About ready to give up.....and pay up to join a club.

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

About ready to give up.....and pay up to join a club.

Postby Riverjumper » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:21 pm

I have spent many hours, miles and gallons scouting for a field to hunt for the goose opener this Saturday. All the fields I am finding are leased or owned by corporate developers that do not allow hunting. I've driven from Brighton to Ft Morgan to Ft Collins to Longmont many times with no luck at all

I went to school in Kansas and got hooked on waterfowl. About 9 or 10 knocks would get me enough fields to hunt the whole season, I am finding that is not the case here in CO.

I have 3 guys that are helping me and counting on me to get us a place to hunt this Saturday. We have about 6 doz full bodies and shells, a few doz silos and if we head to water about 3 doz floaters.

Any suggestions out there? My wife is an excellent baker and can make cookies or pie or bread for any help. I know, I know, send me a PM if you want to keep it offline. I have planned many hunts with this community in Kansas and have some excellent references on this forum if you need any.

Any suggestions on clubs that I should look into? Or even leases that might still be open for a reasonable amount?

Thanks Guys.
Riverjumper
hunter

Re: About ready to give up.....and pay up to join a club.

Postby duckman27 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:30 pm

I've knocked on three doors this year and have 5 fields that I have permission to hunt. Last year it was a lot harder to get a few field to hunt. I've heard that CWA (Colorado Waterfowl Association) has alot of land
duckman27
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 am

Maybe I am not lookign off the beaten path enough. All the doors I knocked on were for prime fields near big bodies of water. Last day to scout.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Zirkels » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am

I have never tried to gain access for goose, but I bet if you get out past Sterling and knock on doors closer to Kansas you will have greater success. As far as I can tell front range geese are for the rich or well connected.
Zirkels
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:44 pm

It gets tougher a tougher to find a place that is not over run with others,or leased up by the large outfitters/clubs.

You can still find a few places,though they are far and few between that you can knock on the door and get permission to hunt.

You hunting mainly public land?
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:59 pm

All public at this point, but haven't been out on a weekend yet. I am still trying to find my way around. I grew up here, just new to hunting here.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Riverjumper wrote:All public at this point, but haven't been out on a weekend yet. I am still trying to find my way around. I grew up here, just new to hunting here.

If you do make it out on a weekend it will be a real eye opener for sure,with goose season opening up on the east side of I-25 on Saturday it will a real circus out there.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:20 am

Went out to Public this weekend........there were good flocks of birds working the whole lake, but sky busters prevented anyone from bagging any geese.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby HereDuckyDuckyDucky » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Riverjumper wrote:Went out to Public this weekend........there were good flocks of birds working the whole lake, but sky busters prevented anyone from bagging any geese.

I'm no pro waterfowler, bowhunting midwest whitetails close, maybe but waterfowling no pro at all. This being said I have to agree with you. I'm not saying I've never done some sky busting but I refuse to let my actions affect the hunting of others. Maybe its just me but if those birds arent in your sweet spot. let somebody else call'em in. IMHO if you arent getting birds close, it is a good chance to practice calling and work on your deke spread rather than blast away to hopefully wound a bird.

That being said I have been killing some ducks on public land. In fact I'll be out tomorrow morning, on public land by myself but I still plan on shooting some birds.
HereDuckyDuckyDucky
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:32 pm

We've killed probably 200 birds off public land this year. It's been crowded some mornings but never TOO bad too often. Three things i've found that will help you kill more birds than everybody else on public land

1) Get to your spot early and try to keep people from hunting anywhere close to you
2) Make your spread look more lifelike than the rest. Set your decoys in a natural looking fashion. Don't do the 2 dozen mallards in a ball right in front of where you are hunting. That is what everybody does. Put some decoys off to the side up in the shallow water by the shore, put a couple out front( I use the pro-grade teal because they look REALLY lifelike), put a couple away from all the others.
3) Don't call too much especially if you can't call well to start with
duckman27
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I've hunted all public land this year, never seen another vehicle in the lot when I show up (must be early enough). I have killed a few ducks, we even got a few on Saturday.

As soon as geese move in, people think they can take em at 120 yards and ruins any chance of them working for anyone.

I hunted a lot of public out in Kansas too, it just seems people were more respectful of other hunters around. Different ball game out here, kinda hard to enjoy it with idiots walking through my spread 5min before LST (happened a few weeks ago) and sky busting like crazy.

Oh well, going to head out a few more times this week (6 day weekend)..... Cause I still love it.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:01 am

Hit public again yesterday with a couple guys from here. We were 1 duck short of a 3 man limit. Its about time to get into a good number out here.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Riverjumper wrote:Hit public again yesterday with a couple guys from here. We were 1 duck short of a 3 man limit. Its about time to get into a good number out here.

Congrats on the success,sounds like a good outing!
Yeah it should start getting better and better from here on out.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:13 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:
Riverjumper wrote:Hit public again yesterday with a couple guys from here. We were 1 duck short of a 3 man limit. Its about time to get into a good number out here.

Congrats on the success,sounds like a good outing!
Yeah it should start getting better and better from here on out.

It's been the opposite for us. We killed close to 250 in the first month and since then we have only shot maybe 30. The numbers dissappeared rather than tappered off :huh: I'll find them again hopefully
duckman27
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting