1st gadwall

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

1st gadwall

Postby ejbarger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 am

I was able to harvest my first gadwall this morning, ive wanted one my hole life and got my chance today and i got her its a hen but im still proud of it and it will go on the wall. :grooving:
Attachments
gadwall.jpg
spot.jpg
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
Dog retrieve totals- Camo(3rd yr.)-41, Bandit(1st yr.)-4
ejbarger
hunter

Re: 1st gadwall

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:35 pm

im not tryin to be a show off i shoot a gadwall every time i go out but nice bird good job on first pig duck :thumbsup:
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Good for you! :mad: sorry we dont get much gads where we hunt!
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Not to ruin it for you man but we would kill gadwall everytime we hunted in MS. Still good for you though :thumbsup: All i've seen here in CO so far is mallards geese and teal. I went out to the sewer pond in Broomfield yeaterday (only open water) and it was covered up with birds. 2000+ Geese, 150 Mallards, 12 GWT, 6 Scaup, 12 Ringnecks, 4 Shovelers, 2 pintails, 6 Goldeneyes. NO GADWALL at all. Kinda shocked me cuz in MS It would be 150 Gadwall and 10 Mallards. Did the gaddie decoy or just come straight in on the MOJO?
duckman27
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 pm

i heve seen 6 divers all season can you hunt brewers pond??
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Husker20 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:33 pm

duckman27 wrote:Not to ruin it for you man but we would kill gadwall everytime we hunted in MS. Still good for you though :thumbsup: All i've seen here in CO so far is mallards geese and teal. I went out to the sewer pond in Broomfield yeaterday (only open water) and it was covered up with birds. 2000+ Geese, 150 Mallards, 12 GWT, 6 Scaup, 12 Ringnecks, 4 Shovelers, 2 pintails, 6 Goldeneyes. NO GADWALL at all. Kinda shocked me cuz in MS It would be 150 Gadwall and 10 Mallards. Did the gaddie decoy or just come straight in on the MOJO?

she came in perfect we were watching some mallards then we heard something and turned around and she was in our dekes really awsome to see :thumbsup:
Husker20
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 pm

That's what they always do. This year on opening day we were messing around and called most of the the gadwall we killed in with our mouths. That sucks that ya'll don't get to kill many of the out here. The drakes are really pretty. Do ya'll kill any blacks out here?
duckman27
hunter

Postby Husker20 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 pm

na never seen one here in colorado manly mallards and teal, benn seeing alot of ringnecks this past 2 years though
Husker20
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 pm

ya hardly and gadwalls only the 50 billions i see every time i hunt the platte ya lots of mallars no blacks what so ever i aint seen any teal at all it's gay
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Congrats on the first gadwall. I've never shot one. you other guys sure know how to act like ur crap dont stink let's see your guys's hunts???

thanks for sharing the pics man keep em coming, don't let these other guys get to ya. :hammer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm

no man we all have good attitudes here we all congratulated him we were just saying theres a ton up here
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:15 am

you may have gadwall up here but it just depends on where your hunting. Back in MS i had a hole and all we would ever kill out of it were woodies. No mallards. The mallards were in the area but they never came into the hole for some reason. Then you could go across the street maybe 300 yards and limit out on mallards all season long. I had another hole that no matter what part of the season it was all you would ever kill were widgeon and teal. Go across the creek and you limit out on gadwall. Go across the next creek and all you'll get are mallards. Ducks have different places that they like. Some places they like, some places they don't
duckman27
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:27 am

Catfish_Hunter wrote:Congrats on the first gadwall. I've never shot one. you other guys sure know how to act like ur crap dont stink let's see your guys's hunts???

thanks for sharing the pics man keep em coming, don't let these other guys get to ya. :hammer:

Thanks dude, i doubt they get one everytime they go out! i wanna see proof of every trip they get one! and oh well this is my 2nd year hunting on my own with my own decoys and all the birds i get are my first one of that kind of bird. So if people dont like that i post a pic of my first then sorry dont waste your time on posting and trying to come accross as a badass!
Last edited by ejbarger on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby ejbarger » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:29 am

duckman27 wrote:you may have gadwall up here but it just depends on where your hunting. Back in MS i had a hole and all we would ever kill out of it were woodies. No mallards. The mallards were in the area but they never came into the hole for some reason. Then you could go across the street maybe 300 yards and limit out on mallards all season long. I had another hole that no matter what part of the season it was all you would ever kill were widgeon and teal. Go across the creek and you limit out on gadwall. Go across the next creek and all you'll get are mallards. Ducks have different places that they like. Some places they like, some places they don't

i heard that dude, you gotta go where they want to be for sure, one part of our spot youll get into all kinds of ducks then you go up river a little bit and all you get into is goldeneye and mallards and one or two gadwalls.
2010 season stats:
Trips-6
Ducks- 14
Geese- 1
ejbarger
hunter

Postby Zirkels » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Another good place to get into a mess of gadwall is up in north park. Though during the time of year that north park is open the ducks plumage isn't usually very showy, not very good if looking for a mount.
I used to see tons of them on the platte, but haven't seen as many as of late, maybe they move out before mallards. They seem to be one ot the quickest species to decoy, they rarely need to take a second look before they will drop in.
Zirkels
hunter

Postby Husker20 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Zirkels wrote:Another good place to get into a mess of gadwall is up in north park. Though during the time of year that north park is open the ducks plumage isn't usually very showy, not very good if looking for a mount.
I used to see tons of them on the platte, but haven't seen as many as of late, maybe they move out before mallards. They seem to be one ot the quickest species to decoy, they rarely need to take a second look before they will drop in.

We hunt the arkansas river and rarely see gadwalls we saw only two last year and now just the one my bro got we have mostly ran into goldeneye, mallards, teal, some ringneck and some shovelers and wood ducks would love to get my first gadwall but we will see what happens the rest of this year :beer:
Husker20
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting