Dove season!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: Dove season!

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:08 pm

quigby979 wrote:I just went to Walmart to buy some dove loads. They have suprema #8 shot with 1 oz. They are made in Spain and distributed out of Texas. They are $5.88 /box. Has anyone had any experience with this shell? Does anyone have a open spot for Dove hunting for a old man and his dog? I don't eat much, with shower and only farts occasionally.

Quig, I'd send you an invite but don't think you'd like taft much with its heat. Bit of a drive too. If I'm wrong lemme know :hi:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks Wanapasaki, yea that's a good drive for me. There are plenty around here I will just scout around and find something. Thank you though. Much appreciated!!
quigby979
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Well ladies its almost here!!! I cant wait! seein tons of birds should be a good monday! I have a nice 3 day weekend as well. So monday I get paid to shoot doves. Dosent get much better than that.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Well ladies its almost here!!! I cant wait! seein tons of birds should be a good monday! I have a nice 3 day weekend as well. So monday I get paid to shoot doves. Dosent get much better than that.

Yup. Perks of being an adult with a real job haha seen a flock of about 100 euros near the property I'm gonna be hunting here in tracy. Plus lots and lots of morning doves. Hunting an almond orchard surrounded by hay fields and tomatoes. Has a holding pond on it as well. Everything they need. Food, water and trees. Should be a good time with good friends!
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:45 am

Took a walk out to the local shootin spot. Was pleased to see way more birds than last year. Should be a nice labor day! happy huntin all.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:48 am

The euros are thickkk out on the westside rite now....theres actually more flying by my hunting spot to so we'll see. It will be a good way to start the season :)
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:43 am

With the Coffee Shops being full tomorrow morning with a lot of camoclad fellas and the excitement of the seasons
beginnings , take your time and flap your lips as long as you can , this will give me time to be in the best spot ( set-up
with my decoys and spinners ) even tho I got there at 2 am..... :lol3: So , don't come late and say move over ! :no:

just wishing everyone the best of Luck and be Safe......... :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:00 am

Still trying to decide what to do. I have a ressie for China island and know the birds are in there thick as I have hunted the opening day there the last 2 years. But then again I hate people. Haha weighing the options of guaranteed limits vs possible limits and some euros? Guess I have the rest of today to figure that one out. :help:
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 am

spoonysmaker wrote:Still trying to decide what to do. I have a ressie for China island and know the birds are in there thick as I have hunted the opening day there the last 2 years. But then again I hate people. Haha weighing the options of guaranteed limits vs possible limits and some euros? Guess I have the rest of today to figure that one out. :help:

Be careful SPOONIE !

With that GOOD AREA of China Island being all burnt-up and the company that will be there........ :huh: ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:06 pm

3200 man wrote:
spoonysmaker wrote:Still trying to decide what to do. I have a ressie for China island and know the birds are in there thick as I have hunted the opening day there the last 2 years. But then again I hate people. Haha weighing the options of guaranteed limits vs possible limits and some euros? Guess I have the rest of today to figure that one out. :help:

Be careful SPOONIE !

With that GOOD AREA of China Island being all burnt-up and the company that will be there........ :huh: ?

Yeah your rite 3200. I'll be out at the almond orchard in the morning and if I have to I'll hit up the san Joaquine river in the mid morning. There's public access rite down the road and with the river only being knee high I can walk down it a bit and find a nice gravel or sand bar and set up the mojos there. :thumbsup: only a few more hours!
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:23 pm

LOL dove decoys?
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby calrose » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:55 pm

How many guys started the long Labor Day weekend on Saturday hammering the Euros? Witnessed a group of individuals doing the same near Glenn. If not killing a few mourning doves by mistake they are surely spooking them for the opener on Monday. Could be an easy pinch for a warden to watch this fiasco. This could be a crack in the regulation allowing hunting Euros all year.
calrose
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:15 pm

mendotakiller wrote:LOL dove decoys?

Yeah I use dove decoys. I enjoy decoying dove. You should give it a try
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:20 pm

calrose wrote:How many guys started the long Labor Day weekend on Saturday hammering the Euros? Witnessed a group of individuals doing the same near Glenn. If not killing a few mourning doves by mistake they are surely spooking them for the opener on Monday. Could be an easy pinch for a warden to watch this fiasco. This could be a crack in the regulation allowing hunting Euros all year.

"Euro's" are year round targets ONLY in the Imperial valley. The recent regulations which have just been approved START the year round season for the rest of the state, begin and are concurrent with this years opener. In the rest of the state year round STARTS September 1st, not before. As a result, those out shooting doves of any sort right now are doing so illegally and out of season. Never ceases to amaze me the level of confusion and misinterpretation of the regulations? :huh: :fingerpt: :no: :help:

Last I heard Glenn is not in the Imperial Valley, you're right fiasco is the correct term.... :fingerpt:
Last edited by marsh-mello on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Why waste your time and money on decoys when they fly right to you anyway? Lmfao shooting doves is like taking candy from a baby!
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Kali_diver » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 pm

My opener was a bust. Missed on two didn't get another opportunity. Seemed like the heat had the birds in the trees early. Plus the club across the river has major sunflower plots keeping the birds over there.
Kali_diver
hunter

Postby pork4life » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 pm

My opener was good even though I was surrounded by idiots that:

- Shot a Hawk
- Buried all the doves that they shot
- Were taking 150 yard shots all day
- Set up 20 yards in front of me when I had been their all day
- And lastly shot from the road and inside city limits

But all in all I had a pretty bitchin' opener with 1 Mourning, 2 White wings and about 15 Eurasians...... And getting to see the warden bust the idiots was pretty cool :hammer:
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Lmao shot a hawk? *** hahaha Hell the dudes you were next to sound like full on retards. How the hell do people like that even get a licence? Hopefully they will get it taken away after they shot that hawk!
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 pm

I was going to sayCAL Tip. Glad they got busyed
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Bmaybee » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Got a limit at Mendota with my reservation. Right at 9am almost exactly, when they let the free roam folks onto the west side. Thank goodness because it became a warzone after that. Some guys do some pretty dumb stuff just for the chance to shoot a little bird. No need to shoot from the road, crawl around in the closed area, or SHOOT RIGHT OVER MY HEAD fellas. Just sit right here in this field and they will come to you, I promise.
Bmaybee
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting