Where to go...

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Where to go...

Postby RCX2K » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi All, new to the forum, and only a part-time resident of the state. I spend the winters up near Aspen, but am a Minnesota boy at heart. Do a ton of duck hunting there every fall until work brings me back this direction the middle of November. Usually I get my fill of standing in freezing lakes and slaying late season, full plumage ducks by the time I come back to CO. This year was a different story, however. Warm weather kept everything further north, and has left me and my dog in a tizzy. That coupled with a slow start to the ski season has me itching to go on a hunt or two somewhere around the state.

The problem, I've never hunted ducks anywhere in CO, and don't have the first clue as to where to go. I've searched the internet far and wide, read the CO DOW brochures cover to cover, but still can't find a place that beckons. I'm looking for any input, and am willing to travel just about anywhere in the state so long as I had a reasonable chance of being successful. So far, I'm pretty keen on the Delta / Paonia areas, the San Luis Valley, or somewhere on the Colorado from Glenwood to Grand Junction. Any input, thoughts, hints, locations, suggestions, etc... would be most appreciated! Of note, I don't have a boat, so need to be able to wade wherever I end up. I don't have much to offer in the way of cash, but if anyone has access to private land, I could likely score some Aspen/Snowmass lift tickets in exchange for a hunt.

Thanks in advance.
Good hunting,
Ryan
RCX2K
Newb

Re: Where to go...

Postby duckman27 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:14 am

Eastern part of the state. Foothills/Plains
duckman27
hunter

Postby RCX2K » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Would really like to stay clear of crowds. Any thoughts on the western slope? Any one have any more specifics. E-mail or PM if you prefer. Many thanks!
RCX2K
Newb

Postby duckman27 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:55 pm

THat's gonna be hard to do unless you have private land
duckman27
hunter

Postby RCX2K » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:10 am

Thought maybe the crowds would be less further away from the front range. Hence one of my motivations for the potential locations I mentioned (delta, paonia, SLV, etc..). I'd likely be hunting Thursdays and Fridays too. Was hopeful between shooting these days and staying clear of the front range I could have relatively solitary hunting. Perhaps not. More importantly, I'd just like to watch a sunrise/set, shoot a duck or two, and let the dog work. Just looking for some insight as to where I can meet these goals. Thanks for the continued input.
RCX2K
Newb

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:33 am

I sent you a PM. Just remember keep that to yourself and or Private messages. Last thing you need is someone seeing that and joining you. The spots that I mentioned are almost deserted and I only seen one or 2 other guys hunt there. Good luck and post up some pics if you kill anything...
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting