Public Land Hunting in Colorado can get worse....

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Public Land Hunting in Colorado can get worse....

Postby duckman27 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Went up to Greeley to hunt at the junction of the Poudre and Platte this morning. Pulled into the parking lot at 3am. We went an took the decoys down to where we were gonna hunt and when we got back the game warden was waiting for us, at 3 AM. This is a spot that the parking lot is usually full at 2:30 every morning. The game warden informs us that they have decided to enforce the rule that you can't be out there before 4 am. This is a place, as well as pretty much every other SWA, that is covered over with guys already set up by 4am. So instead of letting us know of this new rule enforcement he writes my brother a ticket since he was driving.

My question is: Isn't the point of public land that you can hunt it on a first come first serve basis? And how do you just randomly decide to enforce this rule?

I've been hunting public land my whole life and this biggest bunch of crap i've had to deal with. Congrats CDOW :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Re: Public Land Hunting in Colorado can get worse....

Postby dysco » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:41 pm

I understand you're upset, but that's like calling a speeding ticket a random enforcement of a rule. It's a bummer, for sure, but those are the rules.
dysco
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 pm

I understand that. I dont agree with the rule that you can't get to the SWA before 4am. Some of the SWA's say an hour before sunrise. Do they plan on enforcing that too? I don't know if you're one of those guys that gets to your spot right before shooting time so if that's the case you wouldn't understand it
duckman27
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 pm

The ranger over there has become more and more strict, so it doesnt surprise me he gave you a ticket especially on opening split weekend. Live and learn, and be happy he didnt take your guns, decoys, and truck as proof of evidence. Did you see anyone come in as he wrote your brother his ticket?
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:44 pm

How many vehicles were in the parking lot when you pulled in?
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:25 pm

We got there first but it was really early so we just figured that we were the first ones there. While he was writing the ticket 4 trucks parked up on the road because they could see the wardens truck with the spotlight on top
duckman27
hunter

Postby Gen. Lee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Don't just send the money in to cover the ticket. Go to court and explain to the circumstances to the judge. I did that a few years ago and not only did the game warden's own testimony support my contention that the ticket was unjust, the judge dismissed the case. I didn't even have to pay court costs...

It will help a lot if you've never been convicted of a game violation.

The key argument to make in court is that the law has not been enforced as the game warden agreed. Law enforcement officials, according to you anyway, suddenly decided to begin enforcing the law without prior notice, thereby ensnaring otherwise law abiding citizens. Stress to the judge just how long it has been since the law has been enforced there.

Under those circumstances, if that is a correct account, the judge has the discretion to throw the case out and warn you to be on your Ps and Qs in the future. He might even warn the game warden against arbitrary enforcement of the law.

You really don't lose much by going to court and presenting your side. Judges generally are more merciful than game wardens...

Good Luck...
Gen. Lee
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:11 pm

I was thinking about going to court with it. It'd be a cool experience. The ticket is in my brother's name anyways
duckman27
hunter

Postby dysco » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:21 pm

duckman27 wrote:I understand that. I dont agree with the rule that you can't get to the SWA before 4am. Some of the SWA's say an hour before sunrise. Do they plan on enforcing that too? I don't know if you're one of those guys that gets to your spot right before shooting time so if that's the case you wouldn't understand it

No, I'm the guy who has to drive 1 or 3 hours to get to an SWA worth hunting in the early season. I've left my house at 2am to get out on the plains before shooting hours. I always try to arrive an hour before sunrise, which gives me time to walk half a mile and set up a handful of dekes. I typically hunt alone and travel light. It's not super-uncommon for me to be walking at legal hours, but if so, I'm at half a jog and headed for the far corner of the world.

Pregnant wife, overtime at work, can't afford a hotel, blah blah blah. I have tons of reasons why I'm not the guy walking out at 4am. What I really wish is that people would be straight about where they're headed when I talk to them in the parking lot so I don't adjust my plans unnecessarily and still bust into their set. I also get irritated when guys blow duck calls when I get close to them instead of talking in a quiet tone and telling me where they are so I can get moving. I'm thrilled that they camped out or live close by, but I don't need to feel like an idiot over it. I have no desire to encroach on anyone's hunting experience, I just want to watch the sun rise and take home a couple of birds. Most of the time I can pull that off, sometimes I get hosed. Showing up at 4am is not only very difficult for me, it seems silly. Luckily I don't hunt at the areas close to Denver, or I would be getting up early to drive as far as I could away from that mess.

I get that different places have different problems related to overcrowding, open water, and efficiency of space and enforcement of the regulations helps to resolve some of those issues. It also lets the wildlife at those areas rest overnight. Why does that seem unfair to you?
dysco
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting