Public Land Hunting

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Public Land Hunting

Postby MakeItRainDucks » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Im a college student with free weekends who is looking for decent duck and goose hunting spots. Anyone know of good public or low cost private spots. All i have is a gun and a few decoys and fake feed. Any help would be much appreciatted. Thanks everyone
MakeItRainDucks
hunter

Re: Public Land Hunting

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:14 pm

where do you wanna make it rain??? lots of public land to hunt... http://wildlife.state.co.us/LandWater/StateWildlifeAreas/
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby MakeItRainDucks » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:01 am

Sometimes that DOW website gets confusing but really as long as i can retrieve with waders or a pole with a net attached im happy. As far was location if you split the state in half from the mountains down i would like to stay east of the mountains. Im also worried about which places you have to get there 3 days in advance to camp out for a spot. I dont mind driving and staying overnight at places to get to good locations. And lastly my biggest fear i dont want places where people are right on top of each other. Lol i know it sounds like i have unreralistic expectations for public land but any information would help and again thank you for what you gave me. I very much appreciated it. Thanks again.
MakeItRainDucks
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Well I hunt on the western slope. I dont really know the area out east. Your best bet is to find a spot on the SWA map near you and go scout it. With less then a month left in the season noone in there right mind is going to give you their public land spot that produces well and has no pressure. The waterfowl community is a tough crowd on public land. get in your truck and drive around the the local state wildlife areas eventually you'll find a spot just like the rest of us.

I was in your same position at the begining of the season . It seriously only took one or two scouting trips to find a good spot to hunt. Finding the birds is going to be a whole different story though. thats going to take luck or a little talent and lots of scouting.
good luck on your hunt for the perfect spot and remember some areas out east are reservation only. :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:17 pm

dude we should team up next season
Last edited by canbakchaser on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby MakeItRainDucks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:34 pm

Really? Where do you hunt out of?
MakeItRainDucks
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:21 pm

I just moved to CO I hunted 5 times and shot 6 ducks and 2 geese there are ducks here but in the late season there are very few duck hunting spots on the river by that I mean the platte make friends and dont give up and do not under any circumstance sky bust if your looking for the 6 or so public river accesses get a map with recreational spots. as far as early season duck hunting i am uncertain I have yet to hunt ducks early when the water is open but there are good numbers of ducks and geese i Jeff foiles hunts east of denver somewere and murders geese he doesnt just show up anywere to hunt!
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:15 pm

the ducks are gone only the geese are still here theres a ton of em
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:03 pm

comnndduckhunter wrote:...do not under any circumstance sky bust...

Lol, good advice but rarely heeded from what I've observed on South Platte SWAs. Trying to "scratch down" a goose at 70 yards is not pass shooting, it's sky busting. I don't know if there's something in the local water causing depth perception issues or that a lot of people have NO idea what the effective range of their shotgun is, but the South Platte is home to some of the worst behavior I've ever witnessed anywhere in the country.
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Yeah I have hunted in 3 different states on public land and In colorado I have seen some of the most unsportsman like conduct litter everywere leaving hulls is one thing but popcans candy bar wrappers skoal cans no wonder private land owners are not so generous I wouldnt be either I think there is good hunting to be had but I have a fealing theirs a good reason for the limited access on the river system I guess it will be something I just have to get used to since I am neither rich or have many friends with private river access
I truly do think the platte river is an awesome place for duck hunting especially for hard to find birds for mounting
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:09 pm

i have private access to the platte river hehehe :nana: :devil:
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 am

lucky dog hey I was there not to long ago and I swear i saw a flock of 3old sqauw which i thought was an ocean duck I did not get the chance to shoot out of range but they were not goldeneye or buffle head they were good sized white birds fairly large actually not snow geese either thats the only bird that looked like it when I tried to look them up
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:36 am

no way they were old squaw are you a 100% positive they weren't pintails they are light tan and have hat pointed tail too
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 am

Or drake common mergs. Plenty of them on the SP.
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 am

ya leaky maybe in 1 in 100000 chance it was maybe an old-squaw but not 3
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 am

I cant hardly believe it either wasnt a hooded merganzer and way to big to be a pintail I got up to stretch my legs a little bit and when I came back they were diving to my mojos and got about 20 yards from the mojo and veered off by that time I had no chance I wasnt going to shoot them over the platte plus it was a long shot anyway. I feal like I saw bigfoot and no one believes me :crying: I saw merganzers that day these birds had a bill like a duck not teradactle thats why its fun to hunt this time of year you never really know what your going to see
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:37 pm

There are certainly hooded mergs around but that's not what you described. Large, white... Did they fly in a real tight formation and have straight necks? My money is still on common mergansers. They can even look like a drake mallard if they're coming straight at you.
Attachments
common_merganser.jpg
common_merganser.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 7909 times
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:09 pm

yeah they flew really tight together I guess I am used to merganzers being the size of a gadwall these were big birds the way the necks and head were straight that looks kindof like the picture but i thaught there was more white on the head area I have never seen them in mn or nd first year in co. so that could have been what they were I know they were not pintails seen plenty of them up north it was a wing beat I have never seen either I did see a smaller merganzer that day a hen single thankyou for the research :bow:
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting