Cold Front Ducks

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Cold Front Ducks

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Well this morning was an exciting morning. We got down to our spot right on time, the snow was flying and the clouds were low and heavy. As soon as daybreak was upon us the ducks started flying like crazy. We managed to down 2 mallard drakes and a GW teal drake. We crippled a few more but couldnt find them in the thick cattails.

At around 8:30 we heard a loud crash and saw dirt flying on the highway behind us. A mini van had rolled several times into the median. All 3 of us rushed to the scene and someone else had also stopped. They flipped the van back over and the mexican lady was in shock but not hurt at all, she couldnt speak a lick of english to thank us or anything. After the state patrol arrived we headed back to our blind winded but alot warmer then we were.

We waited it out another hour or 2 but didnt down any more ducks. We shot lots and had a great day. If it was for all the comotion on the highway with the sirens and such we would have proabaly got a few more.

Here's a few pictures it was wet and cold and neither of our cameras were cooperating.Very good looking ducks if i had the money they would have went on the wall not in the freezer.

You can see the lights from the ambulance in the distance thats how far we had to run to help out.

Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Re: Cold Front Ducks

Postby Husker20 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:57 am

WOW! :eek: at least you had some luck, very nice of you to help :clapping:
Husker20
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:29 pm

From the looks of the crash we thought we were gonna see dead people. When we got there and realised she didnt even have a scratch on her, we waited for the state trooper then bolted back to our blind ASAP because the hunting was so good before hand.
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby HooterBrown » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Catfish's brother here..... just thought id post some of the pictures i took on the trip..... Cant wait to get back out there and down some ducks

Mallard - 3
GW Teal - 1
HooterBrown
Newb

Postby ejbarger » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Nice of you to help you out dude theres not a lot of people that would give up hunting for a bit, my hats off to you dude. Those are some beautiful birds, looks like a real nice calm spot along the river congrats.
:clapping: :beer: :beer:
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
Dog retrieve totals- Camo(3rd yr.)-41, Bandit(1st yr.)-4
ejbarger
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:41 pm

We went out this morning to our local fishing hole. The roads were crap and we couldnt make it to the usualy hunting spot. We were out about an hour and managed to get one mallard drake.I fell in the river running after the duck so we decided to go back home. The action is picking up with all this snow and cold weather.

We went out on saturday also and managed to kill 2 ducks the river was pretty iced over and we only put out a few decoys on the river bank. The birds were really working the decoys though.

Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Nice looking greenhead :thumbsup:
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:12 pm

Well we managed to get out on the river a few times this weekend. It was very cold thursday morning. The temps were -4 with a good wind blowing, so it felt alot colder. Saturday morning was a little warmer and the snow moved in. We ended up getting about 14 inches or so. Both mornings we got a couple shots but the ducks were pretty educated and weren't decoying close enough.

We decided to go out sunday afternoon also.Still cold and snowy with a high wind. We scouted a new spot on saturday and jumped a few hundred ducks and geese off it walking in. The ducks and geese were still there today when we walked in also. We rushed to setup the decoys and had a decent looking spread out. Within a few hours we got 3 Mallards, 2 drakes and one hen. We had several flocks of geese try to decoy but the mojo was spooking em. It was probably the best day of the season so far and lots of ducks came in.

Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Great pics man keep them coming! :thumbsup:
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:25 pm

We got into alot of geese and ducks this weekend, ended up getting our first 2 geese and 5 ducks. It was bright and sunny but they were still flying great all morning. A few pics of the trip... :thumbsup1:

We got a dozen goose decoys for christmas so the goose huntin should be on for the last month of the season...
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:48 am

right on dude :thumbsup:
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:20 pm

We found ourselves back at the blind this morning. The sky was blue and it was very calm out. Not a whole lot of birds in the area but it sure was a nice day. We had one group of birds come in at about 10:00am. We shot the 2 drakes and let the hen fly. Saw a few geese but most of the birds left with this last storm.

A few shots from another trip on the Colorado River...

Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby captaincoot » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:41 pm

You guys in CO. are picture happy :thumbsup: . Great to see.
captaincoot
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Nice job we went out on the 1st and got 6 3 goldeneye, 1 greenhead, and two teal keep them coming :thumbsup:
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:50 am

Went out on saturday. The ducks didn't fly untill the middle of the day but their were tons of them. Let's just say our shooting wasn't up to paar. We did manage to save the skunk with 2 mallard hens and my first common merganser. The mergansers were flying over like crazy and they loved decoying into the spread. I thought they were shoverlers when I shot though. :thumbsup:

Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 pm

id prefer a shovler mergansers taste like barf
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:57 pm

canbakchaser wrote:id prefer a shovler mergansers taste like barf

If cooked right any animal tastes great. learn how to cook my friend. :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby Zirkels » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm

anyone who can make a merganser taste great has an exceptional talent for wild game cooking
Zirkels
hunter

Postby GreenHeadHarvest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm

I like the pics. got the same waders need to get some of that red and green camo its exactly what i need for the red reads they are everywhere in CO especially around water in eastern CO. going out this weekend hope to share some pics with ya guys. good luck if your goin out!!

:beer:
Waterfowl Hunting- not a passion an obsession.
Flat Coated Retrievers- gotta lov em
Ducks/Dogs/Guns/Beer/Jack D/cope/buddys=good old time
GreenHeadHarvest
hunter

Postby Husker20 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Nice pics were we hunt the ice is on the river like crazy but the birds are working great in our spread to we hve alot of goldeneye come into our spot over this coldweather really cool to and get some
Husker20
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Beautiful drake american merganser i got one of those this year as well
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzz.jpg
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby OnQuack24/7 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 am

no offense, but by the pictures, you fellas need some more dekes. I set out anywhere from 24-48 floaters with a half dozen full bodies and 2 or more mojos. If you did this late season it would help. Either set out only a few pairs of hens and drakes or put out alot of drakes with a few hens. This will help you alot. Nice work on the ducks, but try this next time and you will draw them in. Good luck to you all. Knock em dead
OnQuack24/7
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 am

Have you ever hunted the colorado river where we hunt??? I run 18 mallards 1 redhead 1 mojo and 12 canada's at most. This is more then plenty for my area. You never see more then 12 or 15 ducks in one flock around here. I would love to have more deekes but carrying anymore than that into the public land with two people is crazy. We have to walk a good ways before we hit our spot. it's just not practical to carry any more. crap 90% of the hunters I run into around these parts have zero deeks.

thanks for your opinion but no thanks We're doing just fine. I shoot more ducks over 6 deeks then I have over 5 dozen. what works for you works for you but I'm happy with the amount of deeks I have. If anything I'd like to change out 6 mallrds for a puddler pack from cabelas. I like to stay small during late season .
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:58 pm

OnQuack24/7 wrote:no offense, but by the pictures, you fellas need some more dekes. I set out anywhere from 24-48 floaters with a half dozen full bodies and 2 or more mojos. If you did this late season it would help.

'Round these parts this year, that many floaters on a river would lead to very little time in the blind. You'd spend all of your time chasing down the icebergs that snagged your decoy lines. :huh:
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:12 pm

No kidding most of the time I can't set out any floaters because there's so much ice on the river. If I do put them in the river it's very few right on the edge. I've seen some nice decoys float by us several times, I realy wish I had the bunch of 3 pintails that floated by us last week but they were to far out to try and rescue.

thanks everyone for stopping by and cheking out our hunts this year. We may not kill alot of ducks but we have fun and freeze our asses off doing it. :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Next

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting