Anybody make it out...

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Anybody make it out...

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:48 am

Any one else make it out for the last day of our first split?
Not many ducks moving this frigid morning,but tons of geese moving through though.
I managed one Mallard, it at least gave the dogs some thing to do besides just sit in the blind and eat the better part of my PB&J sandwiches. :lol3:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Re: Anybody make it out...

Postby pawneepredator » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Went out this morning but our lake had froze up pretty good. My brother was breaking ice and fell in head first into to hole he had broke, so we went home.
pawneepredator
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:42 pm

pawneepredator wrote:Went out this morning but our lake had froze up pretty good. My brother was breaking ice and fell in head first into to hole he had broke, so we went home.

Ouch! Not a good thing for sure,cold and wet.
Glad your bro made it out fine. :thumbsup:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby HereDuckyDuckyDucky » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:19 pm

I was out yesterday. Breaking ice and freezing cold after I got my golves wet. Didnt hardly see anything. I thought it would have been much better.
HereDuckyDuckyDucky
hunter

Postby pawneepredator » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Yeah luckily he was only in a couple feet of water. The birds seem weird this year we have only killed 1 shoveler in the last 3 weekends and now that it got cold enough to push some here everything freezes up. We just got permission to hunt a new lake this week and i'm sure its froze by now too. Oh well guess i'll be hitting the public rivers like everyone else when the season opens again.
pawneepredator
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:01 pm

pawneepredator wrote:Yeah luckily he was only in a couple feet of water. The birds seem weird this year we have only killed 1 shoveler in the last 3 weekends and now that it got cold enough to push some here everything freezes up. We just got permission to hunt a new lake this week and i'm sure its froze by now too. Oh well guess i'll be hitting the public rivers like everyone else when the season opens again.

I love duck hunting but sometimes you have to switch to goose when there are no ducks :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:21 pm

With the duck split over,I'm ready to start working on the geese,has been very slow season so far for ducks for me.
Once all of the rest of the bodies of water get solid the river will get hot.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 am

I went out Sunday as well, to find the plenty of ice. I kinda figures that though, so I brought some fullbodies and such. broke a hole open about 25 feet wide. Put 10 full bodies honkers out without the stands and about 8 full body mallards, 7 bigfoot floaters and a few mallard floaters. It was freezing over pretty quick with no wind so I put 2 honkers on a jerk cord to really create some motion. All in all it was a beautiful spread and never pulled the trigger. Got burnt by a single Drake pintail I should've shot if I wasn't dozing off and then got busted by another group of about 8. I think I would've had a chance @ some honkers but i waited til about 1 oclock and they still hadn't come back from the feed. I think they knew about the cold coming and were really filling up on corn!
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Dang that does sound like a sweet open water spread.
To bad about that Pintail,I'm still waiting on my first one,25+ years of hunting and never had a chance at one yet,some day hopefully.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby pawneepredator » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:48 pm

duckman27 you should kill a bunch of geese around your area. I always see a ton around there when i'm at work. I only have 6 goose floaters so its kinda hard to kill any geese right now. I'm thinking that i need to start buying a spread for next season though so i can hunt after the freeze ups.
pawneepredator
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm

I went out on Sunday in Windsor. We shot 3 geese. By we could have shot so many ducks. They are everywhere!! To bad the split is over. We saw mallards, goldeneye, shovelers, mergansers, we jumped about 6 hooded mergansers out of the creek. I hope they stick around until the 2nd split. Can't wait
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting