Wellington SWA

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Wellington SWA

Postby jwey23 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey all,

I just moved up this way not to long ago (just north of wellington) I shoot mostly upland but I know the wellington SWA is right near where I live, I haven't really heard much about it, but I was there one morning shooting doves and saw there's some bodies of water, but I saw it is back open any day of the week once pheasant opens (I work on weekends so I only have the mornings during the week), how is it for ducks? And is it really crowded during the week as well? Also I know it is east of i 25, but barely so I just want to make sure it is the central flyway right? . Thanks for any help/info!
jwey23
Newb

Re: Wellington SWA

Postby canbakchaser » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 am

i hunt a privaye lease bout 5 miles from it and we hear quite a bit of shooting but idk if thats good or bad
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby 303duckhunter84 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge, you can only hunt on the weekends and Holidays during waterfowl season. If I were you, I would not risk upland hunting during waterfowl season there as it tends to get very crowded with people who have no idea what they are doing. Plus, I've only see or heard a handful of pheasants there over the past few years. Your time is best spent somewhere else.
303duckhunter84
Newb

Postby jwey23 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 pm

303duckhunter84 wrote:To the best of my knowledge, you can only hunt on the weekends and Holidays during waterfowl season. If I were you, I would not risk upland hunting during waterfowl season there as it tends to get very crowded with people who have no idea what they are doing. Plus, I've only see or heard a handful of pheasants there over the past few years. Your time is best spent somewhere else.

This is what I read on the DOW site about wellington: "Public access is prohibited on the Wellington unit from the first day of the regular waterfowl season to the first day of the pheasant season except on Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and legal holidays.", maybe I'm interpreting it wrong but does that mean it is open any day of the week after pheasant? If it is central flyway...which I would think since it is technically east of i 25 seems like you could shoot ducks any day. I know there is better spots but its always nice to just get out with the dog some mornings, since it is so close and convenient but I don't want to risk any danger for either of us if there are a bunch of idiots shooting there
jwey23
Newb

Postby Belly up dux » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:56 pm

I grew up in Ft. Collins and although I don't live there anymore I still know many of the hunting areas. I remember that when we hunted Wellington there were a lot of sky busters, but that seems to be the norm anymore on public lands. Take it for what it is worth.
Belly up dux
State Moderator

Postby jwey23 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Belly up dux wrote:I grew up in Ft. Collins and although I don't live there anymore I still know many of the hunting areas. I remember that when we hunted Wellington there were a lot of sky busters, but that seems to be the norm anymore on public lands. Take it for what it is worth.

Oh I'm very grateful to have something this close, but is there any chance you can help me out with deciphering if it is open any day of the week now? I believe it is but have gotten mixed answers, I posted the exact info from the dow about the SWA a few comments up. Thank you for any help.
jwey23
Newb

Postby 37lbgoose » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:09 pm

contact the Ft. Collins DOW. they should be able to clarify
Arkansas River Valley Outdoors Prostaff
37lbgoose
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Im pretty sure that wellington SWA falls into the northern zone or the foothills zone and not the eastern plain zone. The last Ive heard of that place is it is hit/miss. By now the lakes should be locking up and building a nice thick layer. Ive used to run goose deks on the ice and did fairly well for public.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby 303duckhunter84 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Most of the ponds have been frozen since mid-last week. Good luck trying to pull any ducks in. However, if the ice is thick enough, you could set up a decent goose spread on the ice. There are plenty of geese in the area.
303duckhunter84
Newb

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting