New to Waterfowl Help and Advice Please

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

New to Waterfowl Help and Advice Please

Postby mwmjones » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:07 pm

I am new to waterfowl hunting and was looking for any help and / or advice please.

My son and I have recently started up waterfowl hunting just about a month or so ago. We have been hunting Big Game and almost everything else here in Colorado but now have been bitten and have the obsession for ducks and geese.

We have tried hunting several places up and down and along the river and some small ponds near Ft Morgan, Brush and even up near the Crook area with limited success and now was wondering if anyone could help or advise what next steps would be appropriate.

So anything goes and we would be open for any ideas, suggestions, help and advice towards learning something new.

We have all the gear and would love the time spent with any other hunters interested in going together, new areas to check out and maybe try or just some where and how to's

Any help is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to either PM or contact me directly via e-mail as well.

Thanks-Michael
MWMJONES@AOL.COM
mwmjones
hunter

Re: New to Waterfowl Help and Advice Please

Postby duckbuddy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Michael
Dont expect to see a bag full of birds each trip. This sport is harder than it seems. The most important factor in taking ducks is staying still. Since you guys are new, are you anxious or constantly swinging your head as the ducks circle? Never move and have plenty of cover. I dont hunt public much anymore, but if you tell me where you go, ill give you my knowledge of the area and where the ducks should come from. Hit me up as the season goes on and we can share a spot on the river. I love hunting late in the season, but right now, Ill be chasing honkers till my calls fall apart.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby mwmjones » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:03 pm

First things first Thank you for the warm welcome and all the helpful advice, hints and information. It has at least informed me to make the next steps and I thank you all.

Well I took the advice of a few members and just got out to hunt new areas and scout a few more on the return trips. We went to both Simpson ponds SWA and Big Thompson ponds SWA right next to the highway. We experienced very many hunters and very few birds and they were high flyer's that were not worth wasting shells on. I understand that public is exactly like that and I am OK with that.

I enjoy and will be doing this for many years to come and I love the time spent with my son, that is why this is the best thing for me even over ever getting any birds. He really enjoys it and I want to try and keep it that way.

I have done a lot of research and also reached out to the many resources including the local DOW officers and biologists for their take on there areas.

I have a few other quick questions for feedback please:

I guess my questions are is the weather or lack of moisture a factor to the amount of birds moving?

Is the public only access and overshot ares the problem as well?

Is there such a thing as an affordable place to hunt not too expensive for an occasional once or twice a month trip that won't break the bank?

Thank you in advance for any information, assistance or ideas.

Best Regards,

Michael
mwmjones
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:21 pm

Michael
Weather is what you need to look for first thing when deciding to go out. Blue bird day will move ducks around, but the flights are often quick. Cloudy days birds will move a little longer or sometimes later. I am a strong believer that ducks use the sun to detect unfamiliar shadows.
Is there a place where its affordable, probably not unless you can get private land.
Pressure will destroy how birds work a field or an area. More hunters keep birds moving but at the risk of moving birds completely out of the area.
Remember that the harder you are willing to work and travel will usually produce the most birds. Ask yourself if you are mentally prepared to to walk 2-300yrds to get to a spot. Is a $100 worth of gas not in your budget?
TIP: Dont hunt simpson ponds or big thompson unless you get weather and its on a weekday.

When the snow starts stacking up, keep looking for a PM or email from me, Ill take you and your son out and try to give you guys pointers and hopefully we can both work some birds.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 pm

dude thompson ponds is like 4 miles from my house
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby mwmjones » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks again for all the advice, help hints and information and direction on what types of things to do from all of you so far and it has been an experience.

Well we spent two solid days researching by scouting all the SWA’s, state parks and trusts and all kinds of properties up and down the river along I-76 and man was it windy. We have learned a lot and found great, good and horrible areas.

I guess the next step is to take what we have learned and also wait until we get some weather and moisture that we really need to get things going to see and get some birds.

We have a reservation for Barr Lake for this Saturday and were wondering if anyone whom has either hunted in the past or could point us in the right direction or advise us to use a specific strategy for the area we would appreciate it as well.

Thanks again to all of you that have taken your time either private messaging emailing and or calling me with all the helpful hints on how to or go check this out and especially come along and invited us out we learned so much and had a wonderful time and we definitely want to say THANK YOU for doing so.

Best Regards,

Michael
mwmjones
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting