planning to move to CO

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

planning to move to CO

Postby duckhunter8 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:49 am

hey guys i am planning on moving to CO next year. I am originally from California and i duck hunted religiously there. i then joined the army and i am stationed in Alaska, well currently in afghanistan right now but while i was in alaska i duck hunted every chance i got. i love to fly fish and do all kinds of hunting so when i get out of the army next year i am wanting to move to CO. So my question is before i move somewhere that i am going to have to drive a long ways to get good hunting and fishing in where would be a good place to look for a house. i keep hearing about the arkansas river in pueblo. well any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
duckhunter8
Newb

Re: planning to move to CO

Postby duckman27 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:42 pm

It all depends on where you move to. If you live in the mountains you will have great trout fishing but the duck hunting won't be great and you'll have to drive in order to find the good numbers. Then again if you live in the plains or foothills you will have the waterfowl hunting close and the great fishing further away
duckman27
hunter

Postby kill'em21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:07 pm

I agree. I live in the Mountains i kill a few birds up here but mostly to hunt ducks I drive down to the front range between 2and 3 hours away. On the other hand I only have to drive 10 minutes to get to Awesome fly fishing. If you like to hunt almost everything like i do then i like the mountains because when I'm not chasing birds I can chase Elk, mule deer, predators, bears and the list goes on and on. If you do end up moving out here PM me and if You're close to me i'll see if i can show you Around.
Sweetest words in the world are when 100 birds are trying to land on your face and somebody yells "KILL 'EM"

2012-13
6 bwt
3 gwt
1 wood duck
1 Gadwall
3 mallards
1 bluebill
kill'em21
hunter

Postby dshale10 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Not trying to hijack your thread, but instead of post another just like it I figured I would just add to this one. I currently live in SE, Ark. where duc, deer, turkey and fishing (bream, crappie, catfish, and bass) are great. Due to my job I may be relocating to N-NW Colorado around the Craig/Steamboat Springs area. I know nothing as far as elk, fly fishing, mule deer, and your NWA. Here I bow hunt some family land as well as a few WMA (wildlife management areas). I'm sure the duck hunting will not compare, but what game could I expect, and is your NWA public, do you purchase permit, foot access only. Just trying to see what to expect. Recently purchase a 15' speed demon alum, boat then the next day got wind of possible location change. Doubt yall have the boat races to duck hunting areas with a 25hp restriction like we do here lol.
dshale10
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:23 am

dshale10 wrote:Not trying to hijack your thread, but instead of post another just like it I figured I would just add to this one. I currently live in SE, Ark. where duc, deer, turkey and fishing (bream, crappie, catfish, and bass) are great. Due to my job I may be relocating to N-NW Colorado around the Craig/Steamboat Springs area. I know nothing as far as elk, fly fishing, mule deer, and your NWA. Here I bow hunt some family land as well as a few WMA (wildlife management areas). I'm sure the duck hunting will not compare, but what game could I expect, and is your NWA public, do you purchase permit, foot access only. Just trying to see what to expect. Recently purchase a 15' speed demon alum, boat then the next day got wind of possible location change. Doubt yall have the boat races to duck hunting areas with a 25hp restriction like we do here lol.

Not sure about the waterfowl over there but in Craig there is A LOT of elk. And that's about all I know about that area. But if your looking for geese and ducks, I would travel to the northeastern to mid part of the state.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting