she would go WILD and not let go of it. She would also track it with her nose(not far by any means but within a foot). Very pleased with her demeanor and she is one cute lil' girl.

JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Picking up the female from school on Sunday. It will be awesome to have both pups
Out for dove opener.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Awesome!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:54 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:Here she is! My little Tessa.

She was definitely the best girl in the litter for drive, interest in what I was doing vs. being distracted by blades of grass, wasn't whining like the rest of the dogs, but when she saw the wing I had in front of her on a string she would go WILD and not let go of it. She would also track it with her nose(not far by any means but within a foot). Very pleased with her demeanor and she is one cute lil' girl.

You got some pretty feet. Do you paint this camo during season
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:35 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:Here she is! My little Tessa.

Beautiful pup my friend. Enjoy them because when they are at the trainers you miss them like crazy. Especially today being national dog day. Happy you got her
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting