Pistol grip for ducks????

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Pistol grip for ducks????

Postby dwhauss » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 pm

I have been using a standard stock gun, and this is whats happening to me. Thinking of changing to pistol grip.

After 40 yrs of ironwork, the wrists bend about 15deg instead of 90.
I have been noticing that mounting the gun hurts to rotate my wrist downward, and might be holding me up from getting the gun all the way up.
I have picked up some with pistol grips, or thumb hole stock, and it seems much easier on the carpals.
Anybody ever shoot with a pistol grip for ducks or fowl? I know some guys have them for turkeys, but curious about ducks?? Feedback appreciated.
BTW, its a bennelli vinci.
Last edited by dwhauss on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Haussler
dwhauss
hunter

Re: Pistol grip for ducks????

Postby awc16 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 pm

I have a friend that has a pistol grip on his 870 for wing shooting. He said he likes it. I tried it and it was defiantly different, but I'm sure with a little practice it wouldn't be to hard to get used to.
awc16
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:12 pm

I sculled past a old guy (older than me at least) in the south bay standing on a levee holding a fire stick with the pistol grip. Looked weird but so did spinning white panels when they first came out. If it works for you, I would use it. Maybe it will be the next hot fowling accessory. :thumbsup:
friedcoot
hunter

Postby TXNewt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:57 am

I met a guy last year who used a benelli with a pistol grip and he said that it just took time to get used to it. If it feels better for you then go for it. If there were any advantage/disadvantage, you will be a better shot if you are more comfortable.
TXNewt
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:20 pm

I put one on my 870 an used it goose hunting it really seemed to kick the side of your face much worse by the end if the day i was missing birds cuz i was pulling my head away from the stock
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby fish dog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:18 am

Wouldn't that make it an illegal "assault weapon" in Commiefornia? Oh, the horror! :fingerhead:

Seriously, if it works for you why not. I'd take two guns to the trap range, one regular, one pistol grip, and try it out and see.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting