Dove season!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Re: Dove season!

Postby fish dog » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 pm

DuckFan wrote:
killneatstuff wrote:duckfan-I saw the proposed increase to 15 as well...cant wait to get the kids out!

Nice...the increase in limits (if approved) would be great for kids (and adults) :thumbsup:

..and for the ammo companies too... :wink:
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:14 pm

fish dog wrote:
DuckFan wrote:
killneatstuff wrote:duckfan-I saw the proposed increase to 15 as well...cant wait to get the kids out!

Nice...the increase in limits (if approved) would be great for kids (and adults) :thumbsup:

..and for the ammo companies too... :wink:

Anybody know about good deals on 16 ga dove loads???
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Hey ditchbanker where do you live? I might have some left for ya
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Hey ditchbanker where do you live? I might have some left for ya

berkeley/bay area

but I travel thru the central valley often
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 am

Ok. Ill check tonight to see If I still got em. My dad may have shot em though lol there should be a full case of shells. Ill let you know
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Duckmansmoon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Since most of you all are NoCal where can a SoCal find some dove action? I don't have access to any land and the public lands are slim pickings. Is AZ viable and cost effective?
Duckmansmoon
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Cost effective to go to arizona to shoot doves? No probably not. Just ask around usually its not hard getting permission for doves. head farther north as well...
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 am

How far south? I always thought of southern california as a dove hunters mecca. I've shot the Imperial Valley and it was almost too fast. I've done the same in sections of San Bernardino County. Find a water hole without growth around it and it should be lights out. This should get you started...

http://www.jesseshunting.com/california-dove-hunting-0
friedcoot
hunter

Postby 7mllrds » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 am

mendotakiller wrote:Cost effective to go to arizona to shoot doves? No probably not. Just ask around usually its not hard getting permission for doves. head farther north as well...

Might be more cost-effective after we have to start paying $20/box for steel dove loads in the coming year.
7mllrds
hunter

Postby fish dog » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 am

7mllrds wrote:
mendotakiller wrote:Cost effective to go to arizona to shoot doves? No probably not. Just ask around usually its not hard getting permission for doves. head farther north as well...

Might be more cost-effective after we have to start paying $20/box for steel dove loads in the coming year.

How about $8 a box?

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/winc ... l?___SID=U
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby 7mllrds » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Saw that too. Hope it stays that low.
7mllrds
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 am

I picked up 4 cases of the #6 steel 1-1/8 ounce 1375 FPS Federal speed shok 2-3/4" 12 gauge @ a pretty good price a bit back from Rogers.

The #7 from winchester is pretty slow and a #7 in steel is going to hit like a #9 in lead. It might not cycle thru some of the beefier auto loaders out there. A good price though if your ok with less energy.

The larger shot can also do double duty on quail and the larger 2nd half doves. I think it was around $99 when I bought it but is at $114 now.

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammu ... 2-3-4.html
friedcoot
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 am

Just found out herters makes dove loads at a very reasonable price! Only 64.99 a case. Looks like I found a new dove load :) Quite a bit cheaper than the winchesters i was shooting
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby fowlplay57 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 pm

I thought it was 2019 b4 we have to shoot steel for doves?
fowlplay57
hunter

Postby fowlplay57 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Been shooting #9's for years at doves. Way back when Rem and AA's $45 a case and that was for 500 rounds, not 250.
fowlplay57
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Just found out herters makes dove loads at a very reasonable price! Only 64.99 a case. Looks like I found a new dove load :) Quite a bit cheaper than the winchesters i was shooting

Be careful, Herters does not "make" anything anymore. Cabelas purchased the name and client list years ago. I believe most of Cabelas Herters brand ammunition is made in former Soviet States. The tolerances on the loads and casings will be much different than known name brands.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 pm

fowlplay57 wrote:I thought it was 2019 b4 we have to shoot steel for doves?

Statewide I think your right . Some areas esp. in Condor range are mandated earlier.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:30 am

friedcoot wrote:
mendotakiller wrote:Just found out herters makes dove loads at a very reasonable price! Only 64.99 a case. Looks like I found a new dove load :) Quite a bit cheaper than the winchesters i was shooting

Be careful, Herters does not "make" anything anymore. Cabelas purchased the name and client list years ago. I believe most of Cabelas Herters brand ammunition is made in former Soviet States. The tolerances on the loads and casings will be much different than known name brands.

The new Herters (Cabelas) shotgun ammo is actually manufactured in Italy. Been shooting it for 2 years for sporting clays. 20 cases so far and could not be any happier with it. First thing I did was disassemble 1 round to check components shot was excellent, wad was definitely Italian, similar to rio or b&p, and powder burns clean. They use cheddite hulls and primers. Clean burning shells in both my 725 sporting, and my A400 and Extrema 2.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:55 am

As long as they go bang and throw the shot in the air for me its all good! Cheaper the better for doves. Dosent matter about knock down power or any of that BS like with duck hunting lmao
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks Leaky. Good thing too. Apparently it is Cheddite who makes the shells. I have used cheddite hulls in past with great results.
The Russian made Herters problem apparently stemmed from the steel rifle cases expanding in the barrel @ discharge.

Mendota killer your probably right about that ammo selection for dove. I was perfectly happy with low brass / high base anything when I had less available funds for doves.

The new steel mandate will have upland hunters scrambling for efficient loads to meet their needs. As you get older, time moves faster (so it seems) and the transition date is closer than we may think. If you have lead game loads, and you don't shoot clay targets, then now would be a good time in my opinion to shoot them up and start the transition to steel. Like several others, I still have a couple cases of loose boxes of #2-#9 lead loads. Going to be hard finding enough pheasant, turkey, and pigeons flying around to shoot them up before we die or the new steel mandate comes into play.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Anybody worried about this cloudy weather with a few drops of rain here and there? Seems like its like a weekly thing now.....hopefully it wont drive the birds off
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Anybody worried about this cloudy weather with a few drops of rain here and there? Seems like its like a weekly thing now.....hopefully it wont drive the birds off

Not as long as out stays hot. It's not the rain that pushes them out. It's the cold.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:27 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:
mendotakiller wrote:Anybody worried about this cloudy weather with a few drops of rain here and there? Seems like its like a weekly thing now.....hopefully it wont drive the birds off

Not as long as out stays hot. It's not the rain that pushes them out. It's the cold.

Unless you have access to a migration flight path and it gets cold and they are coming through in groups of 30........the spot that I hunt is decent on the opener but much better in the second season!
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 am

I remember when I first got my licence I was all excited for doves....3 days before the season it sprinkled (and it was still hot) and they all split. Rain kills dove hunting. Except for the late season for some reason. I can always get onto some birds...
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby 7mllrds » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Everyone always blames the "cold" snap. It's garbage. Last year, we had no cold snap and the dove in this part of the valley left in droves about 10 days before the opener. One of the best shoots I've ever had, we were hunting in our duck hunting jackets and gear because it was raining and the wind was blowing 20-30 with highs in the 60's that day. Believe and blame what you want but it ain't the cold. They do what they do for reasons of their own that we will never fully understand.
7mllrds
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting