Sacramento Valley Hunting Tips/Tricks

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Sacramento Valley Hunting Tips/Tricks

Postby AKducker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi folks,

I'm moving to Willows CA in September for work, wondering if any of you have any advice for duck hunter from the north. I'm moving down from AK and am looking for any advise about hunting, decoys, anything really. I know the ducks will probably have a little more education than the dumb ducks we have up here. I thought i could hunt the refuges in the valley that have lottery hunts, seems pretty accessable on foot. any advise helps

thanks,
AKducker
AKducker
Newb

Re: Sacramento Valley Hunting Tips/Tricks

Postby friedcoot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:35 pm

Welcome Alaska. :welcome: Your going to have to "fish" on your own more than likely. You'll get some general info. but not the gold mine. I'm pretty sure you'll make a few local friends in Willows who hunt fowl and will put you on the birds. In the meantime, start searching on your spare time different sites and here to find "tips".
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 am

Tip one.
Figure out where and when the spec closures is on your side of the valley. That will be a fun read.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby JonD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:20 am

Tip two:
Hope and pray for rain storms
JonD
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Step three:
get ready to never draw an NVR and definitely be ready to spend a lot of money driving around the valley putting in for lottos and then driving back to check your numbers.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Tuff year to look...first time in 30 years I don't have a club...and I'm not the least bit concerned...this is the real deal...but rain can save the day!

das mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby mallard militia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm

if no luck with the refuges get in contact with a warden ask what are some public waterways in your area that are huntable .decoys i usually run 1-4 dozen mostly mallards woodies and sprig but im in a different area than you. if i were u i would stick with mallard and sprig
mallard militia
hunter

Postby ducslayer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:08 am

If you don't draw the lotto, stick around on the first come first served line. Get on to any refuge you can. Walk around in the afternoon and watch where the birds want to be. Take notes and be in that place when you draw. Also have plan b, c and d in your notes.
ducslayer
hunter

Postby Brewdad » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:30 am

Welcome,

Although CA will be a shock to you in terms of the number of people and competition for hunting, believe it or not, we actually have a ton of birds here.

Willows is a great spot to be and puts you very nearby many major refuges.

Send me a PM on here and I will send you an email to help you get started any way I can. Lots of stuff to learn but if you are hardcore about it and want to learn, you will do very well.
Brewdad
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting