new duck hunter/Jefferson county area

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

new duck hunter/Jefferson county area

Postby columbineman58 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Hey guys ik its kinda early... but i live in the Jefferson county area and im tryin to find a good place to hunt ducks that is kinda close ... im 18 and if anyone is lookin for a huntin partner im down since im new to the game... none of my friends hunt and im really interested in gettin started... got all the gear but now need to start lookin for a place and hunters to go with. have any suggestions please comment. thanks.
columbineman58
hunter

Re: new duck hunter/Jefferson county area

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Welcome to the sickness of waterfowl hunting,it can be very frustrating and very rewarding all in the same hour of the day. :lol3:
A good place to start out finding a spot to get out to is right here, http://wildlife.state.co.us/LandWater/S ... s/swa.aspx sure it's public,but I've had some great hunts on public lands,watch the weather and time your hunts during changes.
You might luck out and be able to tag along with some here on some private land hunts as the season progresses .
Good luck in your search,hope you can get out and get after them this coming season.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby columbineman58 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks a bunch for the help ColoradoGooser... im really glad i have found this site and fascinated by duck hunting/goose huntin... just seems like a great amount of fun... all my family are HUGE into big game huntin but im not. i really love shotguns haha... thanks again for the help! site seems like good people and fun time. ill bee back soon!
columbineman58
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:11 pm

it is a blast whether you shoot one or a limit.
Get out and get after them!
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Things you NEED to remember:
1) Don't shoot at a bird outside of 40 yds
2) Don't skybust. This means shooting at birds WAY high up in the air that are just flying by.
3) Don't pass shoot on public land. This means don't set up on a hillside or anything like that with the sole intention of shooting birds that are just flying by. There are guys that were there at 4AM or earlier to actually "hunt" the birds
4) MAKE sure you know how and when to call. In short, don't start screaming at every bird you see. If you can't call, don't call.
5) SET UP FURTHER AWAY THAN 100yds FROM OTHER HUNTERS IF YOU ARE ON PUBLIC LAND

I'll probably think of other things but these are just a few tips to get you started :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 am

duckman27 wrote:Things you NEED to remember:
1) Don't shoot at a bird outside of 40 yds
2) Don't skybust. This means shooting at birds WAY high up in the air that are just flying by.
3) Don't pass shoot on public land. This means don't set up on a hillside or anything like that with the sole intention of shooting birds that are just flying by. There are guys that were there at 4AM or earlier to actually "hunt" the birds
4) MAKE sure you know how and when to call. In short, don't start screaming at every bird you see. If you can't call, don't call.
5) SET UP FURTHER AWAY THAN 100yds FROM OTHER HUNTERS IF YOU ARE ON PUBLIC LAND

I'll probably think of other things but these are just a few tips to get you started :thumbsup:

:lol: :thumbsup: :beer:
good luck bud. My first season was last season. Its true what they say. Waterfowling isnt a passion, its an obsession
FOLD'EM

Greenhead: 1
Spoonbill: 4
BWT: 2
GWT: 5
Woody: 2
jhummer7
hunter

Postby columbineman58 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Thanks duckman. i will take all of those into mind! and yeah ma, keep em comin! all need all the advice i can get! haha... and im goin to buy some decoys. any ideas? ik i atleast need to start with 12... and im gettin ready to graduate so ill have some money to buy some good decoys. any brands you like to use? and my grandpa just bought me a rnt daisy cutter... i got most of the calls down... but still workin on my feed call haha... but yeah man keep the advice comin!
and thanks hummer :biggrin:
columbineman58
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:17 am

As far as decoys go the GHG Hotbuy mallards look good for the money. They hold up decently well. I really think the Pro Grade GWT are the best all around decoys but they're a bit more expensive
duckman27
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:14 am

duckman knows his stuff... he helped me out last year. And he is right i got the Hotbuys, $40 a dozen brand new. All the hens are the same and all the drakes are the same... but they worked well for me and so far with one season down they are holding up. I think you need a variaty in your bag... but they are a good place to start.
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby columbineman58 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Alright. sweeet thanks a bunch and sorry to be annoying but what are 2 of the best duck calls in you opinion for CO duck hunting...sorry to be annoying... just trying to soak up all the info i can get!
columbineman58
hunter

Postby columbineman58 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:48 pm

oh and hey hummer... were u located out of man? maybe we could go huntin sometime? ik its early but im lookin for huntin partners haha
columbineman58
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 pm

columbineman58 wrote:Alright. sweeet thanks a bunch and sorry to be annoying but what are 2 of the best duck calls in you opinion for CO duck hunting...sorry to be annoying... just trying to soak up all the info i can get!

The best call all depends on the individual. A mallard call is a mallard call. Some are loud some are soft. When you are hunting wide open lakes and such you are going to want a louder call and when you're hunting tighter areas like rivers, ponds and creeks you are going to want a softer call in order to keep the echo from being too loud.

My go-to call is an RNT Original. I think a lot of people overlook the power of a 6-1 whistle. You can make just about every noise other than a hen mallard on them and they're fairly easy to figure out how to use. Since you said you are a new duck hunter I would recommend a double reed over a single as singles tend to be tougher to blow. Haydels and Primos make some cheap double reeds that are really easy to make sound like a duck :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby columbineman58 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you duckman. I will take that into mind. and thanks again for the long responses haha. Again, anything new, keep em comin!
columbineman58
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:44 am

I got a buck gardner "double nasty" for my first call... it worked good for me last year (i think) i think i sound like a duck, but who knows. i am located out of denver...
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm

That's the beauty of waterfowl hunting you don't need a high dollar call to kill birds,you can kill just as many with a cheaper poly carb call day in and day out as an all acrylic call.
Quackhead brand made by RNT make some very good poly calls that will kill all kinds of waterfowl and not hurt your wallet in the process. http://www.quackheadcalls.com that can be found locally pretty easily.
There is a local call maker in the Greeley area that just came out with a less expensive poly call as well if you want to support a local small company,Mark at http://www.gandervalleycustomcalls.com can set you up with one,they are not on his website just yet,but you can always call and talk with him.

Sounds as though you feel you have the call sounds do well enough to get birds and you most likely do,don't worry about making that super fast rolling feed sound,your not going to need that in the field or on the water.Greeting,come back,hunting style feed,soft contented sounds will suffice day in and day out.There is a ton of excellent calling videos on youtube that can help take your calling to the next level if you so desire.

Keep your eye on craigslist as there usually is quite a lot of decoys for sale at decent discount.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby columbineman58 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 am

I will keep that in mind Colorado Gooser. Thanks for the help man! and I am definelty goin to check out that store and Greeley ! Thanks again brotha... and hummer thats awesome man! maybe we could go when the season rolls around... I'm goin up to metro and in the ROTC program. So ill have tuesdays & thursdays open & weekends! I'm so excited for this upcomin season its all I can think about. Im ready for my first bird haha... thanks again guys!
columbineman58
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 am

ya just let me know... On the public lands if you can go during the week that is usually better. I work during the week and only have weekends off. The public lands are usually pretty full on the weekends, but that is the only time i can go.
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby cohunter79 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 pm

EdM Revr
cohunter79
hunter

Postby cohunter79 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:03 pm

I moved back to Colorado in January. I was living in Michigan temporarily. My buddies took me out a few times and I'm hooked. It's def an obsession, I don't even want to deer hunt anymore. Lol....I'm working on getting my hunting clothes, decoys, and a call then I'll. e all set. I too need to find somebody to show me the ropes. So I wish you good luck this year.
cohunter79
hunter

Postby bigbuddha21 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:08 pm

im in westminster looking for more hunting buddys. i hunt northern co did well on ducks and got 15 snows last season send me a pm if you want my number
bigbuddha21
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting