Duck Hunting Forum banner

Public land Close To Denver

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cast-n-blast 
#1 ·
I want to take my 12 y/o son out for his first weekend duck hunting experience. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent location close to Denver. I only have a few day's to hunt which interfeers with my usual location in Durango.

#2 ·
Congratulations on taking your son on his first duck hunt. You must be proud. I'm going to be taking my son (4 y/o today) next weekend. To get away from the crowds, I'm going to take him over to the western slope. If I were you, I'd wouldnt take your son up the I-76 corridor because of the crowds on the weekend. I'd look at somewhere in the San Louis Valley or to the Springs & then into south park. Right now is a good time to hunt Elevenmile Res. You'll need a parks pass, but there is some good hunting close to the inlet. Or you could hunt the "dream stream" there is some private land & some special regs, so be sure to do your homework. Just for future references I'll be the Colorado state board moderator, so feel free to post in the colorado forum anytime.

#4 ·
I usually hunt in northeastern colorado but grew up in the mountains. I was wondering what the dream stream was? Also i really want to hunt in the mountains and was wondering if everything is frozen or if there are any ducks up there at all?
Thanks alot
Sam

#5 ·
The "Dream Stream" is the 3.8 mile stretch of the South Platte River between Elevenmile Reservoir & Spinney Mountain Reservoir located in South Park. The dream stream itself isn't the best place in the world to hunt because of the number of fly fishermen, but either of the mentioned reservoirs hunt fair to descent when 1. They aren't frozen over & 2. You aren't hunting on a weekend when there isn't too many hunters. Right now both spots are frozen, but even if you wanted to, you couldn't get into Spinney because they close it in November & don't open it again until april. Most everything in the mts is frozen & is best enjoyed durring the first and early second splits. Happy hunting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.