Grasslands

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Grasslands

Postby Beretta06 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:38 pm

I received the official letter from the grasslands 65% allocation. 155 Acre feet for our property. I chose to take the majority of the delivery from October 6th through October 15th of 124 acre feet. And use the rest to maintain pond level or maintnance water. Starting October 16-31 of 10 acre ft November 1st-30th 15 acre ft Dec 1-16 6 acre ft and then the gate shuts if there hasn't been any further rain. We will slide boards down the rails for the first time ever to seal in the water as screw gates leak. And then pray my grandfather has made friends with the Man in Charge.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! AS THIS IS THE HISTORIC MAKE OR BREAK WATER YEAR. I CANT IMAGAINE WHAT EFFECTS ANOTHER HISTORIC LOW RAINFALL YEAR WILL HAVE ON THIS STATE AND THIS SPORT WE DEDICATE OURSELVES TO!
Beretta06
hunter

Re: Grasslands

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:51 am

Dwight

Hopefully you double board that water structure , then drape it with plastic packing it with dirt ?
Sounds like , with 65 % of normal and initially using 124 Ac/ft will get you shooting but maintaining
a smaller pond to last the season would be more of a benefit ? Parched ground has a way of taking
a lot of water as vegetation comes back alive and thirsty !

Good plan , if there's birds in the area ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 am

I have achieved 100% seal with a single board. Cut the redwood 1/4 inch short on either side, dry it in the sun if damp, use latex caulking between the boards, fill all gaps in the tracks with construction foam, when the boards swell the foam acts as a gasket, zero water will leak through.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:07 am

I can't believe you would pollute the water with that , as you drain your place ? :no: :no: :no:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

You must shoot shells with bio wads huh? Actually I only drain the top 16" of water off of the pond by driving a wedge in the birds opening it up an 1" in February the rest of the water evaporates and purculates and irrigates to promote the growth of swamp timathoy in the spring. I highly Dout little if any latex or foam gets away!

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:39 am

By double boarding and filling the gap with Cow ---- , it will seal the cracks and help the down stream users But ,
I understand , to each their own ! It's just the difference between City folks and Country folks experience ?

Shoot straight , sick birds deserve it ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:16 am

3200 man wrote:By double boarding and filling the gap with Cow ---- , it will seal the cracks and help the down stream users But ,
I understand , to each their own ! It's just the difference between City folks and Country folks experience ?

Shoot straight , sick birds deserve it ! :thumbsup:

It's hard not to snicker a bit when people assume they know who I am by the fact I live and work in southern CA, you see I grew up in the Santa Ynez valley. When I grew up it was about as redneck as you get. I have worn wranglers and western style work boots all my life. I grew up shoveling horse crap and maintaining fence at my grand parents horse farm. My methods for the boards in the weir is probably from my extensive dirt and underground background. You see underground utilities dry and wet installation was my trade long before I started working for the Goleta water district.
Attachments
image.jpg
So this is taken the weekend of late goose season our water level had droped 8" since mid December when we took the last water. With little to no precipitation
image.jpg
Obviously the floor of the weir is nearly dry pretty good seal.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:54 pm

With double slots in your water structures ( there's a reason for them ) but not for caulking or styrofoam but dirt or
Cow ---- ! There are fellas wearing Big Cowboy Hats that have no Cows , I agree !

Grab a Shovel and play like you know something then ! The next guy down stream won't have to clean-up your mess ,
including the sick birds / animals .

It''s something WE who live here , on farms all our lives , deal with yearly ,

I'm not attacking you as a Bad Club Manager , Just making you aware of , what's happening upstream , the stale water
and trash coming down is bad enough each year !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:14 pm

It's intesting listen to you. You seem to know all on every forum every subject. You haven't a clue.you always have somthing crappy to say. Like a grumpy old man that thinks his way is the only way. If you think for a second a little piece of latex will make a bird sick you are nuts. Styrofoam is a completely different material then I'm speaking of. As for a cowboy hat nope never have worn one. Not even while rounding up cattle. What? That's right you talk major crap to someone who rides ropes and has never worn a cowboy hat who lives in southern CA although it's been a few years but I chose to continue duck hunting as a hobby after family life started.As for that second slot yup I'm aware of the old school way of thinking. But that's what it is old. Dry latex is no more harmful to the enviornment than the wads you use in your reloads.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:08 pm

In our county discharging of fertilizers organic or otherwise is an absolute no no. In lakes,streams ponds, canals or otherwise. Which is why all the sediment basins have been created in the lompoc, Santa Maria, and Ventura areas to catch runoff containing fertilizers, that are considered harmfull to the fish that don't exsist anymore in the dry rivers. I'll pass on throwing fertilizer in between the boards that are going to runoff into an actual river with real fish in it.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:42 pm

You can tell when no one knows ( for sure ) how much water their going to get , as the summer goes on (without rain)
we can only hope the refuges get their share to maintain the habitat , even at the cost of some small clubs .

Grumpy , yes !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:14 pm

3200 man wrote:You can tell when no one knows ( for sure ) how much water their going to get , as the summer goes on (without rain)
we can only hope the refuges get their share to maintain the habitat , even at the cost of some small clubs .

Grumpy , yes !

So you would rather refuges get all the water at the expense of small clubs like ours? Well let's hear your theory on that I'd like to know why. You would think the little our club is shot between opener and the middle of December our club would be the best place for birds to rest. But what do I know right your the smart old grumpy guy.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:25 pm

With the refuges having full time Biologist and habitat managers , they should get all the Fed water they need for
our local and migrating waterfowl as the farming in the surrounding areas does help feed the birds ! Most small Clubs
with what little water they'll get this year won't provide much of anything , but use up water for a couple weeks of hunting ,
whereas the refuges could support a lot more public hunters . If the El Nino doesn't materialize like we hope it will , more
than Duck Clubs will be in a world of hurt as the Pacific Flyway could be damaged for a long long time , from poor water
management !

I know it would be hard for you to see living so far , South ? and leave the styrofoam home , the refuges don't use it
so why would you ? :huh:
Last edited by 3200 man on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3200 man
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Hey lotsamallards , shouldn't you be in Sask by now ?

We really missed you , lately ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Well I guess the fact that the swamp Timothy came up 2 to 3 feet tall this spring. Means nothing I suppose. Growing a good crop is not that difficult. The center and edges of our club are untouched other than the blinds being cut out. There's a solid 40 acres of it still standing. I usually put water on in mid August. Which promotes the growth of the swamp Timothy but that is not in the cards. I still have an ample food source at our club when the water comes in. More so than clubs near. The neighbors run cattle so all the feed is gone. The big sandy has relatively no proper management. Deer park has ample food they have extensive magement. I don't understand why you suggest we don't grow feed when you just don't know. As far as living this far south has little to do with anything at all. It seems talking down to people is a high for you.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby GGC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:59 pm

At our club in the N. Grasslands, we will be getting the same 65%. We're taking most of ours at flood up and holding back 15%. We will only flood about 70% of our floodable acres, but that should be fine. We'll take water to top up in late Nov. I like to double board, then pack Bentonite between the boards.... finally I tarp them. I've never had a leak through a thick layer of Bentonite, works great and is neither a fertilizer or a pollutant.
GGC
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:42 am

My views are just that ! With limited resources ( water ) this year , it seems to ( ME) , the local birds have found places
to survive already , it's the migratory birds we need to provide water for ! With water being rationed out to so many small
clubs with out proper management or lack of holding water to benefit the birds , better use would be The Refuges .
Large parcels with full time habitat Biologist , with Taxpayers money to take care of our migratory birds ! Sure small acreages
having clean water does benefit the local birds but this is for just a short time ( maybe a month ) in this hot weather pattern ,
then it gets stale / stinky / mosquito laden and is less beneficial to man or beast .
More hunters could enjoy this sport at the Refuges (with adequate water) along with the birds being better managed .
As the year goes on and water allotments are used-up , there's a chance there will be NO MORE water, so , thinking of the birds
will be in the best interest of our sport for all of us .
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:56 pm

3200 your way would put all the birds in close quarters a few thousand acres.id say much more likely to run out of food. As well as more likely to spred disease in close quarters. It's to bad that rice water was sold to southern CA huh. And not moved to wetland habitat use. As for our little bitty club benifiting local ducks. Last I looked pintails are mostly migrant birds. Which is mostly what you see using the club.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby delta85c » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 pm

Haven't u heard theres a tone of birds at Mandeville an free blinds lol
delta85c
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 pm

[quote="Beretta06"]3200 your way would put all the birds in close quarters a few thousand acres.id say much more likely to run out of food. As well as more likely to spred disease in close quarters. It's to bad that rice water was sold to southern CA huh. And not moved to wetland habitat use. As for our little bitty club benifiting local ducks. Last I looked pintails are mostly migrant birds. Which is mostly what you see using the club.[

I see your point but birds will move to fresh water as other clubs call for it . Without the ability to move water it will become
stale with this hot weather we're having , so , within a month or so larger acreages (refuges) will hold more birds , right ? With
less chance of birds dying from disease like smaller clubs ! .......We do have a possible problem ( like Tule Lake ) with stale
standing water , hopefully it doesn't start at your club or anywhere else in the Grasslands !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:26 pm

There are a whole lot of variables that I don't think you have thought through to keep water fresh. I Dout the refuges will have anymore success keeping water fresh then we will.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:01 am

The Best of Luck to you ! We can see you're a Great Family Sportsman , keeping up the tradition ! :thumbsup:

With this years conditions , we need to be on High Alert......to save our flyway , and it will take Fellas like you

to monitor / manage your area ! I can assure you we're in this together !

Shoot Straight
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Beretta06 wrote:Well I guess the fact that the swamp Timothy came up 2 to 3 feet tall this spring. Means nothing I suppose. Growing a good crop is not that difficult. The center and edges of our club are untouched other than the blinds being cut out. There's a solid 40 acres of it still standing. I usually put water on in mid August. Which promotes the growth of the swamp Timothy but that is not in the cards. I still have an ample food source at our club when the water comes in. More so than clubs near. The neighbors run cattle so all the feed is gone. The big sandy has relatively no proper management. Deer park has ample food they have extensive magement. I don't understand why you suggest we don't grow feed when you just don't know. As far as living this far south has little to do with anything at all. It seems talking down to people is a high for you.

My above comment references the big sandy. As a club the has zero wetland management that benifits waterfowl. Right story wrong neighbor. I just mixed up club names . Which is a bad thing when u basically call someone out. It is the Teri Alto that runs cattle leaving nothing but Bermuda grass and a few tules. Which effects the big sandy in a negitive way. Even better the cattle ended up on our club after they walked over the dividing fence and just tore everything up in our cabin compound as well as ate away at the feed on our place.

I'm pretty sure 3200 made sure the big sandy guys aware of my comment so I'd like to thank him for it being brought to my attention before it effected my relationship with our neighbors. In all fairness I see the big sandy guys up there often. And know they have spent some coin for improvements lately.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:35 pm

I don't think the Flyway is in trouble.

Do you honestly think this is the first drought California has had to deal with? The rains will come again and the ducks will replenish as they always have.

Will there be some short term impact on the Flyway. Probably so. However, it won't be something that we all should sit around and lose sleep over. Biologists have come up with a plan and there will be water available for the birds. We might see some die offs this year but not all of them are going to die off as there will still be plenty of wetlands out there.

We have a gross abundance of seasonal wetlands in the State these days. Over 500,000 acres of flooded rice in most years alone and then all of the new private sanctuary water that has come online in the last 10 years. Wealthy folks have created massive sanctuaries that hold hundreds of thousands of birds and those birds have plenty of resources to fuel up and rest. Having a chunk of that acreage out of commission is not going to be the end all to ducks. We might actually see a situation similar to what we used to have. Where birds actually had to move around from region to region to find food. They couldn't sit and not move for months at a time because they have everything they need. Yet........that might even not be the case. Even with half the water of normal out there they may still have too much. We will find out soon enough I guess but I wouldn't sweat it. The birds have adapted long before any of us ever walked this planet.

What hunters should worry more about is the availability of water moving forward. Get involved. Make sure your Legislators and Conservation Organizations are representing your interests. Corporate nut farms are sucking the groundwater dry and everyone wants in to make a buck. NONE of that is favorable for the wetlands in the long term and more tug on the watershed is not good.

More and more rice is being converted to trees. Birds over the next decade will become more reliant on wetlands and that is where we come in. We have to understand the value of supporting legislation that benefits wildlife. Many of our representatives are at odds with our interests. Republicans may be against gun control but yet are pro big AG business which may be a disaster for wildlife. We see more and more of this in our candidates these days. Liberals may be anti-gun but they also support pro-wildlife and pro environment legislation that protect our wetlands. We won't have any place to hunt if we don't have wetlands and certainly won't hunt if we don't have guns. So what can one do? Support special interest groups and organizations that have your best interests in mind. Stay involved in public outreach groups and keep the pressure on all the candidates no matter what their political party is.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Well said calikev, that is one of the best post and response I have read in a long time. THANK YOU!!
quigby979
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting