Frustration

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Frustration

Postby BoomBoom303 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:52 pm

So not to sound like a sad sack, but I have had a rough go of it this year. I lost my Dad a few years back and he had all the connections with the private stuff. I decided to get back out and start hunting again, public. I have no connections with the private stuff. Dont have any local buddies who hunt waterfowl. Dont have any good spots. Cant afford to join a hunt club. Been out 4 times this year and have been sky blasted more times than can count, been skunked with no birds on 3 hunts, only got 2 birds so far this year. blah, blah, blah. I am just looking for any advice. I dont want to steal spots. I am willing to be a tag along if you will have me, just looking for some good folks to go shoot birds with. Freezing by myself with nothing to shoot at is getting old. side note - I dont know if anybody surfs around on coloradowaterfowl.com but I have been waiting for my activation for 4 weeks, just another note of frustration.
BoomBoom303
hunter

Re: Frustration

Postby Gamecock16 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Were in Colorado are you located? I have been hunting for a few years now and have only hunted private once or twice. The simple thing about hunting public is putting in more work then everyone else. It is said over and over, but scouting is the key. I have found that if you scout a public place look for the hard to get places. Look for the spots in between easy road access and the further you get away from the crowds the better chance you will have. If possible try and hunt the weekdays rather then the wekends to avoid the crowds. I am originally from Pueblo, but go to College down in New Mexico. It took me a few years down here in the desert to find a few places for ducks. Cannot tell you how many times I went home without shouldering the gun. I have hunted twice this year and got four each time. I just found a few spots on the river that do not get alot of pressure. I will be home for thanksgiving and xmas and if you are still looking to get out then lets do it. I cannot promise you a limit, but maybe a few chances at some birds. I would not get discouraged, rather think of it as a challange. Knocking down ducks on public is alot of fun and you dont have to pay for it. Also, keep in mind that the weather has been somewhat mild and the migration hasnt picked up yet. It should get a little better after this next front moves through the next few days.

Keep at it, and good luck
Gamecock16
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:28 pm

The key is to not hunt now, wait til geese season starts and the majority of colorado will be in private fields or river access. It opens a lot of doors to areas once heavily pressured. Any of those SWAs along I-25 corridor gets hammered weekly. Shoot me a pm, I can give a few pointers and one day we might meet each other. I hunt NE colorado almost 95% of the time.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:03 pm

I had the same thing happen with coloradowaterfowl. The key is to scout and you pretty much are gonna have to get up early in order to get a spot on public land
duckman27
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:36 pm

I also had the same thing happen last year with coloradowaterfowl.com and some time in the off season I got my email back...
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting