California Drought Could Mean Disaster for Pacific Flyway Wa

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: California Drought Could Mean Disaster for Pacific Flywa

Postby friedcoot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:57 am

All I know is that a few are going to have some great shoots this year. You'll get to see what it was like when just the fields were burned . Before decomp and rice were in the same sentence.

"Ordinarily, waterfowl feed and rest on the flooded rice fields, which provide several hundred thousand acres of habitat.

Officials fear that migratory birds will concentrate on available water, crowding them together and increasing the chances of highly contagious avian botulism, which can kill ducks by the thousands in a very short time."
friedcoot
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:05 pm

So , now we're getting National attention ? WOW

Matt Weiser writes and article in the Sacramento Bee thats featured in our local paper ( which is a Rag ) !
Waterfowl Latest Drought Victims .......interesting ? But a Shame that our Waterfowl managers of this State and
others ( US F&G ) along with the Politicians in California and surrounding States , that have The Pacific Flyway Migration
didn't see a need for a Well or pumps for alternate water in the Klamath Basin / Tule Lake area ?

This is NOT Leadership...... :mad: Of our Natural Resources , Amongst Others ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:05 pm

What amounts of rain are you getting in N California during these latest bits of moisture?
I see on Weather.com's radar that there is at least a little falling up there today, and some fell in the lower central valley as well.
I can trace it's progress all the way back from here in E Idaho, down thru Nevada into California,.
We've got some really good moisture from it here over the last two days, and I'm wondering if this isn't maybe signs of the beginning of El Nino everyone was talking about earlier this year?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 7mllrds » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 pm

Unlikely. Bout enough to settle the dust is all so far. Every little bit helps but all it's gonna do is create havoc for the nut growers.
7mllrds
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:04 pm

7mllrds wrote:Unlikely. Bout enough to settle the dust is all so far. Every little bit helps but all it's gonna do is create havoc for the nut growers.

You did it now! 3200 he mentioned nuts, where are you?
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:What amounts of rain are you getting in N California during these latest bits of moisture?
I see on Weather.com's radar that there is at least a little falling up there today, and some fell in the lower central valley as well.
I can trace it's progress all the way back from here in E Idaho, down thru Nevada into California,.
We've got some really good moisture from it here over the last two days, and I'm wondering if this isn't maybe signs of the beginning of El Nino everyone was talking about earlier this year?

Nothing but sprinkles here and there. I'm sure most of it evaporated before it hit the ground
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Precipitation radars aren't built to read high in the atmosphere. It measures reflectivity of precipitation and nothing to do with amounts of precipitation. So, a reading on the radar most likely is hitting the surface with a few exceptions.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:18 pm

If it doesn't rain , we won't have to worry about nuts but right now , let it pour ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:00 am

Just curious, since no one else has brought it up, what did the birds do back when there was no rice or it was all dry and burned? There's plenty of water in Oregon. If the birds don't find what they need in Cali they will reverse migrate sooner. Do any of you club hunters want to lease my place? :hi:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:19 am

Am beginning to wonder more and more about all the moisture we've been getting here in E. Idaho over the last few days, and especially if we get what I see predicted for the next week.
Today, tomorrow, and Saturday, as well as next Tuesday, and Wednesday are all forecast to bring significant moisture to our area, and if it does come, it will be the wettest August we've seen in many, many years. Longer than I can even remember.
Something is different this year.
El Nino?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:12 pm

As Dove season is looking better each hot 100 degree day , I'm still awaiting to hear WHAT's the limit ?
Storms / Rain passing us over to neighboring states can help save the Pacific Flyway , that way the birds
won't die a slow death with Botulism if they migrate here ? Mother Nature has a plan , you think ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Any weather forecast more than 36 hours out is hypothesis with little evidence. Anything beyond 36 hours becomes very difficult to predict.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:50 pm

QH's Paw wrote:Just curious, since no one else has brought it up, what did the birds do back when there was no rice or it was all dry and burned? There's plenty of water in Oregon. If the birds don't find what they need in Cali they will reverse migrate sooner. Do any of you club hunters want to lease my place? :hi:

Your going to see some better harvest numbers coming out of the old traditional haunts like the Suison marsh. But, that will only last until this drought is over.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Understanding that 10 % of the hunters will be hunting over 40 % of their water this year and the other 90 % might not
have a place to go , doesn't sound to promising without rain . All we can do is Stand in line and wait our turn at the refuge ,
hoping the season goes on long enough to bring on the rain . Weathermen have a way of building our hopes , even though
they really don't know , is what I hear ? :huh:

OH , a big storm is coming across the Pacific with 55 mph winds , threatening the hawaiian Islands , maybe this is it ?

Come-on El Nino.......make my day ! :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:31 pm

QH's Paw wrote:Just curious, since no one else has brought it up, what did the birds do back when there was no rice or it was all dry and burned? There's plenty of water in Oregon. If the birds don't find what they need in Cali they will reverse migrate sooner. Do any of you club hunters want to lease my place? :hi:

There were no ducks back then! Duh [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:

Telling the truth would have been easier. Why didn't you just say you're not that old or, you just don't know? You don't have to know everything, even if you are from the Sac shack.[2 faces with tongues sticking out and middle fingers pointing up!]
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:04 am

QH's Paw wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

Telling the truth would have been easier. Why didn't you just say you're not that old or, you just don't know? You don't have to know everything, even if you are from the Sac shack.[2 faces with tongues sticking out and middle fingers pointing up!]

:lol: grandpa told me
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 am

QH's Paw might have something there ? He might have healthy birds to shoot , from what I read here local birds dying
all around the SAC Basin would leave hunters with easy targets , on the water !

Maybe sick looking decoys would be better ? As I see some fellas going with Avian X to fill their needs ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby calrose » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Probability of E lNino happeneing just downgraded from 80% to 65% per NOAA. Face it, they just do not know...
calrose
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:41 pm

calrose wrote:Probability of E lNino happeneing just downgraded from 80% to 65% per NOAA. Face it, they just do not know...

They can't accurately predict the weather from day to day.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:17 pm

We could use some of Hawaii's lashings right now !

Just to scatter those NUTS all over the North valley ! :yes: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby deathtospoonies » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Anyone know whether their clubs will be flooding? Blind seats may sky rocket for the clubs with senior water rights.
deathtospoonies
hunter

Postby Tommyo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:54 pm

water deals are coming together soon - stay tuned.
Find a way when there is no way.
Tommyo
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:58 am

Some clubs thought they would get water but Can't !
Other clubs are getting water but , only 40 % !
Then the decision is , do they take that 40 % early in the season or wait until Northern Birds show-up ?
There're a lot of clubs that might have some water but No Bird flight at all !

Enjoy what we have in the Delta as that's where the birds will in up !
3200 man
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting