S. Platte Scouting Report

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

S. Platte Scouting Report

Postby Xrivet » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 pm

My dog and I spent the day scouting along the South Platte today from south of Greeley out to the east. The Platte is still running extremely high and fast. There are lots of roads out making access to the SWAs difficult. It took me several hours looking for alternate routes to get to some of them.
    Banner Lakes - Ponds 1 & 12 reported dry. The rest look good if a bit high.
    Nakagawa - No visible water - not great for duck hunting in my very inexperience opinion.
    Mitani-Tokuyasa - With the Platte running as high and fast as it is, this looks like a tough area but may be better as the water drops.
    Brower - Currently closed. The road leading to Brower from both directions is closed and impassible. I finally made it to the SWA but it is closed to the public. This area sustained heavy damage in the floods; Brower was completely under water up until a few days ago and the roads are missing huge chunks. It does not look like this will be open anytime soon.
    Webster - Closed for the 2013/2014 hunting season. This area was completely inundated during the floods and is a mess.
All of the water and the recent warmer weather has brought the mosquitoes out in force.
Xrivet
hunter

Re: S. Platte Scouting Report

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Pretty much what I've witnessed myself,it's going to be a real trying season for sure.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Grouse » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:38 pm

I lived that way 10+ years ago I know the land you speak of. When I seen the flood reports, thought of all the special places :sad: Ive huntin. :sad: :sad:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Xrivet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Grouse, it is tragic to see the damage along the river. Beyond the destruction of property, it is sad to see the habitat completely destroyed. I was really looking forward to duck hunting this year but am not sure where to go now. This is my first year duck hunting here and this is not going to make it easy.
Xrivet
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:09 pm

I finally was able to get down to my spot on the Platte today.
The amount of destruction and debris is amazing.Should be able to start reconstructing a new blind to replace the one I lost in the flood.
One high light of the trip was , about 25 Teal in a small pond that the flood water created on the property,and we flushed up about 30 Woodducks that were milling around in the slack water on the edge of the new river channel.
Might be able to salvage the coming season anyway! :thumbsup:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting