Dove season!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Dove season!

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:53 am

Well dove season is right around the corner. Im starting to see more and more doves. Last week I was seeing large groups (maybe flocks of 30) as if they were just getting here. Now this week I dont see to many large groups but seeing lots of doves. They must have broke up and went there seperate ways. Im seeing lots of euros out on the west side like mendota and surronding areas. Not to many in madera though. I wonder why? Anyone else seeing more doves?
mendotakiller
hunter

Re: Dove season!

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:45 am

Yep , this could be a banner year for Doves !
With the drier year Doves are everywhere , large groups trading back and forth from feed to water / resting areas .
We might not have many Ducks to hunt but Dove's will be in abundance ( If the El Nino's 53 % ) shows up later than hoped for .
Or finding a little water to hunt over ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:34 am

Yea lets hope it doesent rain the week before the season...bye bye doves. usually I hunt on a ditch bank that has water and its usually lights out mid morning when the come lookin for water. But idk how its gunna be this year!
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

There was a year in the 80's when the limit was set @ 12 birds. Can't remember the year but it may of been a drought year.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 am

To bad they dont set the limit to 20....lol
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby berdnird » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I've got them almost year round where I live. I'll be shooting them in my back yard with the pellet gun come season time.
berdnird
hunter

Postby pbd » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:27 pm

mendotakiller wrote:To bad they dont set the limit to 20....lol

Rumor has it that Az raised their limit to 15
pbd
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:28 pm

Is there a limit and season on the Euros? We have neither here, but they are in all my trees, and almost tame compared to the Morning doves.
Mornings are traditional for me, and I feel like I'd be hunting friends if I went after Euros.
We generally have a goodly supply of the Mornings opening day, but if a cool rain comes 75%-80% drop in numbers instantly.
Always seems to happen by the middle of the first week of Sept.

If I only get one good hunt for doves a year, on opening day, it has served it's purpose for me.
That opening day hunt with all the old group is a celebration in itself.
Afterward, we meet at one of the group's home over toddies (usually Duckfarts), commend shots made, laugh at shots missed, (While questioning the manhood of the one who missed the most, or easiest) and lay plans for the more serious business of the coming waterfowl hunts.
Who has access to which fields, who plans to do a water hunt? Anybody seeing Pheasants, Huns, or Sharptails?
Yeah! Dove season signals all the best of the year just ahead!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby berdnird » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Is there a limit and season on the Euros? We have neither here, but they are in all my trees, and almost tame compared to the Morning doves.
Mornings are traditional for me, and I feel like I'd be hunting friends if I went after Euros.
We generally have a goodly supply of the Mornings opening day, but if a cool rain comes 75%-80% drop in numbers instantly.

If I only get one good hunt for doves a year, on opening day, it has served it's purpose for me.
Afterward, we meet at one of the group's home over toddies (usually Duckfarts), commend shots made, laugh at shots missed, (While questioning the manhood of the one who missed the most, or easiest) and lay plans for the more serious business of the coming waterfowl hunts.
Who has access to which fields, who plans to do a water hunt? Anybody seeing Pheasants, Huns, or Sharptails?

Dude, what state do you live in? You've posted about electronic duck calls in another California thread (incorrectly I might add) and mentioned that it only pertains to California.....duh. Then you make a statement about euros "here". Nobody knows where the hell you are talking about even though you're posting in the California forum. Maybe you should start looking up some regs before posting random bs about regulations "here".
berdnird
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:04 pm

berdnird wrote:
Fsbirdhouse wrote:Is there a limit and season on the Euros? We have neither here, but they are in all my trees, and almost tame compared to the Morning doves.

Dude, what state do you live in? You've posted about electronic duck calls in another California thread (incorrectly I might add) and mentioned that it only pertains to California.....duh. Then you make a statement about euros "here". Nobody knows where the hell you are talking about even though you're posting in the California forum. Maybe you should start looking up some regs before posting random bs about regulations "here".

He has mentioned it in many other posts.... he grew up here but currently resides in Idaho
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Can't wait! It should be good seeing lots of birds on the delta island I hunt, thankfully water is not a problem here, all riparian cover and natural flight patterns and they seem to get more abundant in the late season!
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:53 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:
berdnird wrote:

He has mentioned it in many other posts.... he grew up here but currently resides in Idaho

Yes birdnerd,
That's right, 'here' is Idaho.
But, is there a limit or closed season on Eurasion Collarded doves in California..... was the question?
Not necessarily directed at you.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Oh and by the way there is no limit on the euros. There is a season on them except for the imperial valley....which is 24/7 shoot till there all dead. The rest of the zones is the normal split season starting spetember 1st thru the 15th. And I forgot when it starts up again? I think december 1st? Not to sure.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:59 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Oh and by the way there is no limit on the euros. There is a season on them except for the imperial valley....which is 24/7 shoot till there all dead. The rest of the zones is the normal split season starting spetember 1st thru the 15th. And I forgot when it starts up again? I think december 1st? Not to sure.

Usually the second half of upland season coincides with the pheasant opener around second or third week in November.
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:46 am

The CA department has 2 major recommendations for dove changes this year:

1. Increase daily bag limit for mourning and white-winged doves from 10 to 15 in aggregate, of which no more than 10 may be white-winged doves.

2. Open Eurasian collared-dove season statewide all-year.

:thumbsup:

We'll find out for sure August 5th if they are approved
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:52 am

DuckFan wrote:The CA department has 2 major recommendations for dove changes this year:

1. Increase daily bag limit for mourning and white-winged doves from 10 to 15 in aggregate, of which no more than 10 may be white-winged doves.

Euros 365 would be awesome. They are like bees around my house.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
DuckFan wrote:The CA department has 2 major recommendations for dove changes this year:

Agree. I think the jury is still out as to whether the Euros could be pushing out mourning doves. But, regardless, they are popping up all over and need to be 'controlled'. :thumbsup:
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:29 am

I think I've seen a handful of doves at our club in the grasslands in 30 years last time we we there a few weeks ago there were a lot all going to the canal that had 6" of water in it. I think water is the key for doves more than ever this season.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:35 am

Beretta06 wrote:I think I've seen a handful of doves at our club in the grasslands in 30 years last time we we there a few weeks ago there were a lot all going to the canal that had 6" of water in it. I think water is the key for doves more than ever this season.

Dwight

Sounds like a good set up. Good luck!
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 am

I think the ditch will be dry by sept 1st. For the first time since the early 90s no maintnance water for clubs
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 am

DuckFan wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

In my area they are taking over. It's probably 10/1 for the amount of euros that I see compared to mournings.
It would be sweet to sit on the porch having a beer and blasting the flying rats all summer.

Agree. I think the jury is still out as to whether the Euros could be pushing out mourning doves. But, regardless, they are popping up all over and need to be 'controlled'. :thumbsup:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Yes, one might say "Its a Eurasian Invasion". I bagged a few last year. They taste the same...only bigger breast.

http://feederwatch.org/blog/eurasian-co ... g-america/
friedcoot
hunter

Postby killneatstuff » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:42 pm

duckfan-I saw the proposed increase to 15 as well...cant wait to get the kids out!
killneatstuff
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 pm

I wonder if this bird (Euro) isn't somehow filling the void left by the extinction of the 'Passenger Pigeon'?
I cannot remember seeing an animal have such a population explosion in my lifetime.
Too early to tell if it's a bad thing or not?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 pm

killneatstuff wrote:duckfan-I saw the proposed increase to 15 as well...cant wait to get the kids out!

Nice...the increase in limits (if approved) would be great for kids (and adults) :thumbsup:
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting