California Drought Could Mean Disaster for Pacific Flyway Wa

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: California Drought Could Mean Disaster for Pacific Flywa

Postby Nabs » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Like I said before, we will have all the water we are willing to pump, 5 blinds full water from opening day to the last day. A few miles from my house, less than 10 to any one of the five.
Nabs
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:43 pm

3200 man wrote:Some clubs thought they would get water but Can't !
Other clubs are getting water but , only 40 % !
Then the decision is , do they take that 40 % early in the season or wait until Northern Birds show-up ?
There're a lot of clubs that might have some water but No Bird flight at all !

Enjoy what we have in the Delta as that's where the birds will in up !

Everyone assumes all the birds will be in the Delta this year. I wouldn't assume that. No one can predict how it will all play out. We have had such a gross over abundance of seasonal wetlands for the number of birds that winter here we might actually be in a better situation with less water. Birds might actually have to move around more this year to find resources and hunters might have a better season. No one can predict how it will play out.

My take is everyone sit back and prepare for another hunting season. Plan on spending more waiting time on the refuges and hope for the best. Watch how the season plays out, have plenty of options and don't put your eggs in one basket. One must be willing to adapt to the conditions we are dealt with and make the change quickly or stay home I guess. I'm not making any predictions about this season because we will see something we haven't seen in decades. A low water year may be just the thing we need to get the harvest back up to where we have hoped it would be the last several years. Maybe it will be awful and the birds move back up but if the north freezes up hard then I would suspect birds will be in the Valley like they used to be.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks Kev for your up-beat thoughts ! There's no doubt predictions are only that and what it is , is what it is .
We are getting close to what Fall brings us and just being in the field , is what its all about ! Surely attitudes
will change ( Like Mine ) when we spend more time trying to figure out where the birds want to be . The best
part of the seasons is talking with other hunters , getting ideas for success and seeing nature at it best ( for
what ever she throws at us ) . All we can do is be Sportsmen abiding by our laws / Morals of fair chase and
hopefully past it on to the younger generation ! :thumbsup:

Now , with help from all sportsmen , contact your State Government and oppose limiting lead for hunting until all
calibers can be available in nontoxic ammunition along with powders .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:12 pm

You can....

adapt, improvise and overcome

....or.....

sit, whine and bitch.

Everybody is in the same boat. The guys that have spent some time developing plans b, c, d, etc will still kill birds. Others, not so much. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:08 pm

QH's Paw wrote:Just curious, since no one else has brought it up, what did the birds do back when there was no rice or it was all dry and burned? There's plenty of water in Oregon. If the birds don't find what they need in Cali they will reverse migrate sooner. Do any of you club hunters want to lease my place? :hi:

:lol3: what a tool :no:
FowlChase
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Ha! You have obviously never met QH's paw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:03 am

Mean Gene wrote:You can....

adapt, improvise and overcome

....or.....

sit, whine and bitch.

Everybody is in the same boat. The guys that have spent some time developing plans b, c, d, etc will still kill birds. Others, not so much. :thumbsup:

You have a much more refined way of putting it Gene. They don't like my way of saying the same thing. :beer:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting