North Dakota Road Trip

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: duckman2000, OGblackcloud, spoonysmaker

North Dakota Road Trip

Postby quigby979 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:19 pm

I am wanting to do a week road trip to North Dakota to hunt Ducks and Geese. It might be a bucket list thing but would love to go and see the prairie pot hole region and hunt it at least once. It's not about killing birds but to just have the experience. I don't really want to go it alone so is anyone else interested in doing this? If not this year start planning for next year.
quigby979
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: North Dakota Road Trip

Postby blondski135 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Not putting in for a road trip of that magnitude right now. I lived in Minot for a year and did a fair amount of puddle duck shooting and also pheasant hunting.

Soooooooo much public land!! Omg !! If its not posted, it's open to hunt and almost every land owner is pretty laid back so you can stop in at the farm house to ask permission.

Every occasion I went hunting for ducks I got a limit of mallard and real mixed bag. Just drive down the road see a puddle and put a dozen decoys in
blondski135
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 am

quigby979 wrote:I am wanting to do a week road trip to North Dakota to hunt Ducks and Geese. It might be a bucket list thing but would love to go and see the prairie pot hole region and hunt it at least once. It's not about killing birds but to just have the experience. I don't really want to go it alone so is anyone else interested in doing this? If not this year start planning for next year.

I'm in Wyoming and not too far off your route. Let me know when you're thinking about going and I might be interested. I've lived in ND before a few times for short periods but never during fall.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:47 am

I am still deciding. I just figured to share the cost with 2-3 other guys would make it more doable plus the driving the distance we could make it straight through. My plans are for the second week in October. I will definitely let you know BGipson. It would be a honor to hunt with you. I have been studying maps and watching Utube about hunting that area.
quigby979
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Agreed. We drove 1,000 miles to SK last fall in 1 go. I probably won't be able to make that timeline since it's deer opener in Idaho but I'll help where I can if you have questions about ND.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Ok, that's too bad but gotta chase the deer when it's time. Thanks for offering to help. I am just going to wing it, scout where the birds are, use the plots maps, ask for permission when needed and enjoy the experience. Maybe get lucky with weather.
quigby979
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 pm

quigby979 wrote:Ok, that's too bad but gotta chase the deer when it's time. Thanks for offering to help. I am just going to wing it, scout where the birds are, use the plots maps, ask for permission when needed and enjoy the experience. Maybe get lucky with weather.

You'll have a good time for sure! Whatcha taking for a spread? That'll likely still be early for snows but you may catch the front of them.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

All I have is 3 dozen mallard, pintail, widgeon and teaI floaters and have a couple spinners. I don't have any geese decoys. I hunt refuge and flooded rice. I do have a friend that has some geese though. I have never hunted dry fields before.
quigby979
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Sounds like you're going on a shoestring?
Camping in tent, trailer?
No goose decoys?

North Dakota is cool, but I'm thinking you'll do better on Pheasants that early.
Make your contacts.
That's where I'd be looking first trip out, you will get birds!
By all means take your decoys and check out the Pot Hole areas for waterfowl, but make a later trip for them or even next year!
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Pretty much FSbirdhouse, and for a first time trip I am ok with that. If I go it alone I will get a room and go from there. I am 56 so I want to go and see this area and experience the prairie potholes. I have been studying maps and pulling up the plots maps. It might become a annual trip or it might be a one time thing. But it is just something I want to experience. If I get into some birds that will just enhance the experience.
quigby979
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 pm

That's about all you can do at this point. Since you don't mind hunting water, you will have plenty of opportunities to kill birds since the majority of guys go there for the fields. Find some flooded spots if there's late summer rains or just find the potholes they loaf on and you'll knock em dead.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby evanboyle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 am

Quigby, Ive got over 200 duck decoys (sprig, wigeon, mallard, cans, teal, spoonies) and geese floaters/socks if you want to borrow anything for the trip. Half of them are at Lambertville and the others in San Jose. Let me know if you need anything man. If I didn't have a 7 month old at home, I'd ask to tag along!
evanboyle
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Good to see fellow hunters on this site offering help in quality forms.
I've got a number of offers pending for California hunters to come and hunt here in E Idaho, but to date only have had one take me up on that, and his last conversation was about properties (Homes) for sale in area since that experience!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks evanboyle,
I might take you up on that and will be in touch. Their will be time for you. I would enjoy hunting with you. You will have a JR Hunter before you know it too.
FS, I might never get to hunt with you but would still buy you lunch to hear your hunting stories. It is very enjoyable reading about your hunts and seeing the pictures. Thanks for all of your help and input.
quigby979
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:14 pm

quigby979 wrote:Thanks evanboyle,
I might take you up on that and will be in touch. Their will be time for you. I would enjoy hunting with you. You will have a JR Hunter before you know it too.
FS, I might never get to hunt with you but would still buy you lunch to hear your hunting stories. It is very enjoyable reading about your hunts and seeing the pictures. Thanks for all of your help and input.

If you were coming a little later in the fall, you would have the chance at a prime hunt in our area. Mid-October is often doldrums for us as the locals have moved off or gotten wise and the migrators are still north. You are welcome to stop in for a hunt with me if you want though. Might be a nice break from your 30ish hour drive.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks BGipson,
My dates are not set in stone. I just picked those thinking I might hit it with some weather. Our opener should be Oct 21. I could come the last week of October if you think it might be better. The first week of November is a full moon. I appreciate the invite and would enjoy a hunt with you. I will be in touch.
quigby979
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

quigby979 wrote:Thanks BGipson,
My dates are not set in stone. I just picked those thinking I might hit it with some weather. Our opener should be Oct 21. I could come the last week of October if you think it might be better. The first week of November is a full moon. I appreciate the invite and would enjoy a hunt with you. I will be in touch.

Later is almost always better in my neck of the woods. Later also means more mallards around if that is something that you'd enjoy. Typically things really get good from Thanksgiving on but that would be far too late for your intended trip to ND. Whenever you come through, I'm sure I can find some birds to chase.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:03 pm

BGipson wrote:
quigby979 wrote:I am wanting to do a week road trip to North Dakota to hunt Ducks and Geese. It might be a bucket list thing but would love to go and see the prairie pot hole region and hunt it at least once. It's not about killing birds but to just have the experience. I don't really want to go it alone so is anyone else interested in doing this? If not this year start planning for next year.

I'm in Wyoming and not too far off your route. Let me know when you're thinking about going and I might be interested. I've lived in ND before a few times for short periods but never during fall.

Don't hunt with this guy. He can't call and he shoots like an old lady. :lol3:

I'll be just south of you in South Dakota...after I get don't chasing birds with the guy who shoots like an old lady. :lol3:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm feeling the love Gene! See if I share all my tricks for goin to Canada before we go lol might have to throw some zipties in the blind bag for when you snooze off in your layout. Hard to open doors when they're ziptied shut [emoji38]3:

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby berdnird » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Can you guys please stop talking about a North Dakota road trip. Some of us have young kids, jobs, etc. Please stop torturing me and take this to a PM. At this point, I'd be lucky to road trip to a north valley refuge for a day or two. God damn I hate you out of nothing but pure jealousy.
berdnird
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:47 pm

berdnird wrote:Can you guys please stop talking about a North Dakota road trip. Some of us have young kids, jobs.

Sounds self inflicted to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:56 pm

berdnird wrote:Can you guys please stop talking about a North Dakota road trip. Some of us have young kids, jobs, etc. Please stop torturing me and take this to a PM. At this point, I'd be lucky to road trip to a north valley refuge for a day or two. God damn I hate you out of nothing but pure jealousy.

I had those once. Now I just have bad knees and an expanding waistline.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby berdnird » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
berdnird wrote:Can you guys please stop talking about a North Dakota road trip. Some of us have young kids, jobs, etc. Please stop torturing me and take this to a PM. At this point, I'd be lucky to road trip to a north valley refuge for a day or two. God damn I hate you out of nothing but pure jealousy.

I had those once. Now I just have bad knees and an expanding waistline.

Never wish for the future to come sooner. It will be here soon enough, and then you will be wishing for days past - Berdnird
berdnird
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

No kids but I've got that pesky job thing you talk about and I'll have it for a few years yet since I'm 27. Helps that I work 12's though and have half the days of the year off technically. Took some years and moving around hunting a few states to figure out just where to find this sweet gig :yes:

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Five years ago I made the only trip to N Dakota I'm ever likely to make.
Went after pheasants with several fellows that knew the Bowman area of Western N Dakota pretty well.
It was opening day, I had a 7 1/2 month chocolate first time out after pheasant, but there were three other dogs very experienced, and half the fun was watching him suddenly come of age 2 1/2 days out watching the other dogs. Many, many Pheasants!
There were plenty of pot holes around, and we hunted the edges wherever there were stands of cattails.
There were ducks that early, and we saw a very few geese, but the populations for either were pretty sparse.
That is not to say we were in a very good spot for waterfowl, but there were not many to be seen around those pot holes.

I may not have as good a luck with the Pheasants in E Idaho, but I would not be tempted to leave home for waterfowl, lest I felt an overpowering desire to load up on Specks and Snows.
Greenheads and Honkers are my game, and I can be content.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting