White out condition hunt

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

White out condition hunt

Postby CSUfan237 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:54 am

I went out east and hunted the Arkansas river trying to beat the storm that was coming in and I did that but there was not a bird to be seen. I waited till 8:00 and then called it, I went out to pic my dekes up and next you know I had 3 wigeon land in my decoys and my gun was unloaded. I decided to stay a little bit more and hike down river to try and get out of the 50+ mph winds and I found a spot and set my dekes out and not 3 minutes after I had a flock of Mallards come right in and I missed both shots on a greenhead that wasnt 15 yrds. :mad: Then when they left I had 2 wigeon come right in and I had to hurry and load my gun and I missed the first shot and got 1 on the second. 5 minutes later a flock of 7 shovelers came in and I got 2 drake shovelers on 2 shots. I had to leave or I could of got my limit but a 45 minute drive home turned into a 2 hr. drive with white out conditions I couldnt see.

My take of birds...

My 2nd Beautiful drake Shoveler...
2013 Season totals:

Ducks- 4
Geese- 0
CSUfan237
hunter

Re: White out condition hunt

Postby jhummer7 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 am

Nice!! Did you by chance go out at all this last weekend? I went up to North East colorado and hunted the S. Platte river. Only saw 5-7 ducks all out of range. Was wondering if you went out this weekend and if there are still birds flying down there?
FOLD'EM

Greenhead: 1
Spoonbill: 4
BWT: 2
GWT: 5
Woody: 2
jhummer7
hunter

Postby CSUfan237 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah we went out to the same spot Monday and the numbers were way down. All we saw was geese flying high and a few Shovelers along the river. We were able to shoot 3 Shovelers, and we got 1 goose to decoy and come in and I was able to shoot it.

I cant believe none of these cold fronts pushed any birds in.
2013 Season totals:

Ducks- 4
Geese- 0
CSUfan237
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 am

Nice! Congrats bud! :beer: Hopefully something happeneds before this weekend and pushes some new birds into the area. Thinking about heading down to south east colorado this weekend. But we will see what happeneds.
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby CSUfan237 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:01 pm

I went down by Florence today along the Arkansas river and there were a lot of birds but they were decoy shy and shy in general to even come near the river with the Dam skybusters. I was able to decoy 2 singles and got both. I got a Drake Wigeon and Drake Greenwing teal. I have noticed the Southwest part of the state has more birds then any other part and I have been all over.
2013 Season totals:

Ducks- 4
Geese- 0
CSUfan237
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 am

Nice! Thanks for the info! Yeah, there were alot of skybusters out in the north east last weekend as well. Shooting at geese a mile high. Ruining the sport. It looks like my plans fell threw and i will be hunting the North east again. Was hopping to make it down to the arkansas this weekend, but maybe the weekend after. Thanks for the info guys! It is really hard to get people in CO to even tell you if the birds are flying in a region of the state. So i appriciate it! :beer:
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm

just an update on my last hunt. It wasn't last weekend but the weekend befor and didnt get anything. hunted north east on the river. Duck numbers where really down, geese where still pretty thick. Trying to go out this weekend. Will let you know the report
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting