Weekend goose hunt plans

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Weekend goose hunt plans

Postby rvrrat01 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Heading up to Ft. Collins for the weekend with the plan to hunt geese, but the buddy of mine there says the number of honkers are way down right now. Do you think it's still early for their arrival, hoping the full moon will help, or that the freeze up may have caused them to pass through already. Any thoughts??
rvrrat01
hunter

Re: Weekend goose hunt plans

Postby duckman27 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:57 pm

I going to school in FoCo and the numbers are up but the majority of the birds have been staying close to town with all the snow. There are thousands of birds on campus
duckman27
hunter

Postby pawneepredator » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm

There were seriously a couple flocks tonight that looked to have over 500 birds. This was between Windsor and Greeley so there should be a ton of birds in that general area this weekend. Migration is def started.
pawneepredator
hunter

Postby rvrrat01 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks for the updates. I should have looked closer at season dates for ducks before I bought the airline tickets. There's no geese yet using the water at the club he belongs to and I was getting concerned, but who knows maybe the timing will be perfect for new arrivals. Plus just found out a friend of his did really well locally in a pit blind that we just got an invite to, we'll see.
rvrrat01
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Good luck this weekend. Full moon Saturday, so hunting might not be that great.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:22 pm

What groups that have been moving,are flying out late morning,flying right back into town and then coming back out to feed again right before dark and flying to roost.
Cruised by one of my fields tonight 30 minutes before sunset and had about 40 setting in it,will have to give it a shot this weekend.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:18 pm

They were moving late today. Around 10ish thay started getting up and flew well til about 11
duckman27
hunter

Postby rvrrat01 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:29 pm

We were up north of the atomic clock attenneas (20 minutes north of FoCo?)this morning on a lease pit. Very few birds flew by. Guys did really well in same field last weekend, but no shots today, stayed until 1230. Saw all the birds coming to feed southeast of Windsor this evening, another field in another pit in the morning, most likely all day.
rvrrat01
hunter

Postby rvrrat01 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. Today hunted near Greeley with Western waterfowl outfitters and ended up with limits for four of us by the end of the day. Only a couple small groups in the morning, then most of the geese worked the dekes after 3pm.
rvrrat01
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:44 pm

That's what we saw today too. No shots this morning, but lots of birds flying around 3pm when we were driving around.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:07 pm

I went and watched that field by the interstate that the birds kept dumping into and every flock of geese I saw as either coming or going from that field
duckman27
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 am

Yep, we stopped by there too. It wasn't as loaded as the day before though.
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Hunted area you are talking about wed through friday. We shot 34 geese with it being super hot on last two days. First day was a struggle with a big flock close by drawing everything. Those small geese are hard to kill sometimes but there were a lot of birds around. The last two days we did great and they were all big birds.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm going on the 23rd, opening duck for west of I-25. I was up a few weeks ago and could have shot so many migrator ducks but the season wasnt open. I saw a bunch of hooded mergansers and goldeneye
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby rvrrat01 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 am

skybusterbob wrote:Hunted area you are talking about wed through friday. We shot 34 geese with it being super hot on last two days. First day was a struggle with a big flock close by drawing everything. Those small geese are hard to kill sometimes but there were a lot of birds around. The last two days we did great and they were all big birds.

Sounds like a great week of hunting! Hopefully I'll get a chance to get back up there around the last week or so of the season. Went back to CA and hunted snows on the 17th. First time adding the sillosock flyers to the spread with the wind, amazing! Couldn't keep the snows out of the dekes.
rvrrat01
hunter

Postby massacre87 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

My buddies and I are headed out this weekend just north of Denver and we were wondering how everyone has been doing this year for geese in colorado. Any information on how you have been doing or tips for the year would help, Thanks!!
massacre87
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting